California Open Carry

Announcement of a Open Carry event in San Diego

San Diego Open Carry Outing on Feb 28, 2009 - Calguns.net

If you are in the San Diego area in Feburary, you might want to make a point to sample what freedom looks like in California. This, I believe, will mark the third open carry event scheduled in San Diego. The last event attracted 40 participants IIRC. Pictures and accounts appear over on calguns.net.

Excellent post, CitaDel.

As a Californian myself, living in LA, I have been working on an attitude, and an approach to open carry.

Currently, I keep an empty holster and mag carrier on my belt when shopping, etc.

At home I have practiced pulling my gun and a magazine from the belt mounted carrier on the opposite side, loading and racking and dry firing. This is down to 3 seconds, and that's after a short practice time. That is only 1.5 seconds slower than a straight draw and click.

I have an idea that may be useful in advancing the open carry effort. Wear a T Shirt decorated with a realistic image of a holstered gun.

Perhaps include a URL like Opencarry.org, or USACarry.com. This will serve to desensitize both me and the viewing public to the sight of a man with a gun.

It is difficult to imagine a scenario that would get me arrested, clubbed, shot, or even yelled at while wearing these "colors". I expect it would be a good conversation starter, however.

With the slightest encouragement, I would design and order a small batch of these shirts for sale.

Or, anyone is free, even encouraged to do this themselves.

Excellent post, CitaDel.

As a Californian myself, living in LA, I have been working on an attitude, and an approach to open carry.

Currently, I keep an empty holster and mag carrier on my belt when shopping, etc.

At home I have practiced pulling my gun and a magazine from the belt mounted carrier on the opposite side, loading and racking and dry firing. This is down to 3 seconds, and that's after a short practice time. That is only 1.5 seconds slower than a straight draw and click.

I have an idea that may be useful in advancing the open carry effort. Wear a T Shirt decorated with a realistic image of a holstered gun.

Perhaps include a URL like Opencarry.org, or USACarry.com. This will serve to desensitize both me and the viewing public to the sight of a man with a gun.

It is difficult to imagine a scenario that would get me arrested, clubbed, shot, or even yelled at while wearing these "colors". I expect it would be a good conversation starter, however.

With the slightest encouragement, I would design and order a small batch of these shirts for sale.

Or, anyone is free, even encouraged to do this themselves.

Good idea. Maybe this site or OCDO will be willing to offer the t-shirts for sale on their site. I know i'm interested, and would like to purchase one of the shirts as a sample. I'll discuss it with my group of fellow instructors and possibly use it when we go to anti 2A hearings at the legislature.

gf

Good idea. Maybe this site or OCDO will be willing to offer the t-shirts for sale on their site. I know i'm interested, and would like to purchase one of the shirts as a sample. I'll discuss it with my group of fellow instructors and possibly use it when we go to anti 2A hearings at the legislature.

gf
To Glock Fan

I've put up a photo of a proposed gunbelt T on my album on this site(USAcarry.com).

I am looking for a printer who can do the job.

Best,

California Dreamer

Last edited:
I know of a few businesses that would be able to do the screening. If you have "camera ready, color seperated" artwork, that would speed up the process.

gf

Art for gunbelt T Shirt image

Glock Fan

My art is a photo taken of my gun, holster, belt and mag in a carrier. It is a color photo, but the items are mostly black and silver. I want a photo realistic effect.

I've been told that a "belt printer" system is needed to do this full size (24 inches wide), which generally means a large setup charge, and a large (144 to 300 piece) minimum order, which I am not ready to plunge into.

If you can direct me to your potential printers, I will contact them to discuss the project.

Best,

California Dreamer

I don't have one but it was mentioned by 2 different instructors who were both retired LAPD Police Officers. Could they be wrong?

A laughable comment, if you were a CA OCer. The ignorance of the actual law by most law enforcement personnel should have been a source of embarrassment IMO.

Of course but if two who are instructors (for Security Guard cards and CCW and Utah Carry Permits) have the wrong information, so will a lot of other even less informed active Police Officers.

This is why one of the first goals of the California Open Carry community has been to reeducate the law enforcement community. We've come quite far in that regard over the last year or so. Take a look at some of the police, sheriff, and DA issued memos and bulletins on the topic over on Link Removed.

According to two different (retired cops) instructors that I have had, carrying a loaded mag on your body with an open carry gun will get you arrested and charged.

It shouldn't come as a surprise to any of us that there are LEOs out there who will abuse their authority at the drop of a hat.

Link Removed
cover_lead_t245.jpg

GPS alerts when 1000 ft from schools

I downloaded a file with POI locations of Schools, and installed it in my Garmin Nuvi. I used a site called poi-factory.com, but there are others as well. I also installed the Red light camera POI's

Now when I drive around I get an alert sound and display when I am 1000 ft from a school - where open carry is prohibited.

Nice to know where the red light cameras are too.

I'm still looking for a T Shirt printer for my open carry image project.

Best,

CA Dreamer

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back