I got this list of reasons the Zoom Dot is better than the Aimpoint from opticstalk.com. I haven't had a chance to research all of the items in this list, but thought I would post it for you to check out.
1. ZD has no wires to break, AP has small wires that break under use.
2. ZD has No glued LED, AP has a LED that is glued in. can come lose
3. ZD has no inter tube to reduce your vision, come lose or lose zero
4. ZD is tested to 2000+ g, it will hold up after being run over by a truck.
5. ZD can go to 300 under water for extended time and not leak, the lenses are made like a rolex watch more pressure the tighter they get.
6. ZR has no rheostat to adjust the brighness, it does it automatically to match the light conditions. If you go from bright to dim it will adjust to match the light. Note the smooth lines and no knobs sticking out of the sides of the unit.
7. the ZD will hold zero, due to the design it cant change zero due to impact less than destruction.
8. ZD will work from the range of the battery, -40 to 150+ f
9. ZD is manufactured in Huntington Beach CA. by an American company. AP is not.
10. There is no perceived parallax in the ZD, AP has visible parallax.
11. ZD can be repaired in the field if electronics ever fails, less than a min. you can replace the electronics, AP got to send it back.
12, If you want the latest in design ZD, if you want 25 yr old tec AP.