Buying my first CCW

PackingPastor

I live in the ATL area. For my first CCW, should I buy new or used (gun shop or pawn shop)? If new, gun shop or gun show? Where's the best place to take the CCW permit course? Any recommendations will be appreciated!

Any certified NRA instructor should do the trick can't go wrong .... As far as the gun to purchase start by going to your local gun range that has rentals that way you can see what fits your hand etc.. caliber is a choice only you can make far as what to buy then consider how much do you wanna spend ....Keep in mind your life is priceless so get the best you can afford!!!!! Enjoy and be safe....

if you want to buy used make sure it is from a popular company that is known for reliability(Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig for examles). If a gun show is coming to your town soon I would go to that first. But I agree go to your local gun range rent a pretty popular firearm or one that fits in your hands great and shoot it. I would personally recommend the S&W M&P any caliber being that you can change out the backstraps to fit your hand. If shooting for your first time shoot a full size either semi-auto or revolver whichever you prefer. I hope I was able to help

if you want to buy used make sure it is from a popular company that is known for reliability(Glock, Smith & Wesson, Sig for examles). If a gun show is coming to your town soon I would go to that first. But I agree go to your local gun range rent a pretty popular firearm or one that fits in your hands great and shoot it. I would personally recommend the S&W M&P any caliber being that you can change out the backstraps to fit your hand. If shooting for your first time shoot a full size either semi-auto or revolver whichever you prefer. I hope I was able to help

Just wanted to add my $0.02 in support of the Smith and Wesson M&P line. I bought one of these in .45 caliber used for a moderate savings over the new cost, and found myself with an inoperative pistol. Apparently someone had messed with the trigger mechanism, improperly installing aftermarket parts.

My local gun shop sent the firearm back to Smith and Wesson. They had it repaired and back to me in 3 weeks. AND they included a magazine with it! Pretty impressive! They were under no obligation to do any of that, since their warranty applies only to the original owner.

You won't get that kind of service from some off-brand POS firearm company.

You might want to look at the Springfield Armory subcompact XD in 9mm. If buying used, shop at local gun shops. Springfield Armory guns have a lifetime warranty, no matter if you are the original owner or not. I have never had a problem with any of my XD and XDm pistols.

I never had a problem with my M&P but I did have one with my ruger. Apparently they forgot to heat treat a bunch of extractors on the P95 which they did know about so I sent it back they gave me a brand new one and it worked perfectly.

Find a local gun store with a range. As others have suggested, rent different models until you find one that feels good in your hand. Many ranges offer basic pistol training or can recommend. If they are not helpful or try to agressively push one model, say thanks and go elsewhere. Georgia does not require training to apply for your Georgia Weapons Carry License. I would not suggest a gun show as a starting place until you have a better idea of what you want - they can be overwhelming with the variety (you also have to know prices to know if you are getting a deal or "robbed").

Feel free to PM me and I'll help if I can.

I'm open, but I'm partial already to the new Ruger LC9. I've watched some videos online comparing it to a PM9 and a PF9. I'm also partial to Glock, but I'm looking, for my first pistol, for a gun that's easy to conceal, so I'm leaning to the 9mm. I'll add a .45 ACP next. I've been to GA Firing Line (formerly Ed's and Nick's) to shop prices, and I'm planning to take a basic pistol course there. I recently applied for my CCW in Cobb Co.

I have shot Glock, Kahr and S&W, personally I ended up buying the Smith & Wesson M&P40. It just felt right to me. My son in law has a Glock 19 and he loves it but I really do not care for it. It is up to whatever you like!

I'm open, but I'm partial already to the new Ruger LC9. I've watched some videos online comparing it to a PM9 and a PF9. I'm also partial to Glock, but I'm looking, for my first pistol, for a gun that's easy to conceal, so I'm leaning to the 9mm. I'll add a .45 ACP next. I've been to GA Firing Line (formerly Ed's and Nick's) to shop prices, and I'm planning to take a basic pistol course there. I recently applied for my CCW in Cobb Co.
Being that you are unsure of what you want, it would be best to go to a gunshop with a range that rents guns, and try a few, you mention the LC9, I have shot this weapon, and personaly I did not care for it, just didn't have a good feel and recoil was a bit much for a 9mm, if you have no desire for a "pretty" gun try the Glocks, I have 6, I also have 3 Taurus, a Sig 226 and a Springfield 1911, favorite carry is the Glock 23, with a Taurus 380 as a back up, another thing is you need to dicide on which caliber you may prefer, a small to medium size 9mm is a good all around gun, small enough to carry but big enough to have some punch, just about everybody makes compact and midsize guns, in 9s 40s and 45s the tiny guns 380s and very small 9s are not very comfortable to shoot, very snappy recoil, I also have a Taurus 709 9mm it shoots very well much nicer feeling gun than the LC9, and you get two mags with it

It certainly sounds like you are doing the right things. I commend you on electing to start with a basic firearms course prior to searching for a CCW course. A basic course is an excellent way to start even for someone who has "handled firearms their entire life".

Once you have taken a basic course I cannot reccommend spending some time on the range trying various handguns and calibers. Most of the major manufacturers have the same basic frame available in multiple calibers. You should try each model in every caliber available.

Many gun shops will allow you to take some or all of the cost of rentals off of the purchase of a new handgun. It is well worth taking advantage of these types of programs.

Once you settle on a handgun you should take your CCW course. While in the process of applying for your license you should be trying various carry methods for your pistol around the house, provided it is legal of course.

Purchasing a good high quality holster is one of the best things that you can do to improve your concealed carry experience. Of course a holster without a good quality belt to go with it is a waste of time. I often recommend that new carriers try out carry methods using inexpensive holsters first then once they find a method that works best for them, purchase a high quality (expensive) holster which is in keeping with your preferred method of carry.

Pastor, Your going to get a lot of advice... I would say +1 to renting a couple three guns. Several of the 9c size guns are very nice. Glock. LC9 or M&P. Try them all out. Everyone has different experiences shooting various guns. I couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside with a Glock. (They are still fine weapons.) Ripped the center out with my Walther and used a M&P to obtain my CCW.

I would not buy my first gun used.

Put your fleece out, that'll tell. You already carry a sword.
Just sayin....

Pastor, Your going to get a lot of advice... I would say +1 to renting a couple three guns. Several of the 9c size guns are very nice. Glock. LC9 or M&P. Try them all out. Everyone has different experiences shooting various guns. I couldn't hit the side of a barn from the inside with a Glock. (They are still fine weapons.) Ripped the center out with my Walther and used a M&P to obtain my CCW.

I would not buy my first gun used.

Put your fleece out, that'll tell. You already carry a sword.
Just sayin....
Now come on Taz, if you can hit the barn from inside, next time just befor you shoot close your eyes, LOL, I agree Glocks arn't for everybody, if you get one that fits you well, its much better, what Walther do you have?.....

Now come on Taz, if you can hit the barn from inside, next time just befor you shoot close your eyes, LOL, I agree Glocks arn't for everybody, if you get one that fits you well, its much better, what Walther do you have?.....

When I was shooting the Glock it was high right, low left, everywhere but the middle. I just couldn't get it consistently where I wanted it. (100 rounds) I borrowed a M&P FS 9mm for CCW quals. at 21'. In MO you have to shoot both a revolver, S&W .357 is what I had, and a semi-auto. My tupperware gun is a Walther P99 AS. My EDC is a 1911.

Oh... It was a big barn!:sarcastic:

When I was shooting the Glock it was high right, low left, everywhere but the middle. I just couldn't get it consistently where I wanted it. (100 rounds) I borrowed a M&P FS 9mm for CCW quals. at 21'. In MO you have to shoot both a revolver, S&W .357 is what I had, and a semi-auto. My tupperware gun is a Walther P99 AS. My EDC is a 1911.

Oh... It was a big barn!:sarcastic:
OK, but like I said not everybody likes Glocks, and I certainly are not stuck on them, if I go to the range and bring my Springfield 1911, Sig 226 40, and my G-21SF, at the indoor ranges out to 25 yds, I can about use the same holes with the three guns....... outside 50 and 100 yds the Sig comes out on top with the Springfield a close second, but the big Glock can still keep the shots on center mass at 100 yds, if its a big target, LOL:sarcastic:

Rocketgeezer - You are the man! Gotta hook you up with Hickok 45.
Ok.... We don't want to steal the OPs thread. LOL

Hello again there Pastor...

As Babarock pointed out... no training is REQUIRED... that's not to say that there isn't some very good training out there in the event that you want it. I also absolutely agree with the suggestion that you go to one of the ranges that does rentals and try out a few to determine what you will like.

There are some outstanding ranges in the Atlanta area - not sure where you are but I would be more than happy to point you in a direction - or you can check the Ranges thread in the Georgia section of this board.

There are some deals to be had at the shows - but you really have to shop around - and in many cases you will find even better deals at some of the local pawn shops - again - I can try to point you to some really good ones or check the thread.

btw - not sure where in Atlanta you are - but come by the GeorgiaCarry.Org table at just about any Gun Show (I'm working at the North Atlanta Trade Center in Norcross this weekend) and visit. The folks there can help you with the Georgia Laws and some suggestions for ranges, dealers and pawn shops.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back