Buy American?

localgirl

Does it make a difference to the U.S. economy if we buy American? Are there any facts or studies out there that support this? Or is all of it word-of-mouth and interesting anecdotes? I need some solid facts backed up by valid sources.

I would point you to people way smarter than I am. This is still a controversial issue but I think a great explanation of the economics of the question can be found as a podcast here: EconTalk | Library of Economics and Liberty. Russ Roberts take the complexities of economics and makes it fairly simple. I think that your question is explained somewhat by Don Boudreaux in this podcast: Don Boudreaux on China, Currency Manipulation, and Trade Deficits | EconTalk | Library of Economics and Liberty

The way I see it, the term "American" could mean different things. Is a "foreign" company any less "American" if it has a production facility on U.S. soil and it hires mostly Americans at those facilities? Kinda how I feel about "foreign" and "American" automobiles too.

I agree with tattedupboy. Which is better - buying from an American company that makes it's stuff overseas or a foreign company that makes it's stuff here? Example - the Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Impala are made in Canada. The Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are made here. Which benefits the US Economy more? Which creates more American jobs? IMO it's the foreign company hiring American workers.

When Toyota arrived in Nascar, people were up in arms that a foreign company has entered an American sport. What they did not consider is that A) Dodge (who was already back in) was owned by Daimler so were technically German, and B) The only two "cars" used in Nascar that are American made are the Dodge Charger and Toyota Camry (cars is in quotes because a Nascar Camry is NOTHING like the street car). The Fusion is made in Mexico and the Impala is made in Canada.

Yea I get a bunch of crap for driving a Toyota Tacoma but I was told it was made somewhere in Ohio. I never looked into it so someone can correct me but even foreign cars will still have american parts as well

Yea I get a bunch of crap for driving a Toyota Tacoma but I was told it was made somewhere in Ohio. I never looked into it so someone can correct me but even foreign cars will still have american parts as well

It was made in California along with the Corolla. Now its made in Texas along with the Tundra.

Yeah that happens all too much now-a-days. I work with a guy who used to make an absurd amount of money and had a big house in the rich neighborhood where I live a few hundred grand in the bank and all kind of toys (harley, jet skis, 4 wheelers, boats,etc. Then went to work one day and got laid off because it would cost the company less to send the parts to china, have them assemble/repair them and ship them back then it would to pay him to do it. He may be full of ***** I dunno, but either way it happens. Just business I guess.

turbo52:211806 said:
I have a 2011 tacoma. From my understanding a japanese company, engine and transmission built in the states, and the truck was assembled in mexico.

For vehicles, look at the VIN, the first digit is the country of final assembly. 1 and 4 are US, 2 is Canada, 3 is mexico, W is Germany, K is korea, J is japan

Is that manufactured in the USA or just assembled? Makes a difference. We Export mostly raw to semi processed goods to foreign entities for manufacturing and return to the USA for consumption. Export slots on most Vessels are at least 150% booked most the time. So it's not that we are not exporting goods out. It's that finished goods imported are far more expensive the what we export. Hence this inane Trade deficit.
As for putting people back to work buying American goods. Great idea, if you can get them to go to work. Even better idea if we didn't allow foreign work force to enter under work visas.

I agree with tattedupboy. Which is better - buying from an American company that makes it's stuff overseas or a foreign company that makes it's stuff here? Example - the Dodge Challenger and Chevrolet Impala are made in Canada. The Toyota Camry and Honda Accord are made here. Which benefits the US Economy more? Which creates more American jobs? IMO it's the foreign company hiring American workers.

When Toyota arrived in Nascar, people were up in arms that a foreign company has entered an American sport. What they did not consider is that A) Dodge (who was already back in) was owned by Daimler so were technically German, and B) The only two "cars" used in Nascar that are American made are the Dodge Charger and Toyota Camry (cars is in quotes because a Nascar Camry is NOTHING like the street car). The Fusion is made in Mexico and the Impala is made in Canada.
Just a question: When one buys a Toyota that is "made" in the U.S., where do the bulk of the profits go? Japan. Just sayin'.

I was being kidded about my Roadster (MB) was made in NJ, purportedly shipped off to Germany for an excuse to go overseas and tour their country, inspected and picked up our car, drive the authobahn, go home, wait for our car to arrive at Alaska so we can drive it home here in St. Louis, tour some more land and sand -- and feel good about it. DING!! The car was made in New Jersey, period!

Good marketing though....:wacko:

Just a question: When one buys a Toyota that is "made" in the U.S., where do the bulk of the profits go? Japan. Just sayin'.

Between the manufacturing plant, the distributor, the dealer/sales, and the mechanic that will all make money off it, does it really matter? A ton of Americans have great jobs because of it, even the cars made in Japan. Toyota also gives scholarships here and donates to several charities, including $1mil to tornado relief earlier this year, don't see much of that from "US" manufacturers..

Well let me ask you this..... How do get your income? If its here in this great land of the free then buy American .....

It sounds so simple, doesn't it? BUY AMERICAN! But then the same company ships its jobs overseas because it's cheaper. It's not like you buying their product can keep them from doing that.

Personally I prefer to buy the better product for my purpose regardless of origin. That way I am rewarding a company making something well rather than where it's being made.

I thought I was "buying American" when I bought my Springfield Armory 1911. Only to get it home and notice it was made by Imbel in Brazil. At least my Austrian Glocks were assembled in Georgia. Look at every piece of electronic equipment in your home including your fridge and microwave. All were made overseas by a non American company. Your "American" car was assembled outside our borders by foreigners, while your neighbors Toyota was made by a Texas good 'ol boy. NASCAR represents "Stock Car Racing" about as much as the WWF represents wrestling. Nothing is what it seems to be anymore. It is meant to be that way. Perception is everything. I'll "buy American" just as soon as someone publishes a 2,000 page book telling me how to do it! Bill T.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back