Can I Get A CCL In Michigan Without Being A Resident?

Coastie68

I currently live in Michigan with a Michigan Driver's License, but my residency is in Ohio. I didn't change my residency because I will be moving again to another state in 2011. I am wondering what the laws are on this matter. thanks, Steve

From what I can find Michigan does not issue non-resident permits. They also require you to be a resident of any reciprocal state you may have a permit from. This means, should you decide to stay in Michigan, you'll need to set up residency. Michigan does have a reciprocity agreement with Ohio so that may be the way to go.

Last edited:
Coastie, a little more research shows that to obtain a Michigan drivers license you must show 2 items of proof of Michigan residency. In this case it's very likely Michigan already considers you a resident. I see in an earlier post you are in the Coast Guard. Residency (home of record) in the military is for tax deduction purposes and move entitlements when you separate/ retire. If you've been there more than six months, contact your county gun board and ask them about getting a permit. By the way, welcome to USA Carry.

Welcome to USA Carry, Coastie68. Not only does Michigan not issue permits to non Michigan residents, it only honors resident permits from other states. So, if you want to carry there as an Ohio resident, get an Ohio permit.

I currently live in Michigan with a Michigan Driver's License, but my residency is in Ohio. I didn't change my residency because I will be moving again to another state in 2011. I am wondering what the laws are on this matter. thanks, Steve

The main questions here are the legality of living in Ohio but maintain a Michigan DL which according to law is your legal state of residency. You can be a temporary resident with out loosing your perminant MI residency, so the issue the will be the deciding factor is where to you pay your state income taxes to?

If Mi then there would be no issues as long as you are maintaining a Mi address, parents, uncle, someplace for a legal mailing address, then do a mail forward. I do know of people that live in Mi and work in Ohio but maintain a residence in both states for the convince of not having to commute long distances.

If it is Ohio then you are their property, if Mi then you are ours, yes working in one state and living in a different one you still have to file a return in both states, but which one actually is claiming you for the full Monty will be the deciding factor.

Now that I read your original post again, how could you live in MI and have a MI driver's license but not consider yourself a resident? As far as the state of Michigan is concerned, you reside there, not Ohio. Where's the confusion?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back