Cameras to Predict Criminal Behavior

HK4U

Brave New World, 1984, Animal Farm. It's here.

Thought police?
Cameras to Predict Criminal Behavior - World - CBN News

World

Watch Low Band More
CBNNews World
Top Stories
Ford: CEO Will Work for $1 to Get Loans
Obama Seeks Governors' Economic Advice
Worst Downturn Since 1980s?
Balance of Power Rests with GA Voters
U.S. Warned India Before Mumbai Attacks
India to Pakistan: Hand Over Suspects
Report: Bio Attack Likely in Next 5 Years
Barbara Bush to be Released from Hospital
Court Brings Down Thai Government
Cameras to Predict Criminal Behavior
CBNNews.com
December 2, 2008

CBNNews.com - Britain is planning a new way to fight crime by setting up surveillance cameras - or CCTV cameras - that can predict a crime before it happens.

The cameras will alert operators to suspicious behavior, such as loitering or unusually slow walking, the London Daily Mail reports.

"It could detect unattended bags… or even predict if someone is going to commit suicide by throwing themselves on the track," said its inventor Dr Sergio Velastin.

The person would then have to explain their actions to a police officer.

"It's the 21st century equivalent of a night watchman," Councillor Jason Fazackarley explained. "But unlike a night watchman it never blinks, it never takes a break and it never gets bored."

RELATES STORY:
Britain Begins National
Identification Plan

RELATED BLOG:
Stakelbeck on Terror
The Mail reports the move could fuel fears that Britain is becoming a surveillance society. Such fears aren't new. As early as 2002 the British civil right organization Liberty expressed concerns about the cameras.

"It is not so much the technology but how it is used that concerns us, and how to keep the balance between protecting safety and protecting privacy," said a Liberty spokesperson.

But one British citizen said, "I think the cameras are needed. Young boys are always up to no good in my neighborhood. I feel safer with the cameras. We need more, possibly."

The country is already using more than 4 million security cameras.

Sources: CBN News, BBC, World Magazine

Big Brother has been alive and well in Oceania (oops, I meant the UK) for as long as I can remember. I'm just surprised that this idea hasn't made its way to PRNYC or Chicago yet.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back