Bullet from dropped gun hits woman in bathroom stall

A similar "accident" like this happened not too long ago here in Salt Lake, thankfully the toilet was the only victim.:triniti::pleasantry: Simple solution. Purchase a gun that isn't susceptible to firing when dropped! Glock will not fire when dropped... trust me, mine has seen its share of falls, always loaded ready to fire, zero BANGS! Chew on that.

When drawers are dropped, the belt is immediately refastened at the largest belt hole. The weapon is never removed, and with a good holster, there is almost no risk of it falling out. There is also no risk of forgetting it when you leave.

Good on you!

If a weapon (sidearm) is carried in a high quality holster, there is no need to remove the pistol or revolver from the holster going to the john. In fact, a good holster does not require removal of a weapon for any routine daily activities.

We as CC’er or OC’ers have an absolute obligation to project others from ND’s exactly like this happening. At the end of the day, this is equipment and a training failure.

Steve

Any time I go into a stall in a public restroom, I always remove it from the holster on my side and find a place where it will not slide off of (as on the back of the toilet). I realize that some toilets are slippery so that is why I also put a paper towel under it and cover the top of it with a paper towel. If you put it between your legs when you are sitting down, it can sometimes be seen from the outside of the stall. Not a good thing in my book. So that is why I choose to put it on the backside of the toilet if possible. Of course it goes without saying that if you don't absolutely have to use a public restroom, then don't do it.

Any time I go into a stall in a public restroom, I always remove it from the holster on my side and find a place where it will not slide off of (as on the back of the toilet). I realize that some toilets are slippery so that is why I also put a paper towel under it and cover the top of it with a paper towel. If you put it between your legs when you are sitting down, it can sometimes be seen from the outside of the stall. Not a good thing in my book. So that is why I choose to put it on the backside of the toilet if possible. Of course it goes without saying that if you don't absolutely have to use a public restroom, then don't do it.

Just a higher chance of forgetting it on the back of the toilet.. I'll stick to the pants Idea and make sure it is not visible..

To HootmonSccy,

It is interesting that I have heard some that are concerned that they might forget that they put their
gun on the back ledge of the toilet. I don't know how you can forget the fact that you still have a holster
attached to the right side of your belt and it is real light on that side. It has never been a problem for me.
But, to each his or her own. Whatever you are able to safely do is really what matters. Let's all just promote good gun safety.

I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor in Florida. What Florida requires is a basic gun course to get your concealed carry permit. It can be an NRA Firearms Safety Course, or the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission Hunter Education or Safety Course, or show your Military ID Card or DD-214. You say that the Concealed Weapons Course is a joke. It is a joke because there is NO formal concealed weapons course as written in Florida Law. It doesn't exist. That is exactly why I developed a Concealed Weapons Course as a part of my Class. It consumes the first three hours of a 6-7 hour total course. We go through the justifiable use of deadly force and Chapter 790 statutes, as a part of the first part of my Concealed Weapons Course. The second part is the NRA Basic Pistol Course where I cover what the NRA tells me that I must teach. The additional problem is that many people don't see the need to spend a little more money to get the Law part. They are not aware that they can go to jail if they don't know when they can pull their weapon. Many go to these gun shows where they listen to someone for a couple of hours and then shoot a round into a can, and then they are "qualified" to handle a gun. Not. I am not an Attorney. I don't give any Legal opinions. My students get the Florida Firearms Law, Use, & Ownership Book by Jon Gutmacher. He is the Attorney I go by. Other Concealed Teachers are only interested in how much money they can make by giving cheap no nothing classes which hurts us all. Not me. I charge a fair price for good information that makes my students think about every area of carrying concealed. I am sorry that your training was not very complete. I even offer the Law part of my class at a separate price to those who have their permit. All those who have been through my classes have the option to come back to any scheduled class that I am presenting free of charge. I figure that a few things may be forgotten about the Law and a review is always good. That is why I offer free review to my students. Have a great day.

I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor in Florida. That is exactly why I developed a Concealed Weapons Course as a part of my Class. It consumes the first three hours of a 6-7 hour total course. We go through the justifiable use of deadly force and Chapter 790 statutes, as a part of the first part of my Concealed Weapons Course. The second part is the NRA Basic Pistol Course where I cover what the NRA tells me that I must teach. The additional problem is that many people don't see the need to spend a little more money to get the Law part. They are not aware that they can go to jail if they don't know when they can pull their weapon. Many go to these gun shows where they listen to someone for a couple of hours and then shoot a round into a can, and then they are "qualified" to handle a gun. Not. I am not an Attorney. I don't give any Legal opinions. My students get the Florida Firearms Law, Use, & Ownership Book by Jon Gutmacher. He is the Attorney I go by. Other Concealed Teachers are only interested in how much money they can make by giving cheap no nothing classes which hurts us all. Not me. I charge a fair price for good information that makes my students think about every area of carrying concealed. I am sorry that your training was not very complete. I even offer the Law part of my class at a separate price to those who have their permit. All those who have been through my classes have the option to come back to any scheduled class that I am presenting free of charge. I figure that a few things may be forgotten about the Law and a review is always good. That is why I offer free review to my students. Have a great day.

Ray
#1 - Thanx for doing a good, well thought out job out there... I did take a course at a gun show (we did go to a range), I did not know that I could use my DD214 - If I had, I would not have spent the $75 bucks (plus Range fee) to get the forms I could get for free and a Passport photo.. I did purchase the Gutmacher book on my own.

#2 - Please PM me with more information on your courses (website, etc) I will direct others that I run into to take your course.. I might be interested in the Law session...

#3 - I wish someone would develop a Shoot / Don't shoot film/practice session to run through scenarios.. I went through something like this in the service where they had a film and a 45 with a primer and a plastic bullet and a netting behind the screen.. We had to "act" out the scenario (Yell out loud, etc) and decide to shoot/don't shoot. If you shot, they stopped the projector to see if you hit the person. They then rolled the film forward to see how the scene played out.. If found this training to be VERY useful and I wish there was a civilian version that people could take periodically.. Just a thought..

HootmonSccy ,

You wanted to know about some of my courses. Besides giving the CWP course I also offer periodically a gun cleaning course. I do not have the time to do anything but skim over gun cleaning in the NRA basic pistol course that I teach. Plus, to properly teach the course, it helps to have a dirty gun to clean. Again, due to a lack of time I can't give the subject the justice that it deserves. So, I offer at a different time the gun cleaning course.

Another course that I offer is a multi-gun/caliber shoot at the range. This is where those who don't have a gun yet can test shoot four different calibers of guns that I have. They will shoot two types of concealable 38 specials, a 357 magnum, 2 1/2" barrel, two 9 mm semis, and a 40 cal semi. The emphasis is not on marksmanship, but is on what type of recoil each gun and caliber of gun has. Is the gun comfortable to shoot? Is it too heavy? Etc. It gives a person who doesn't have a clue of what kind of gun that they want to purchase, an idea of what they want to look for.

I would like to hold a combat situation course at a range so that we could have some real life training in some real life situations where you are forced to do different types of split second decisions that involve different types of shooting. The problem is that I have to find a Range that will let me have a block of time to use their Range facilities. Some Ranges feel that I am their competition. I also have to have the interest from the public that knows about it, as well as interest from my students in order to put it on. With the economy the way it is now, it is difficult for me to put on a class of several people at a time. Finances are killing people. So, some of those who want to take my courses find it difficult to afford them. For example, my CWP course is $125.00. Believe it or not, that amount is difficult for some to come up with. If you don't have a job, it is not hard to believe. When you are trying to eat and pay bills, a CWP course just isn't that important. So, right now I am concentrating on those courses that I think that are of interest to those that I come in contact with. Well, gotta go, have a good day.

Ray53 - I uderstand exactly what you are talking about, Some instructors are just focused on the minimums of getting the person through the course so they can get their CWP. Others actually give useful training and information. I have heard lots of people make fun of the courses and usually it is the ones getting the minimum training. For a course to be worth taking and what the legislature envisions is that you learn safety from handling to being out in hte public. Knowing when to use your gun and when not to as well as where you can and can't carry. To me the actual shooting is basically that they know which end the bullet comes out of and can fire in the direction that they intend.

You cannot in an 8 hour course teach them to be excellent marksmen and know all of the laws or possibilities that may come up. However ther should be a minimum and too many classes don't even cover that. As for finding a range, that is a problem as you are usually competing with them and their quickie course. However their course usually is better than the instructors that they found were just signing off on training without ever doing any at all.

Yes that is correct and that was our training at the police academy. If you are in uniform and wearing a duty holster, take the gun out and put it between your legs ( resting in your underwear -pants down) - you won't forget the gun and a bad guy can't reach under the stall and grab your gun when your not in a position to chase. Same for CCW wear, take the gun out of the belt holster (I don't use paddle holsters) when doing your business. Worked for 20 years so far no incidents.

I guess alot of people feel safer with the bullet chambered. but if you think about it, it's alot safer with the bullets in the clip in the gun ready to be chambered. it only takes a second to pull the slide back and chamber a bullet.don't just practice shooting your gun, practice loading it. it's alot safer for all of us. deer or bear hunting is a different storie. but we're not deer or bear hunten, are we ? be safe.

I guess alot of people feel safer with the bullet chambered. but if you think about it, it's alot safer with the bullets in the clip in the gun ready to be chambered. it only takes a second to pull the slide back and chamber a bullet.don't just practice shooting your gun, practice loading it. it's alot safer for all of us. deer or bear hunting is a different storie. but we're not deer or bear hunten, are we ? be safe.
If it's already in the chamber, it won't jam when you slide the slide!

wrecks 79,

You said that the bullet shouldn't be chambered anyway. I disagree. It depends on the type of semi that
you carry. I carry an S&W 908S. You can drop the gun on the hammer and it will not fire. The total depressing of the trigger allows the hammer to hit the firing pin, which in turn, hits the primer. If you don't know how your gun's hammer strikes the firing pin, then I guess you need to go to someone who knows your gun, like a gunsmith, or call the factory and ask them how it works. With d/a semis, they work just like d/a revolvers on the first shot. In a pinch, I don't want to have to remember to jack a round into the chamber or take the safety off either. That's right, I leave my safety off as well. I just want to be ready to do what I have to do. Hopefully, I can talk my way out of the situation. But, if not, then I will have had to be in fear of my life-big time. It is either me or them. I'm darned if it is going to be me, so it is them. Anyway, gun safety is the important thing here. We need to be as safe as we can be when we carry. That is our responsibility to ourselves, our family, those who are around us, and to everyone else who carries. We don't want to do anything stupid and get someone hurt or killed. Fortunately, the woman that got shot will be alright. Being that it was an accident, I will be surprised if any charges are filed in this case. But, what do I know? Have a great day.

Of course the Bradys will eat it up and use the incident to argue that no one should be allowed to carry concealed.

Just roll it up in your drawers as you drop them. No one will be able to see it. I wouldn't lay my piece down anywhere but home.

I try not to use public restrooms especially for #2 but if I absolutely have to my firearm is in my hand while I do my business. It can be done... :sarcastic:

My worst nightmare is dropping or loosing my handgun while in a public place.

I am an NRA Certified Pistol Instructor in Florida. What Florida requires is a basic gun course to get your concealed carry permit. It can be an NRA Firearms Safety Course, or the Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission Hunter Education or Safety Course, or show your Military ID Card or DD-214. You say that the Concealed Weapons Course is a joke. It is a joke because there is NO formal concealed weapons course as written in Florida Law. It doesn't exist.

You should see the Alabama test -- test to see if you can fill your name out on a sheet, test to see if you have $20, and the sheriff hands you your permit, all within the course of 10 minutes. :sarcastic:

You should see the Alabama test -- test to see if you can fill your name out on a sheet, test to see if you have $20, and the sheriff hands you your permit, all within the course of 10 minutes. :sarcastic:

I do have mixed feelings on this but it is exactly why the national reciprocity bill did not pass yesterday. Some states have "no" requirements and others very strict.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back