Can I keep my permit?

Scarecrow

does anyone know if there is a way to keep my michigan ccw permit if I leave the state? I might have to do that in the near future, and michigan is a good permit to have. so does anyone know if there is a way to keep it? like maybe if I rented an apartment in my name or bought a piece of land or something? thanks for any input.

In the majority of the states, once you leave a state, you cease being a resident. So keeping and using that permit would be illegal. Just owning land or renting an apartment in a state still won't make you a resident of that state unless you lived there more than 50% of the year.

It depends

Where will you move to? If it is a shall issue state, then you will have a home state license accepted within MI. If NJ or some other god forsaken place, oh well.

Otherwise, don't do the legal hokey pokey just to keep the MI permit. It might come back and bite you on the butt.

how long are you going to be out of state ? and will you be changing your drivers licance? and do you plan on returning to mi.. if you are going to school/ or just working out of state for a while.

Last edited:
Just maintain your residency status in your home state until you have been in Mi for 6 months, then get a Mi DL and apply for you rCCW, You can take the training and classes while you are waiting for the time to elapse, there is still the 45 days it can take for your permit to be verified but that is better than 6 months.
I'm not a lawyer but as long as you have your states DL but live here.... I believe you are not required to get a MI DL until you have actually declared you are a MI resident and there is a 6 month grace period until you must declare that you are one. Kids come here to go to college for 9 months of the year and do not declare residency and hold jobs while they are here... and do not declare residency unless they decide to stay...

Last edited:
I always figured you could change it to a non res---I guess I was wrong

Michigan does not issue nonresident permits. Depending on which state you move to, you might consider getting a nonresident FL or UT permit before you move so that during the period that you're not a resident of your new state, you'll still be able to carry. Or, if you're moving to an open carry friendly state, just open carry. What state are you moving to?

Michigan does not issue nonresident permits. Depending on which state you move to, you might consider getting a nonresident FL or UT permit before you move so that during the period that you're not a resident of your new state, you'll still be able to carry. Or, if you're moving to an open carry friendly state, just open carry. What state are you moving to?

things are still actually up in the air.. if I move I am not sure to which state. ( but you better believe it will be a gun friendly state). I already have a Utah permit. but the state of south carolina does not honor Utah.. but it honors Michigan.. I go to south carolina to get eye treatments a few times a year for a week at a time. basically I am trying to figure out what my options are, if there are any about keeping my michigan permit.

things are still actually up in the air.. if I move I am not sure to which state. ( but you better believe it will be a gun friendly state). I already have a Utah permit. but the state of south carolina does not honor Utah.. but it honors Michigan.. I go to south carolina to get eye treatments a few times a year for a week at a time. basically I am trying to figure out what my options are, if there are any about keeping my michigan permit.

If you're going to SC just to have this treatment done and spend the rest of the year in MI, and it's an annual thing, why not keep things the way they are? Are there any states besides SC you're considering?

If you're going to SC just to have this treatment done and spend the rest of the year in MI, and it's an annual thing, why not keep things the way they are? Are there any states besides SC you're considering?

just might be moving out of michigan for a while. still not sure exactly how things will go. if I move to another state I will still be going to SC for the treatments.
on a side note this is my 1000th post!

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back