Can Canadians get a US CCW Permit?

I sure wish I knew the answer to your question. If anybody would know it would probably be "netentity". I'm sure you'll get an answer here eventually.

Thanks Glockster! Was starting to wonder if I hit a nerve with my question...no one was responding! :help:

Nah... There are a lot of great folks here! Some of them very knowledgeable! Sometimes it takes a a day or two to get a response. Especially if no one knows the answer:laugh: Keep an eye out for a PM.

here in SC, I work with a Green Card Canadian. He was in the same CWP class as me. He had to show the green card, along with the his drivers license, but other than that, it was all the same process as me... picture, fingerprints, etc...

Washington state will grant you a CCW as an alien f you have an office in this state

That statement is not true. Washington state is a SHALL ISSUE state. There are no US Citizenship nor Washington State residency requirements for the WA CPL. They WILL issue a CPL, and are required BY LAW to issue a CPL to an alien, so long as that alien is eligible to possess firearms by having a WA Alien Firearms License (AFL). Without the AFL, an alien cannot possess a firearm legally in the state of WA.

You can look up all of the states' laws here:

Link Removed

Thanks NavyLT.

I scanned through the content quickly however I did not see mention of requirements or conditions to obatin a CCW. All I saw were enforcement conditions for each state. Although that is a very useful resource, I'm not sure if that will have the answer to the questions I have.

Michigan Firears Laws.

Well, ATM CF..
From The Mich Firearm Laws..
(b) The applicant is a citizen of the United States or is a resident legal alien as defined in section 11 of title 18 of the United
States Code, is a resident of this state, and has resided in this state for at least 6 months. The concealed weapon licensing board
may waive the 6-month residency requirement for a temporary license under section 5a(8) if the concealed weapon licensing
board determines there is probable cause to believe the safety of the applicant or the safety of a member of the applicant’s family
is endangered by the applicant’s inability to immediately obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol.

I'll put a link below to the Michigan State Police Web Site. There you can down load an Adobe PDF file of the Mi Laws.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/firearms.pdf

MSP - Firearms

Good Luck,

Thanks for the vote of confidence Glockster20. I've been on as much due to a sinus infection. Haven't been to the range in a couple of weeks because of it either.

Depends on the State. Some States flat out will not issue to non-US citizens.

I will admit that I don't keep track of the legal alien issuance criteria. I can sum it up as follows as Utah BCI covered it in the instructor class which I took last March to renew my UT CFP instructor certification.

For the popular non-resident CCWs, FL and UT do issue to legal aliens. NV and WA issue to legal aliens as well. NH probably will issue if you have any other State's CCW. I can't comment on CT since they look for reasons to deny or revoke. FL also issues an annual license to consular security officers. In WA, you need an alien firearm license. Last I heard they weren't issuing them. You need a WA alien firearm license just to touch a firearm in WA so even if you're carrying under reciprocity with a UT CFP, you are still in violation of WA State law unless you have a WA alien firearm license.

You have to be able to legally purchase firearms in the US from a FFL before you can consider getting a CCW from any State in the US. Being able to import your firearms from your country is not enough, you have to be able to legally buy here from a FFL. To legally purchase here, you should have a State issued DL or ID and a green card or a visa. A vast majority of the States make that an issuance requirement. If you can't buy here from a FFL, don't expect to carry here.

If you're applying for Utah and you're here legally on a visa instead of a green card the expiration date of your UT CFP will be the expiration date of your visa if it is under five years from the date of issuance of your UT CFP.

A Canadian with handguns? Now how did you manage that? Aren't those outlawed for civilians and even retired LEOs and military?

Thanks NavyLT.

I scanned through the content quickly however I did not see mention of requirements or conditions to obatin a CCW. All I saw were enforcement conditions for each state. Although that is a very useful resource, I'm not sure if that will have the answer to the questions I have.

Yes, I noticed that there is a note at the beginning of the document that mentions that their compilation doesn't really deal with carry requirements too much. But, what I really use it for is to get statute numbers to make it easier to find the applicable section in the states' laws.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Glockster20. I've been on as much due to a sinus infection. Haven't been to the range in a couple of weeks because of it either.

Depends on the State. Some States flat out will not issue to non-US citizens.

I will admit that I don't keep track of the legal alien issuance criteria. I can sum it up as follows as Utah BCI covered it in the instructor class which I took last March to renew my UT CFP instructor certification.

For the popular non-resident CCWs, FL and UT do issue to legal aliens. NV and WA issue to legal aliens as well. NH probably will issue if you have any other State's CCW. I can't comment on CT since they look for reasons to deny or revoke. FL also issues an annual license to consular security officers. In WA, you need an alien firearm license. Last I heard they weren't issuing them. You need a WA alien firearm license just to touch a firearm in WA so even if you're carrying under reciprocity with a UT CFP, you are still in violation of WA State law unless you have a WA alien firearm license.

You have to be able to legally purchase firearms in the US from a FFL before you can consider getting a CCW from any State in the US. Being able to import your firearms from your country is not enough, you have to be able to legally buy here from a FFL. To legally purchase here, you should have a State issued DL or ID and a green card or a visa. A vast majority of the States make that an issuance requirement. If you can't buy here from a FFL, don't expect to carry here.

If you're applying for Utah and you're here legally on a visa instead of a green card the expiration date of your UT CFP will be the expiration date of your visa if it is under five years from the date of issuance of your UT CFP.

A Canadian with handguns? Now how did you manage that? Aren't those outlawed for civilians and even retired LEOs and military?

Edited

I respectfully disagree with those statements. There a few states that issue CCW's to persons 18 or over. A person 18 to 20 cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL. Additionally, many states allow open carry of a firearm by any legal to possess that firearm, without a CCW and regardless of where that firearm was legally obtained. Vermont allows concealed carry without a license.

I respectfully disagree with those statements. There a few states that issue CCW's to persons 18 or over. A person 18 to 20 cannot purchase a handgun from an FFL. Additionally, many states allow open carry of a firearm by any legal to possess that firearm, without a CCW and regardless of where that firearm was legally obtained. Vermont allows concealed carry without a license.
I'm well aware of the 18 to under 21 States as I have posted the best coverage solution for those people a few times here.

Persons 18 to under 21 can purchase long guns from a FFL, notice in my previous statement I used the term firearms, I did not specify handguns. In those States that issue to persons 18 to under 21, if you cannot purchase a long gun from a FFL, you won't get their respective CCW. Also if you are prohibited from purchasing a firearm from a FFL, you are also federally prohibited from purchasing from a private party.

I'm also well aware of the permit optional issues of AK and none required in VT. However I doubt that it will do the OP much good since I doubt he'll be conducting business in VT, AK maybe.

The OP's question was could he get a US CCW, not where he can carry.

The number of States that allow open carry in comparison to concealed carry with the appropriate license or permit is in the minority. The number of gold star open carry States is in the minority. Some of those States do not allow open carry in the vehicle.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back