Bug out bag

No real plans for "bug out". I am in the Denver area (about 16 1/2 miles north of down town) so there is not much in the way of natural disaster but a blizzard. For anything else I think we are better off just hunkering down for a couple of weeks for things to settle. I do have 3 months worth of water and food on hand and yes it is rotated out (regular provisions that we use every day like 16 oz. bottled water and canned goods).

After that couple of weeks we can head into the mountains with plenty of planning.

Now, if you are talking about a terrorist attack, say a "dirty" bomb..... Well I don't think getting stuck on the road for several hours in a traffic jam will help. Still better off waiting for the roads to clear and then travel when we can keep our speed up.

Click on the emergency preparedness and survival products. The information and articles. The grab and run kit. It took me a minute to find it so I thought I might help. It is really a interesting idea. Thanks for the link.

I have a battle Bag by Blackhawk and a Woolrich vest. Most of my stuff goes in these two things. I have not finished putting them together because I am always thinking and rethinking my needs. I may even need to add a back pack soon. Still trying to decide everthing I need for the first aid ket. On that note any one having a medical background I would like your thoughts on wheither to add a cloting agent like quickclot or Celox.

My wife and I put together 72 hour kits for ourselves and gave one to each of our children and their spouses and children. (We made a total of 10) :eek:

These are in back packs and contain EVERYthing they need to survive for the 72 hour period. :D

Tarzan

But tarzan does it require a trunk on your elephant? How large a parcel is it?

Medium sized backpack. We bought the backpacks at the same store where we bought most of the stuff that went in them. The backpacks cost about $10 each, to give you an idea.

When I say you can grab it and go, I am not kidding at all.

Tarzan

He and She packing lists are below.

Tarzan Family 72 Hour Kit Packing List

He

Main Compartment
3 Assorted MRI’s (Each MRI contains sufficient for 1 day, shelf life 10 years - 2015)
3 MRI heaters
1 AM, FM, TV Audio, Weather Radio
4 AA batteries (for radio, good till 2011)
1 bag hardtack candy
1 space blanket
1 roll of toilet paper
3 bottles of water (check water every year)
Front Top Compartment
1 folding lock blade knife
1 emergency poncho
1 tube of toothpaste
1 toothbrush
Front Bottom Compartment
1 towel
2 packages of waterproof matches
Left Compartment
1 deodorant
1 bottle shampoo
Right Compartment
1 emergency whistle
1 bottle water purifying tablets
3 extra spoons

If the Kit is for just one person and not a couple, some of the items would not be shared and would have been in each of the kits.

We did not supply the guns and ammo, each person is responsible for those items.

Tarzan Family 72 Hour Kit Packing List

She

Main Compartment
3 Assorted MRI’s (Each MRI contains sufficient for 1 day, shelf life 10 years - 2015)
3 MRI heaters
1 Omega Light flashlight (never needs batteries see instructions)
1 bag hardtack candy
1 space blanket
1 roll of toilet paper
3 bottles of water (check water every year)
Front Top Compartment
1 emergency poncho
1 tube of toothpaste
1 toothbrush
Front Bottom Compartment
1 first aid kit
1 towel
1 hand sanitizer
2 packages of waterproof matches
Left Compartment
1 deodorant
1 bar soap
1 bottle shampoo
Right Compartment
1 emergency whistle
3 extra spoons
1 mending kit

Looks close to my y2k bag. I told my wife to stock up for it. She did 1000 rolls of Toilet paper.

Ran accross the following site today. It has some good info on it and he has compiled info on bug out bags from a lot of different sourses.

Link Removed

Looks close to my y2k bag. I told my wife to stock up for it. She did 1000 rolls of Toilet paper.

For about 20-25 rolls of TP I can last as long as my wife on the same 1000 rolls. Need a bigger bug out bag,,,,, no. Need a storage unit. for those.

spc:rolleyes:

What about your car kit?

I used to keep a couple of tupperware tubs in my cars with augmented first aid kits, food concentrates, a pocketknife, matches, batteries, flashlights, candles, duct tape, work gloves, heavy twine, a couple of liters of water and such. Wife used to go nuts when we would walk through Wal-Mart and I would be picking up odds and ends for adding to the tubs. I had to change out the batteries but with kids around that is easy enough. The flashlights, batteries and bandaids came in handy a few times.

Wife may want to know what the condoms are for.I said we don't want to start a new world order.

Ahem...

Wife may want to know what the condoms are for. I said we don't want to start a new world order.

Could have said, "...to decorate the new cave....." OR maybe, "...to have a water balloon fight of course...."

Glow in the dark ones for marking trails? (Cheaper than glo-sticks)

Keep the water out of your rifle while carrying barrel up?

My bag has some basic items, but I'm not going overboard because I still want to have some trunk space. I have clothing, a flare gun, a first aid kit, batteries, cig lighters, duct tape, electrical tape, some cash, 200 rounds of ammo, some water, granola bars, a roll of TP and some random useful things like paperclips and garbage bags. I also keep a flashlight, a few knives, a maglite (beating stick size), etc in the car that I like to be able to get to without going through the bag.

There's also a second bag that has tools, and a full-size fire extinguisher. There are two things in life that you don't want to have to look around for when you need them: a gun (or a knife) and a fire extinguisher. I try to have both nearby. The flare gun is handy, because it's multi-purpose - even if I am somehow separated from my regular one, a flare gun can be quite effective in a self-defense situation; aim for the body and it will go right through and burn a huge hole in their insides, which is a lot of bang for a single shot. This type of effect has been shown to occur in unfortunate flare gun accidents.

Things like TP are nice to have, but take up a lot of space and aren't a necessity; you can always use a book or leaves or something. I might also get a gas mask with canisters after a while; that's always good to have. Also, I keep a supply of amino acid pills; these are primarily used by weightlifters, but along with regular vitamins, they can be useful if you have to go without real food for a while and they take up a lot less space.

Last edited:
Wow, I have really slipped in this area. I have most of this stuff in my boat but not in a separate bag to scoot with. The freeze dried backpacking food has come in handy more than once. I also keep my seldom used vehicles full of fuel in case of emergency. The boat holds 58 gallons so that's a nice reserve. MRE's are handy but heavy and not so good.

New resolution for me......

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back