Buying a suppressor

TexasGun

I've been looking around at purchasing a suppressor but haven't been able find out how to go through Chanel's? I read something about a BATF form 4 to fill out, a background check , and a 200 fee. I haven't found the form or anyone who knows were to find one, or if thats all it takes. Anyone here own one or know how to go about getting one. I live in Texas so I don't believe it should be to hard. M.

I was talking to the gun shop owner in my town the other day about a suppressor. They are pretty expensive, and they have to be federally registered. It seems like a headache to get one legally, and I don't see the practicality of it, unless you're a mafia hitman. :icon_cheesygrin: Then, if you modify the gun in any way, you have to get it re-registered. He told me I can find one for around $800 for my S&W. I can think of better ways to spend $1000, like buy a new gun maybe.

There's a lot of different ways to make your own suppressors, depending on what you need it for. It would probably be a lot less trouble and expense, and you get to do it to your own specifications. Try several different types of pipes, washers, etc and you'll get the idea.

This can be an interesting project if you have access to a junkyard or something. Be careful, though...they can be dangerous (both to you and your gun) if not built and used correctly. Find some information on this and educate yourself first.

There's a lot of different ways to make your own suppressors, depending on what you need it for. It would probably be a lot less trouble and expense, and you get to do it to your own specifications. Try several different types of pipes, washers, etc and you'll get the idea.QUOTE]

TexasGun,
Please do not put anything on the end of you weapon which could even remotly be considered a sound suppressor by the BATF, (even a plastic soda bottle is considered one by the ATF). Doing so and getting caught could mean an extended stay at ClubFed and the loss of a lot of cash. Depending on your state, (I haven't looked up Texas) it is legal to own and use a suppressor you just have to purchase it from a Class III dealer or a manufacturer such as myself in your home state, pay the required $200 tax to the Federal Gov, be approved by the ATF and your on your way. Contrary to movie and TV lore you can't suppress a revolver and unless you use a subsonic round you will still hear the sonic-boom of the round going down range. They are quite a lot of fun to use not only do they help keep your hearing intact, the folks who live around you if you shoot at home will thank you. If you go to a range to shoot folks are always wowed at the sight of one as most people don't realize you can legally own one. I have numerious suppressors for SMG's and handguns that I own, but the best time I can have is sitting out back with a brick of 22LR's and my suppressed Walther P-22 and just plinking. Here is a link to the BATF where you can get answers and download the NFA rules handbook. Hope this helps, Happy shooting!
Link Removed

There's a lot of different ways to make your own suppressors, depending on what you need it for. It would probably be a lot less trouble and expense, and you get to do it to your own specifications. Try several different types of pipes, washers, etc and you'll get the idea.QUOTE]

TexasGun,
Please do not put anything on the end of you weapon which could even remotly be considered a sound suppressor by the BATF, (even a plastic soda bottle is considered one by the ATF). Doing so and getting caught could mean an extended stay at ClubFed and the loss of a lot of cash. Depending on your state, (I haven't looked up Texas) it is legal to own and use a suppressor you just have to purchase it from a Class III dealer or a manufacturer such as myself in your home state, pay the required $200 tax to the Federal Gov, be approved by the ATF and your on your way. Contrary to movie and TV lore you can't suppress a revolver and unless you use a subsonic round you will still hear the sonic-boom of the round going down range. They are quite a lot of fun to use not only do they help keep your hearing intact, the folks who live around you if you shoot at home will thank you. If you go to a range to shoot folks are always wowed at the sight of one as most people don't realize you can legally own one. I have numerious suppressors for SMG's and handguns that I own, but the best time I can have is sitting out back with a brick of 22LR's and my suppressed Walther P-22 and just plinking. Here is a link to the BATF where you can get answers and download the NFA rules handbook. Hope this helps, Happy shooting!
Link Removed

man that sure would be a lot of fun... now the hard part.. trying to justify spending that kind of money on it...

I know a bunch of people who have purchased different suppressors. It can be really expensive or really inexpensive depending on the gun and the caliber. The popular fun one, IMO, is the walther p22 with silencer. I had one at a range one time and got so giddy that I now must someday buy myself one if they are still available. You can get a walther p22 with silencer package for around 700-800 bucks. Its of course then going to take an additional 200 dollars to the feds along with the background check. You go into the place you want to purchase it from, or talk to your local ffl to see if they or someone they know can help you facilitate everything. You purchase the gun and the class 3 folks hold onto it until your tax stamp is approved. You go fill out the form 4 stuff and go through the whole process somewhat similar to ccw permits. Usually you have to get a signature from the local cheif or sherrif. Wait a few months or so, give or take. Then, hopefully you are approved and you can have your silencer. Its a fun novelty. Shooting a bunch of sub 22 lr rounds out of a semi auto handgun is really fun when it sounds like a air pistol. I could see doing it if I was shooting on my land and the neighbors get cranky at night. :) Silencers like compensators and other fancy add ons do take some kick of your bullet velocity, though. But, its still fun. Note that the ATF folks are really serious on this front. They used to sell airgun silencers you could screw onto the bb rifles to knock down a bit of the gas noise. But the feds banned them as they could be theoretically used on pistols. now they have to be fixed only. Its fairly easy to machine one out, if your any good at metal work. However, you'd better have a long hard talk with the feds and pay your tax. I've heard of a few people doing it. They sent in exact tolerances, modifications, and cad drawings of everything to be done. After paying and being approved they were able to do it. However, that sort of approval does not happen often. Its better just to buy one and go through the normal routine instead.

It's not illegal in most states to make your own...you just fill out Form 1 at atf.gov and give them their money. After all, someone has to make them...and that someone can be you.

As for revolvers, they can be silenced...you just have to be a little creative. Use a regular suppressor that screws into the barrel, and then something that goes around the cylinder. Some modifications to attach the unit to the main structure of the gun would probably be required, but it shouldn't be brain surgery.

I've been looking around at purchasing a suppressor but haven't been able find out how to go through Chanel's? I read something about a BATF form 4 to fill out, a background check , and a 200 fee. I haven't found the form or anyone who knows were to find one, or if thats all it takes. Anyone here own one or know how to go about getting one. I live in Texas so I don't believe it should be to hard. M.

First, you need to find a 01-FFL Class 3 SOT dealer in your area.
Next, you purchase the noise suppressor you want.
Afterwhich, you fill out a Form 4 (ATF Form 5320.4) and send it with $200 to the BATFE.
After you get approved, take a copy of your paperwork and tax stamp to the 01-FFL Class 3 SOT dealer and take possession of your noise suppressor.

I have always wanted to get a suppressor it just seems like so much money and hassle to go through. I have read in other counties they only cost around 200 dollars at most but here because of the fed laws and such they are almost 500 to 800 dollars. Plus the 200 you have to pay the feds. I can't see it being that great. It could be fun but not that fun. If there was a legal way to buy one for around 250 when all was said and done I might think about it but 800 to 1000 is too much for me.

I have always wanted to get a suppressor it just seems like so much money and hassle to go through. I have read in other counties they only cost around 200 dollars at most but here because of the fed laws and such they are almost 500 to 800 dollars. Plus the 200 you have to pay the feds. I can't see it being that great. It could be fun but not that fun. If there was a legal way to buy one for around 250 when all was said and done I might think about it but 800 to 1000 is too much for me.

It's the cost of the noise suppressor + buying a threaded barrel + BATFE $200 tax stamp.

Most noise suppressors will end up costs between $500-3000 depending on what kind of noise suppressor it is.

NFA items are an expensive habit. And noise suppressors are inexpensive when compared to other Title 2 firearms.

Impact Guns currently has a deal to buy a walther p22 for 500 bucks. This includes the gun, threaded barrel, and silencer. This is about as low as I have seen them online thus far. Its a fun toy to have. Remember this does not include the 200 dollars to the feds.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/product2296.html

Thus its going to be 700 bucks without tax to get a silenced .22 handgun. Cheers!!!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back