Called 911, but no one came in time

My home security is equally as layered, and I would hope that long before I had to shoot someone, they would give up trying to get into my home. Truth be know, and I think most up here would agree wit hme, I really don't look forward to blowing someone away, but I also feel that if given a reason, I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger. I'd rather just not have anyone try to assault my home, period.

+1. That is why I have bars on all doors and windows and a security system. If and when I pull the trigger I want it to truly be the last resort.

I called 911 5 various times a few years ago from a cell phone and the least amount of time that it took was 6 minutes to talk to someone and 17 minutes the longest. Not to get a police response but rather to talk to an operator. Supposedly it has gotten better but I'd hate to bet my life on it.

Just remember when seconds count, the police are only (hopefully at LEAST) minutes away.

As for the house, the layered security is a good idea. You can't be 100% safe ever in the world. Not and have a life. But you can make it not worth someone's while to try to break in. Those who would burglarize you home are (normally) looking for an easy hit. If it's seen as being more trouble than it's worth, usually they'll move on.

Interesting

Instead of opening a new thread, this info is fitting here. I recieved it via a news letter this afternoon. It is 2k6 info and I do not see it on any thread.
I spend some time looking at the Bureau of Justice Statistics Web page as well. Bureau of Justice Statistics Home page

Police Response Time: When SECONDS count, police are only minutes away.

Percent distribution of incidents where police came to the victim, by police response time and type of crime. source: U.S. Dept of Justice National Criminal Victimization Survey, 2006. (see table below)

Response Time 5 min 6-10 min 11 min - 1 hour Within 1 day >1 day unknown Not ascertained
Crimes of violence* 26.6% 32% 29.7% 5.9% 1.8% 3.8% 0.2%
Robbery 26.4% 38.9% 15.5% 5.8% 8.8% 4.5% 0%
Aggravated assault 32.6% 30.3% 27.9% 4.6% 0.7% 3.5% 0.4%
Simple assault 23.4% 32.3% 33% 6.8% 0.8% 3.5% 0.2%
Property crimes 10.8% 17.9% 46.7% 16.7% 1.9% 5.8% 0.1%
Household burglary 11% 18.5% 48.4% 14.4% 1.5% 6% 0.2%
Motor vehicle theft 12.3% 16.9% 51.1% 12% 0.9% 6.3% 0.4%
Theft 10.4% 17.9% 44.8% 19.1% 2.3% 5.6% 0%

Last edited:
that is so sad. and still there are so many people who would say that guns should not be used for self defense...

About a year or two ago, I was leaving work. As I was driving up the (twisty) Freeway on-ramp, I noticed an SUV that crashed into the side. I saw the driver getting something out of the car, so he seemed all right. However, it was after the twist of the ramp, so if somebody was speeding up the ramp, and not paying attention, they could hit this guy. I dialed 911 on my cell phone to let somebody know about this. Well, about 15 minutes later I was off the Freeway, and gassing up my car at my local Chevron by the time I got an operator. This has REALLY shaken my confidence in 911. If it takes 15 minutes to get an operator, how am I supposed to get help in a REAL emergency?

I love the weather here in Southern California, but we really need some new laws that allow us to protect ourselves, as I no longer believe 911 can help in an emergency.

About a year or two ago, I was leaving work. As I was driving up the (twisty) Freeway on-ramp, I noticed an SUV that crashed into the side. I saw the driver getting something out of the car, so he seemed all right. However, it was after the twist of the ramp, so if somebody was speeding up the ramp, and not paying attention, they could hit this guy. I dialed 911 on my cell phone to let somebody know about this. Well, about 15 minutes later I was off the Freeway, and gassing up my car at my local Chevron by the time I got an operator. This has REALLY shaken my confidence in 911. If it takes 15 minutes to get an operator, how am I supposed to get help in a REAL emergency?
Write a letter to Obama asking for him to send help and explain that you aren't allowed to carry a firearm to defend yourself. It will get there before 911 picks up.

+1. That is why I have bars on all doors and windows and a security system. If and when I pull the trigger I want it to truly be the last resort.

What about dogs? I think dogs would nicely complement bars and alarms.

Best House Alarm Ever is not a firearm

What about dogs? I think dogs would nicely complement bars and alarms.

Tatted, this is a reprint of a thread I published back in November. I like the dog alarm idea very much.

Default Best House Alarm Ever is not a firearm

At 5:30 this morning, a holiday, we're sleeping soundly. But, wait, the dog wakes us, she is barking hysterically. We bolt upright in bed. Listening, watching, waiting. Nothing. Pistols in hand, open the bedroom door so slowly, quietly, let the dog run out, still barking hysterically. Nothing. Check the doors. Check the windows. Again, nothing. Tell the kid to stay in his room. Turn on all outside lights. Put dog on leash, take her outside. Nothing. No one. Breathe a sign of relief. Exhale again.

We don't know who or what was outside. It could have been either a two- or a four-legged critter. We're still on edge. Thank goodness nothing happened. It rained this morning and it rained yesterday so there will be tracks in the mud. There is more mud than gravel around the house. On purpose, just for this purpose. We're safe! You all stay safe! Happy, safe, and sane Thanksgiving day for everyone! gobble gobble

Before I moved to where I now live (40 miles past the Middle of Nowhere) I lived in a suburb near a city with a rep for crime and robbery. There were breakins and burglaries all around us. But we had a succession of dogs: Danes, Irish Wolfhounds, Rotts. The Rotts were the sweetest, gentlest, best behaved and smartest dogs I have ever lived with, but they were devoted to one main job-- protecting their families. In 36 years we never had a burglary or any other crime-related problem. Dogs are essential, to my way of thinking.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back