budget gun for the recoil shy

aacx22

Tested Selected Initiated
I've been talking on and off with my sister about getting a firearm. She wants to do it, but she really didn't like the recoil on my brother's P226. Her budget is low right now, so she'll be using a credit card. So my experience is limited to .22 and 9mm. I've rented and fired full sized and compact hand guns from Glock, S&W, Ruger, and Kahr... but only 9s so far. What would you guys recommend for low recoil options of any self defense caliber on a budget.

Thanks in advance!

Recommendations will come in from near and far, as far as the requirements you list. Making it simple, I find it interesting that from what I understand, your historic "hitman" used a 22 and used it fairly close up. I do not believe your sister will be getting into any kind of gunfire exchange at distances greater than lets say 10-20 ft max, period/end of story. If it is good enough for a professional killer, it should be lethal enough for self defense. 22s are relatively inexpensive and have the very lo recoil you mentioned more than once. They can be small in size, which may suit your sister, easily carried, and low in weight--the cartridges are also small and light. Replies will be forthcoming that, perhaps, make fun of my choice and offer up the calibers above the 22---they can be inexpensive, particularly 32s and 380s, but they are not lo recoil. Once you get above the 380, your two-time comment on recoil becomes an irrelevant standard. Higher calibers should still be considered--just because someone is a woman is no reason that proper training with higher calibers would still be a problem due to recoil. Many of the best "shooters" around are women--they seem to have an innate sense of self that with training ends up making them more capable and accurate than men. Another possible choice is not a firearm--good, really good sprays and electronics like tasers etal will provide that immediate self defense that may be as good as the 22 although the 22 can be lethal and final unlike these other choices. Read the comments, google for more comments, go to gun shows, go to a good gun shop. Hands on advice and handling of devices is a needed prerequisite.

Howdy,

Recommendations will come in from near and far, as far as the requirements you list. Making it simple, I find it interesting that from what I understand, your historic "hitman" used a 22 and used it fairly close up. I do not believe your sister will be getting into any kind of gunfire exchange at distances greater than lets say 10-20 ft max, period/end of story. If it is good enough for a professional killer, it should be lethal enough for self defense. 22s are relatively inexpensive and have the very lo recoil you mentioned more than once. They can be small in size, which may suit your sister, easily carried, and low in weight--the cartridges are also small and light. Replies will be forthcoming that, perhaps, make fun of my choice and offer up the calibers above the 22---they can be inexpensive, particularly 32s and 380s, but they are not lo recoil. Once you get above the 380, your two-time comment on recoil becomes an irrelevant standard. Higher calibers should still be considered--just because someone is a woman is no reason that proper training with higher calibers would still be a problem due to recoil. Many of the best "shooters" around are women--they seem to have an innate sense of self that with training ends up making them more capable and accurate than men. Another possible choice is not a firearm--good, really good sprays and electronics like tasers etal will provide that immediate self defense that may be as good as the 22 although the 22 can be lethal and final unlike these other choices. Read the comments, google for more comments, go to gun shows, go to a good gun shop. Hands on advice and handling of devices is a needed prerequisite.

WTF?!?!?

You recommend a .22 as a self defense handgun to a woman that's new to shooting because that's what a professional "Hitman" reportedly uses.

Ok

Paul

I recently hooked up a friends mother with a Ruger sp101.
Not sure how you feel about revolvers, but they are great for
inexperienced shooters. This gun is pretty heavy, but no recoil
on 38sp ammo. Plan on getting her to shoot some +p & eventually,
Btw, she had NEVER shot a handgun in her life (60+).

Walther PK380. Just got my wife one and she loves it. She has shot every other caliber on the market including the 45 s&w colt so she knows what she is talking about. Operating the slide on the Walther is really simple for a mid fifties lady with a bit of arthritis. The 380 is the same as a 9mm but with a smaller charge. That reduces the recoil. She can rack her 9mm, my 40, and my 45 so the issue is really ease of use. If you are worried about knock down power then just put two rounds down range. Cost somewhere near 350 new depending on the retailer. Nice nice pistol.

Walter is a tad spendy, a bersa cost less and is worth looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for their input. I'm going to look into both the Walther .380 and the Ruger SP101... The Ruger might be more than my sis wants to spend, but we can rent it and try it out. I like the idea of a revolver for her. I think she'll learn to manage recoil, but she needs to get over the first hump of gaining familiarity with and proficiency with her first firearm.

Howdy,

WTF?!?!?

You recommend a .22 as a self defense handgun to a woman that's new to shooting because that's what a professional "Hitman" reportedly uses.

Ok

Paul
Do you really have to argue for the sake of arguing? My point is quite obvious----a 22 can be lethal. Try getting a life instead of wasting space.

If it is at all possible perhaps the best thing would be to take your sister to a gun shop that also has a range and rents guns and let her handle an assortment of revolvers and semi autos in an assortment of calibers (different guns in the same caliber have different levels of recoil) and find a few that she likes the feel of. Once she picks a few that she likes spend the money to rent them and have her work them, load them, and fire them.... and let her make the choice.

I learned long ago that it is best to let the person choose the gun they personally like because that will be the gun they will use/carry. The gun their well meaning husband/family member chooses for them will often be left in the safe just because they don't like it.

I know money is a factor yet maybe you can help her out a little there too.

Oh... my wife has fired everything from a .22 to a .45... revolver and semi auto. The guns she is most accurate with are a Smith & Wesson .22lr j frame revolver and a .22lr Walther P22. She carries the Smith. Accuracy beats missing regardless of the caliber.

Having said that.. whatever caliber a person is most accurate with in the gun that fits their personal situation (ease of use, ease of carry) is the one that would suit them best. And the only way to discover that is to shoot an assortment of guns in an assortment of calibers.

Hope that helps.

I'm fairly new to gun ownership - bought a Taurus 65 (357 with 4 inch barrel) about 6 months ago for home defense and a S&W SD9VE two weeks ago that isn't too hard to concal.

I may be wrong, but I think a 357 with a shorter barrel (like the Ruger mentioned above) might have quite a kick to it even with 38 Sp ammo. I'll also mention
that the first time I took my revolver to the range it felt like a lot of recoil, but the second time not so much - so it does get easier to handle.

Since you're sister is on a budget, it's all a matter of opinion, so I'd suggest taking a look @ the S&W SD9VE. I did a lot of watching vid's and reading reviews on it and other semi auto's. Some complain about it thinking it's a Sigma, which it isn't. The only 'real' negative complaint I found about it was that it was too inexpensive to be good, and all those were from people who didn't own one and probably hadn't shot one either. All the reviews that I found from people who had actually shot or owned one were positive.

The reason I suggest it, it's a slightly heavier (22 oz) than the Walther .380 (19 oz.) and it's also a 9mm. Being a 9 mm might give it a little more little, but being slightly heavier should help reduce the recoil- so I don't know how much more or less the recoil is - but with the SD9VE you'll get a 16 round magazine capacity which is nice. It comes with 2 magazines, has a lifetime warranty and can be had for $300 - $375 depending on where you buy it. Mine was $316 from Davidson's Gun Galery which a local gunshop uses as their online supplier. I don't think you can find a good quality high capacity pistol for less, if the cost is your main concern. You can google SD9VE reviews and will find lot's of info on youtube and online from folks who own and / or have tested them.

A lot of folks in chat rooms like this told me I should get a Glock for a couple hundred more, but I actually like the SD9VE more than the Glocks I tried. Just personal preference - not knocking Glocks, they're great too.

Tell your sister to be careful tho - it's easy to get hooked on guns. Now that I have my high capacity pistol and revolver, I'm already thinking about a smaller and easier conceal gun and then a rifle and shotgun and then... lol

Also agree with bikenut - best thing is to let your sis try different calibers and pistols, tho it might be best to buy the one she feels has just a little more recoil than she thinks she can handle because the next time she shoots it it will feel like less.

If budget is concerned, then a USED revolver would be a lot easier to accept than a used semi-auto. Less to break and you can get more gun for your money.

I'd recommend a used S&W Model 10 or Ruger Security Six/GP100 loaded with 148gr. mid-range target loads. They have negligible blast, flash and recoil, and cut a nice clean hole which promotes bleeding.

Police surplus guns are usually very reasonably priced.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'm going to take her shooting this coming weekend. There is a place called the Target Range near by that is both a store and a range that rents. Unfortunately We won't likely be able to try .380, as they never seem to have any ammo in that caliber. We'll try some .38s in 2" and 4". I am not sure exactly what models they have for rent yet though.

I emailed my brother also to ask if when he let her try his 9, it was loaded with +p. If that was the case, maybe some 9s would be approachable too.

Howdy kelcarry,

Do you really have to argue for the sake of arguing? My point is quite obvious----a 22 can be legal. Try getting a life instead of wasting space.

Yes, I like to argue for the same of arguing, but in this case I was point out that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and should NEVER under ANY circumstances give gun advice to anyone.

Yes, both of your post were a waste of space and the 1st one has to be in the Top Five stupidest things posted about guns on the 'Net this year, maybe even this decade.

With you train of thought ( that was hard to type with a straight face ) my 7 1/2" barreled Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull would be a great choice for a woman that's a beginning shooter because........hey! it's legal. Whatever the freak that means.

Leave posting gun stuff to the adult gun owners on this forum.

Paul

Howdy kelcarry,

Yes, I like to argue for the same of arguing, but in this case I was point out that you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and should NEVER under ANY circumstances give gun advice to anyone.

Yes, both of your post were a waste of space and the 1st one has to be in the Top Five stupidest things posted about guns on the 'Net this year, maybe even this decade.

With you train of thought ( that was hard to type with a straight face ) my 7 1/2" barreled Ruger Super Redhawk .454 Casull would be a great choice for a woman that's a beginning shooter because........hey! it's legal. Whatever the freak that means.

Leave posting gun stuff to the adult gun owners on this forum.

Paul

Your disease must be progressing, your spelling is going down hill in your ignorant rants. By the way Paul, is a .22 still a bad idea if it's all a person can proficiently use for concealed carry defense? Being proficient with a .22 is leaps and bounds more effective than being mediocre with something larger.

Dipwad...

Thanks everyone for their input. I'm going to look into both the Walther .380 and the Ruger SP101... The Ruger might be more than my sis wants to spend, but we can rent it and try it out. I like the idea of a revolver for her. I think she'll learn to manage recoil, but she needs to get over the first hump of gaining familiarity with and proficiency with her first firearm.

You are correct in your comments. The SP101 will give her a fair "jolt" but the idea of a no-nonsense simple revolver over a more intricate semi makes good sense. Lots of ladies fire revolvers and do so with ease and accuracy--practice and training, practice and training.

Howdy gunnerbob,

Your disease must be progressing, your spelling is going down hill in your ignorant rants. By the way Paul, is a .22 still a bad idea if it's all a person can proficiently use for concealed carry defense? Being proficient with a .22 is leaps and bounds more effective than being mediocre with something larger.

Dipwad...

The misspell stuff is for idiots like you to get their panties in a wad over. I usually just blame it on the iPhone auto-correct but if it gets your pantiesn in a wad I'll take credit for it.

If a .22 is all you have then it beats a stick or rocks.

Many people have been killed with a .22 handgun but many more have survived even after being shot numerous times.

Also most people that were killed with a .22 handgun were murdered and were NOT BG that were killed a SD shooting.

A fairly recent shooting that I know of involving a .22 handgun was a shooting between a husband and wife.

The wife caught her husband in bed with another woman ( I've known the woman for over 25 years ) and the man got dressed and went to his Mom's house in Little Rock. The wife followed him and confronted him on the front porch. He started bragging about screwing the other woman and the wife pulled out a Jennings J22 .22LR semi-auto pistol and shot her husband 6Xs in the side and back as he fled back into the house.

He bled out before the EMTs arrived. It actually took him about 5 minutes to die and he was able to walk over to a chair and sit down AFTER being shot 6Xs.

Will a .22 handgun kill someone? Sure. But it would NOT be my first choice for a SD handgun especially for a new shooter.

Practice gun? Sure. SD gun? Wouldn't be my first choice, especially against someone that's intent on killing me.

Carry on dipwad and grow up. You remind me of my daughter's 26yo boyfriend........he's a dumbbutt punk kid that doesn't realize he's a dumpbutt punk kid. Maybe in 10 years or so he'll grow up and realize he was a dumbbutt punk kid but for now only time will tell.

Back the the OP question:

For a SD gun for someone that's new to handguns, especially women, I would recommend a .38 Special revolver. When I met my Wife she had never fired a handgun ( grew up hunting, shooting longguns but never a handgun ) so I have her my S&W Model 15-3 .38 Special. It's loaded with Rem. 125gr JHP STD Velocity and can keep them inside 3" at 25' when fired double action and a small ragged hole when fired single action.

Paul

Howdy gunnerbob,

The misspell stuff is for idiots like you to get their panties in a wad over. I usually just blame it on the iPhone auto-correct but if it gets your pantiesn in a wad I'll take credit for it.

If a .22 is all you have then it beats a stick or rocks.

Many people have been killed with a .22 handgun but many more have survived even after being shot numerous times.

Also most people that were killed with a .22 handgun were murdered and were NOT BG that were killed a SD shooting.

A fairly recent shooting that I know of involving a .22 handgun was a shooting between a husband and wife.

The wife caught her husband in bed with another woman ( I've known the woman for over 25 years ) and the man got dressed and went to his Mom's house in Little Rock. The wife followed him and confronted him on the front porch. He started bragging about screwing the other woman and the wife pulled out a Jennings J22 .22LR semi-auto pistol and shot her husband 6Xs in the side and back as he fled back into the house.

He bled out before the EMTs arrived. It actually took him about 5 minutes to die and he was able to walk over to a chair and sit down AFTER being shot 6Xs.

Will a .22 handgun kill someone? Sure. But it would NOT be my first choice for a SD handgun especially for a new shooter.

Practice gun? Sure. SD gun? Wouldn't be my first choice, especially against someone that's intent on killing me.

Carry on dipwad and grow up. You remind me of my daughter's 26yo boyfriend........he's a dumbbutt punk kid that doesn't realize he's a dumpbutt punk kid. Maybe in 10 years or so he'll grow up and realize he was a dumbbutt punk kid but for now only time will tell.

Back the the OP question:

For a SD gun for someone that's new to handguns, especially women, I would recommend a .38 Special revolver. When I met my Wife she had never fired a handgun ( grew up hunting, shooting longguns but never a handgun ) so I have her my S&W Model 15-3 .38 Special. It's loaded with Rem. 125gr JHP STD Velocity and can keep them inside 3" at 25' when fired double action and a small ragged hole when fired single action.

Paul

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Question about revolvers. What do you guys think about Rock Island? I can see a 2" .38sp on buds guns for like $240. The online reviews talk about it having a rough finish (which we do not care about), but overall its getting good marks. Anyone have some personal experience with these?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back