Can LEOs see permit status' on their computers?

Unearthed

So my buddy was pulled over (OK he was parked in a parking lot and the officer pulled up) and after a brief round of questions the officer went back to his car and went to work on his computer. Upon returning to my friends vehicle the first thing he asked was "Are you carrying any weapons on you today?" Now that may sound like a normal question but there was no infraction committed, no warrants, nothing. Basically my friend fell asleep in his car at lunch in the parking lot of the store he works at. After a time-wasting round of questions the officer drove away.

When an officer looks you up on his computer, does it tell him/her you have a CCW permit? I'm in CT if it makes any difference.

I think they can tell in TN. The permit is linked to our drivers license. My permit number is the same as my DL number. I certainly have no idea about CT though.

My understanding

is that in most states it shows but there are some states where it doesn't.

That was pretty much the agreement last time this was tossed all around on PDO.

is that in most states it shows but there are some states where it doesn't.

That was pretty much the agreement last time this was tossed all around on PDO.

This is state specific, I know VA is this way. FL is not. It is common for some officers to ask if you have any weapons as a matter of procedure, doesn't necessarily imply they think you have one.

In Texas if you are a CHL holder and have your weapon with you you are required to inform the officer when stopped that you have it. He will know soon enough because when he runs your driver's lic. it will come up.

CCW info doesn't come up in California. If I'm not mistaken, the officer (if he wants to "validate" your permit) has to contact the issuing agency or the DOJ in Sacramento. If it's after hours I can imagine this might be a problem.

Here in Michigan they can tell off your registration and I would think your drivers license.

DJ58

In Nevada as soon as your plate is run the Officer knows you have a permit. :eek: It depends on which databases the agency has access too.

Personally, even though we have no requirement to inform, and even though the Officer already knows, I would still hand my permit with my license if stopped as a courtesy and to show my willingness to cooperate. ;)

in ks the highway patrol has that.i asked. local departments may not all have it,depending on the level of equipment they have.

CCW info doesn't come up in California. If I'm not mistaken, the officer (if he wants to "validate" your permit) has to contact the issuing agency or the DOJ in Sacramento. If it's after hours I can imagine this might be a problem.

CCW info DOES come up in California, you just need to access it. For wants and warrants (28,29) you use the DMV database. If you log into the DOJ data base you first see a CI #. That means they have been finger printed. You click on that, it shows what for, CCW.

CCW Status in central database

CCW info DOES come up in California, you just need to access it. For wants and warrants (28,29) you use the DMV database. If you log into the DOJ data base you first see a CI #. That means they have been finger printed. You click on that, it shows what for, CCW.

So it shows that you were finger printed for a CCW.....does it show current approval status with the issuing agency? If the Sheriff of smokey hollow issues you a permit then revokes it 3 months later, is all of that on a database in Sacramento?

So it shows that you were finger printed for a CCW.....does it show current approval status with the issuing agency? If the Sheriff of smokey hollow issues you a permit then revokes it 3 months later, is all of that on a database in Sacramento?

It will show current and if revoked. All that information is in the DOJ database.

In Texas if you are a CHL holder and have your weapon with you you are required to inform the officer when stopped that you have it. He will know soon enough because when he runs your driver's lic. it will come up.

To expound on what HK4U said, the trainer in my CHL class told us when we get pulled over, have both your driver's liscence and your CHL ready for the LEO, even if that appens to be a particular day that you're not carrying. That way when they do run the check and it shows up, they don't think you're trying to hide something from them.

BTW, I've been pulled over twice since the issue of my CHL and both times, the city and the DPS officer let me go without issuing a ticket.

In NV

If you live in NV, yes, it does show up the moment a NV LEO runs your plate and you're a NV resident.

I do not know if there's a cross reference between license plates and recognized CCWs in NV (i.e. a Utah plate flags a possible UT CFP holder because the name of the register owner(s) of the vehicle registers a hit on the UT CFP database by name). It all depends on what NV LEOs can do with respect to searching recognized CCWs.

Florida has an online verification system as they made the NV recognition list the beginning of this year. It is possible for a Florida LEO to check your CCW status. It also depends on the nature of the reciprocity agreement or what access States grant through the nationwide law enforcement datacom network. If a State you have is on the NV recognition list, you can bet a LEO can find out your CCW status somehow.

We have to tell in Ohio, and it comes up when the LEO calls it in. I was pulled over for a tail light, and when it cam back over the radio I herd my name and CCW after. I had already told the LEO I had a weapon on me. Was told to get the light fixed and sent on my way.

So in these states that have their CHL listed on the vehicle registration, what if it's your wife or kid or grandma driving your car? Lotta kids cars are registered to parents.:eek::confused:

So in these states that have their CHL listed on the vehicle registration, what if it's your wife or kid or grandma driving your car? Lotta kids cars are registered to parents.:eek::confused:

In Washington and Oregon your CHL is attached in their records to your drivers license (Washington does not have a picture on its CHL for just that reason). Likewise your vehicle registration is linked to the licensed driver. All the officer knows until he/she walks up to the window of the car is the registered owner of the vehicle may have a CHL.

In Oregon and Washington you DO NOT have to reveal that you are a CHL holder nor do you have to alert them that you are packing- I did not say it was smart not to alert them, but you are not required to do so.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back