Buying Guns Out of State

Dragonflyspit

How can I buy a gun in a state other than the one in which I live? Both the state in which I live and the state in which I'm traveling have pretty liberal guns laws, but both require that I be a resident of that state in order to buy a gun. Can I buy online?

Yes, sort of. You will need to find a local gun shop to receive the gun for you from the out-of-state dealer. Then contact the out-of-state dealer and give them your local gun shops contact information. The out-of-state dealer will ship it to your local shop and When the gun arrives you will go to your local dealer and do all the paperwork. Most shops charge a fee for the transfer, so check to make sure the added fees aren't eating up the money you thought you were saving on the gun.

If you are talking about an in-person transaction, you can't buy a handgun in a state that you are not a resident. Shotguns and rifles are OK to sell to a non-resident unless the state law prohibits it.

How can I buy a gun in a state other than the one in which I live? Both the state in which I live and the state in which I'm traveling have pretty liberal guns laws, but both require that I be a resident of that state in order to buy a gun. Can I buy online?
ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

You can buy anything in any state as long as the gun is delivered to an FFL in your state for you to complete a 4473 and take delivery in compliance with your state laws, such as waiting periods].

If the states have passed a law to allow residents to purchase out of state and take possession out of state, it is limited to rifles and shotguns and both states must have an agreement. So, a resident of Kansas can buy a gun and take delivery in OK,MO, NB, CO, completing a 4473 with teh selling dealer.
Handguns must be delivered to the state of residence, to an FFL.

Not sure, have not checked whether the federal law now allows long guns to be purchased in any state or only states with common borders.

ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

You can buy anything in any state as long as the gun is delivered to an FFL in your state for you to complete a 4473 and take delivery in compliance with your state laws, such as waiting periods].

If the states have passed a law to allow residents to purchase out of state and take possession out of state, it is limited to rifles and shotguns and both states must have an agreement. So, a resident of Kansas can buy a gun and take delivery in OK,MO, NB, CO, completing a 4473 with teh selling dealer.
Handguns must be delivered to the state of residence, to an FFL.

Not sure, have not checked whether the federal law now allows long guns to be purchased in any state or only states with common borders.
As long as the laws of both states are met in the purchase, the states no longer have to have common borders for long gun purchase. I bought a rifle in Wisconsin last year and the background check was approved in less than 5 minutes using my Nevada DL. Handguns must always be shipped to 01 dealer in state of residence for pickup.

Good answer above and accurate information for once. Generally people chime in with nonsense they heard 'somewhere'...

As long as the laws of both states are met in the purchase, the states no longer have to have common borders for long gun purchase. I bought a rifle in Wisconsin last year and the background check was approved in less than 5 minutes using my Nevada DL. Handguns must always be shipped to 01 dealer in state of residence for pickup.

Good answer above and accurate information for once. Generally people chime in with nonsense they heard 'somewhere'...
Thank you for clarifying the long gun requirement. Last time I bought a gun "on the road" was about 1965 and I picked up a couple of Ruger Super Balckhawks in Wyoming and went back to Illinois. But that was a lifetime ago.

ATF Online - Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and Google Title 18 922 and 926 to see the actual laws.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back