Campus alert system

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
I just got the following email from my employer (I'm also a student sometimes). I'm leaving the institution name in, because it's public information that UNF is located in Jacksonville. Setting aside their ineffective GFZ policy for a minute, what tactical advantage would a campus-wide comm system give?

Say an active shooter were on campus, tearing up a building...if a text message or automated audio message went out to "Lock your doors, seek cover and do not go near building 2; if you are away from campus, stay away until further notice" - would that really accomplish its intended end? I'm inclined to think that people would stupidly try to go see what's going on. After all, we're a species of rubberneckers.

Then again, people might do the smart thing and lock down...after watching the news, people should know what's going on. The cops there make me feel less than secure, though...I've never heard of them doing a real-life drill in shooter response when the parking lots were full of cars and buildings were full of students and staff. Most of them look like they're probably better at chasing jelly donuts than criminals.

It has come to the attention of the Crisis Management Team that you have not yet supplied a phone number for the University to contact you in the event of an emergency. Every employee needs to register a phone number for the new Code Red Campus Alert System that will be activated summer semester. This will be the primary system UNF will use to communicate with the campus community during emergencies. In the wake of tragedies that have occurred on other campuses, we take seriously the need to improve our communication systems and Code Red is a major step that direction.

Once you get online (see the directions below), you will be asked to register a phone number. Because we will upload office phone numbers from our current data base, please supply either your cell phone or your home number as your point of contact. If you are a routine cell user, I would recommend using that number.

The directions for completing this registration appear below.

Thank you for taking the time to do this today.

I guess maybe it's better than nothing. Very little better. Letting you carry your handgun would be a lot better. I guess that makes too much sense.

I agree Dr. David, that would be the best thing they could do. As previously concluded, a police response time of six minutes, is still way too late. I am wondering just how long it would take to alert people through text messages and what-not. The best security is the people themselves. We can take care of ourselves, as long as the government lets us.

By the way, great new avatar, Toreskha

The only benefit I can see to this is to have instructors keep students in the classrooms and other buildings can lock themselves down and mitigate their threat from the shooter.

I agree Dr. David, that would be the best thing they could do. As previously concluded, a police response time of six minutes, is still way too late.
To their credit, it shouldn't take that long for the cops to show up to anywhere on campus...it's not that big, and in a shooter situation, I'd hope they would drive those cars they never use up on the sidewalks and get there faster. They also have some cop golf carts and a motorcycle which could be used for quick response.

Still, I always try to locate a solid weapon nearby to hurl at a shooter if needed. If I clock someone in the head at 10 feet with one of those big heavy hole punchers, it might be almost as effective as a firearm.

Thanks. Maybe Chavez & Co. could take a lesson from it.

that's great and everything to make people aware of something pretty quick.. but something tells me that sending out a text message is not going to stop some idiot from doing the damage he came to do.

response time

I agree Dr. David, that would be the best thing they could do. As previously concluded, a police response time of six minutes, is still way too late. I am wondering just how long it would take to alert people through text messages and what-not. The best security is the people themselves. We can take care of ourselves, as long as the government lets us.

Right you are Cooter. If they get there in 6 min. they have done good but even at that there is no telling how long it will take for them to go in. Look how long they stood outside the Columbine High School.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back