BUG Carry options

HowardCohodas

My primary carry is an M&P 4.5" barrel 45 in a SmartCarry holster.

I'm leaning toward a Ruger LCP for a BUG.

Questions:
1. Strong side vs weak side. I'm blessed to be nearly ambidextrous in most skills except writing. I am right-eyed so I tend to primary carry right-handed. I'm leaning toward carrying my BUG left-handed to add to my options. Any thoughts on this?

2. Jacket pocket vs pants pocket. For work and social occasions I'm mostly dressed with either a suit jacket or sports coat. When wearing a jacket, I'm inclined to have the BUG in my jacket pocket rather than my pants pocket. Any thoughts on this?

3. Wearing an Overcoat. During the really cold weather in Ohio I wear an overcoat. Second BUG for overcoat or transfer when removing overcoat? Although transfering risks exposure, I'm reluctant to leave one in the overcoat while I'm not wearing it. I don't like either solution. Any thoughts on this?

My primary carry is an M&P 4.5" barrel 45 in a SmartCarry holster.

I'm leaning toward a Ruger LCP for a BUG.

Questions:
1. Strong side vs weak side. I'm blessed to be nearly ambidextrous in most skills except writing. I am right-eyed so I tend to primary carry right-handed. I'm leaning toward carrying my BUG left-handed to add to my options. Any thoughts on this?
Sounds like an interesting idea. I've practiced drawing with my off-hand and hope I never have to do it. If you practice like this let us know how you like it.
2. Jacket pocket vs pants pocket. For work and social occasions I'm mostly dressed with either a suit jacket or sports coat. When wearing a jacket, I'm inclined to have the BUG in my jacket pocket rather than my pants pocket. Any thoughts on this?
I know a couple of people here that have a pocket sewn inside a vest for their pistol. Of course, they all wear it while riding, so it doesn't scream 'armed' when folks see them. I'd like to know the conclusion on this since I so rarely wear a jacket.
3. Wearing an Overcoat. During the really cold weather in Ohio I wear an overcoat. Second BUG for overcoat or transfer when removing overcoat? Although transfering risks exposure, I'm reluctant to leave one in the overcoat while I'm not wearing it. I don't like either solution. Any thoughts on this?
I don't own an overcoat, but when I did, you could reach through the pockets to reach the pockets of your pants. Are they still sewn like this? And, would this add too much time to your draw?

Interesting points. Sorry I've got nothing useful to add, but I will watch this thread--I do sometimes find myself visiting cold places, but I try not to.

I don't own an overcoat, but when I did, you could reach through the pockets to reach the pockets of your pants. Are they still sewn like this? And, would this add too much time to your draw?

Well, I wear a military issue raincoat with removable liner. Those are made such that you can reach through them to your pants pockets, however I find that it isn't a very good way to draw. You're more likely to pull the gun out of your pocket holster and get it snagged on the overcoat's pocket than you are to have a smooth draw. It doesn't get as cold down here in NC as it does farther north, but even on cold days I leave a middle button open and carry in a shoulder rig. That's the most efficient way I've come up with.

I carry my Kel tec P3AT in left front pocket of jeans in a Mikes #3 pocket holster. I only wear jeans. I'm right handed. My thing is that I already have to much stuff on the right side--knife clipped in pocket and coins and on my belt I have keys,cell and when I'm working I have a leatherman and when carrying I carry on the right side. Left side had nothing so that seemed like the best place for an extra gun.
I have carried like this for about 2 1/2 years

If you are considering carrying a BUG I strongly encourage you to look at a Double Action Only Revolver.

Revolvers sre still more reliable when you get to smaller guns. Sorry "bottomfeeder" fans, but this is just a fact. In the Duty Gun size it's a wash as Autoloaders are as reliable as revolvers now. It wasn't always that way. I started on wheelguns over two decades ago and after carrying both autoloaders and revolvers I'm pretty much back to Revolvers Only except for the 1911, but that's just me.

I recall answering this question in another forum, and my answers there still apply. Take care and stay safe. :)

Biker

Just my thoughts on a back up gun and deployment.

A bug is not a go to gun meaning(as in reference to concealed carry unless you carry two large sidearms and a bug), do not use your bug to continue a firefight, or lay down cover fire, unless its your only and last option(I am only saying to use it as last resort, I.E.a gun grab, out of primary ammo or a malfunction). Reason #1 you have a hard enough time concealing your main defensive side arm(most of us in the hot climates) so you will probably have your second deeply concealed and not have practiced as much so f$%-ups are more likely. But my main opinion is that the, probably, smaller caliber will do nothing but slow down or stun an attacker, no you say, but unless you can group rounds under pressure and place them well. Statistics win flonting a 80% recovery rate for a handgun shooting. Just remember to always carry a backup weather be it a knife gun etc., and keep it accessible to both hands(I.e.in the front waist band) for that worst case intimate wrestling gun grab scenario. And no matter what happens as far as every one around and involved in a struggle for your gun, or think your out of ammo will have a second very unexpected surprise. >M.

You can transfer from pants to jacket easily, I do it all the time. When I'm in my car, the gun goes into my jacket. When I step out, the gun goes into my waistband holster. I just lay the jacket across my lap to cover up what I'm doing, and if I have to, take a peek to make sure its tucked away properly. Its a non-issue for me. :)

When you are going for your BUG you are having a really bad day. It needs to be 100% reliable it needs to be small and light weight but it must have enough power to be a killing shot. I looked at all these things and came up with the S&W 38 snubbie model 642 which is hammerless so more snag free it also weighs in at 15 ozs. I am also looking at a set of Crimson Trace grips to improve my chances of hitting the target. One more thing a revolver like this can be fired from with in your pocket a automatic can not it will jam.

When I was a LEO I carried and practiced with my BUG in an "off hand" carry. The logic was, that my dominant hand might be occupied retaining my service weapon. Also, it is very common for the BG to be so focused on your weapon that the GG gets shot in his/her gun hand.

I dunno... something to consider.

I just started carrying a BUG, its a s&w 442. I keep it in my left front pocket which is my weak hand side. my thinking is if I need to go to my BUG it's probably because my strong hand/arm is for whatever reason out of the fight. I also would like to get either crimson trace grips or lasermax grips which are substantually cheaper.

My BUG is a Kahr CW9 in a Galco ankle holster. It's easily accessible with either hand. I have carried it in a pocket holster on occasion. I prefer a jacket pocket over pants only if I'm positive I won't be taking the jacket off. I would suggest practicing with each hand with both your primary and BUG.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back