California and Oregon

Daffypuck

I will be traveling across the US and these are the two states I cant seem to find a definitive answer in simple terms. I know they dont honor my permit. So, what do I do in each state? I have a Chevy Avalanche which has two separate locking compartments outside of the vehicle cabin. Is that enough to lock the magazine and ammo in one compartment and then the weapon in the other compartment? Or, do I need to also lock the weapon in some sort of case and then lock it in the compartment? Or can I run a ziptie through the barrel and ejection port and then lock it in the compartment? Also, when I stay in a hotel, can I transport my firearm in a bag, or do I need to keep it locked up until I get to the room?

Read the full text of the Guide To The Interstate Transportation Of Firearms and handgunlaw.us | Federal Law on Transporting Firearms / 18 U.S. Code § 926A.

Technically, you should be fine with leaving the unloaded firearm and loaded magazines in the compartment that is not the passenger compartment. However, when you leave those in the same bag and then carry the bag around, some states may interpret this as carrying a loaded firearm.

Get a GunVault NanoVault, Pelican case or similar lockbox for the firearm. If the state you are in has no problems with you being in possession of said firearm, then transporting it unloaded in a lockbox with the loaded magazines outside of the box in the same bag should be fine.

That link sounds more like an individual without a carry permit, plus its very verbose. Thats why I asked here, so I could get a manageable response without all the legal mumbo jumbo. Ive got all the states on my list squared away, but wanted to be sure I understood CA and OR laws and regs on passing through their states with my firearm. Hell, if need be, Ill carry the unloaded firearm in my bag while walking to the hotel while my +1 carries the ammo. You damn near have to be n attorney to stay on top of the "ever changing" laws of carrying a firearm. The laws should be such that the lowliest of citizen can understand them. They often times are not. Thanks for the link though. Ill give it a further read.

Most firearms laws are designed to create accidental felons out of otherwise law-abiding citizens. They are purposely designed to be confusing and even contradicting.

For example, while you can carry openly in OR without a license, local governments in OR have the option to restrict open carry for those without a license. Portland, for example, does that. CA has a myriad of local and state laws, such as a state-wide 10-round magazine limit and a prohibition of JHP rounds in San Francisco.

The Firearms Owners’ Protection Act, or FOPA, does not protect you against any of that, as you will be traveling to these states and not through these states. 18 U.S. Code § 926A states "... shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, ...". That's why I added the comment about the state you are in having no problems with you being in possession of said unloaded firearm in the first place.

In summary, you have to follow the laws of the state you are in, which can be complicated. That's why I rarely visit "enemy territory".

Handgun laws in Oregon
Handgun laws in California

PS: New York State, for example, requires a permit for the mere possession of a handgun. This permit is not given to people that don't live in the state. This law effectively prohibits the possession of a handgun by a visitor to New York State. It's unconstitutional, but so are many laws that are on the books.

That link sounds more like an individual without a carry permit, plus its very verbose. Thats why I asked here, so I could get a manageable response without all the legal mumbo jumbo. Ive got all the states on my list squared away, but wanted to be sure I understood CA and OR laws and regs on passing through their states with my firearm. Hell, if need be, Ill carry the unloaded firearm in my bag while walking to the hotel while my +1 carries the ammo. You damn near have to be n attorney to stay on top of the "ever changing" laws of carrying a firearm. The laws should be such that the lowliest of citizen can understand them. They often times are not. Thanks for the link though. Ill give it a further read.

Unless there is a warrant no one will know what I possess in my pockets, automobile, home, etc. that's no ones business but my own.
"I don't consent to searches officer"
Too many television shows continue to train us to answer any questions an officer asks and always let them in your house when they want to come in and "talk".
This is only my opinion and yes, I could, some day, run into a situation that will land me in trouble... but I will be ALIVE.
I have both driven & flown across the country with my trusty (nunya) with me and I rarely (I wanted to say never) unload it. Obviously I had to comply with airline requirements because one must consent to search or not fly. I downloaded my pistol (secondary to my rifle) in Afghanistan once and NEVER in Iraq. If I was willing to carry an empty/useless weapon I could just as easily carry a pocket full of rocks.

Unless there is a warrant no one will know what I possess in my pockets, automobile, home, etc. that's no ones business but my own.
"I don't consent to searches officer"
Too many television shows continue to train us to answer any questions an officer asks and always let them in your house when they want to come in and "talk".
This is only my opinion and yes, I could, some day, run into a situation that will land me in trouble... but I will be ALIVE.
I have both driven & flown across the country with my trusty (nunya) with me and I rarely (I wanted to say never) unload it. Obviously I had to comply with airline requirements because one must consent to search or not fly. I downloaded my pistol (secondary to my rifle) in Afghanistan once and NEVER in Iraq. If I was willing to carry an empty/useless weapon I could just as easily carry a pocket full of rocks.

It is easy to tell if someone is carrying a firearm or not. I have seen imprints of guns fairly often at restaurants and bars.

A police officer is going to be looking for some kind of bulge in your clothing somewhere. They are good at this.

The penalty in California is 1 year in county jail and a $1000 fine if/when you are caught.

And you will never get your gun back. So add another $1000 for the loss of the gun.

And also if you can stay in jail for 1 year without losing everything -- car, house, job etc. -- they you must be pretty rich already. Otherwise this is a ticket to homelessness.

Here is the best web explanation that I found (you need to scroll down past the ad):

Link Removed

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back