Brown University Kills 'Columbus Day' for 'Fall Weekend'

HK4U

These are some of the same type of idiots that voted for the mesiah.[/I:wacko:

Link Removed

Brown University Kills 'Columbus Day' for 'Fall Weekend'

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

"Fall Weekend" will be taking the place of the holiday formerly known as "Columbus Day" at Brown University this fall.

The faculty of the Ivy League university voted at a meeting Tuesday to establish a new academic and administrative holiday in October called "Fall Weekend" that coincides with Columbus Day, but that doesn't bear the name of the explorer.

Hundreds of Brown students had asked the Providence, R.I. school to stop observing Columbus Day, saying Christopher Columbus's violent treatment of Native Americans he encountered was inconsistent with Brown's values.

"I'm very pleased," Reiko Koyama, a sophomore who led the effort, told the student newspaper, the Brown Daily Herald. "It's been a long time coming."

The change will take effect this fall.

Although the students had asked the school to take another day off instead, Brown will remain closed on Columbus Day, in part to avoid inconveniencing staff whose children might have the holiday off, the Daily Herald reported.

Many other colleges are open on Columbus Day but give students short breaks later in the semester.

Last month a Brown Daily Herald poll found two-thirds of the students supported changing the holiday's name to Fall Weekend, the newspaper reported.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

The Students are Correct about Columbus

The students and faculty at Brown are correct. Columbus was not the hero we were taught in earlier history books. More recent history books are more truthful about him.

This has nothing to do with political correctness, and everything to do with historical accuracy.

You can check out my video about Columbus (which is historically accurate) on youtube at:

YouTube - All About Christopher Columbus

If the video seems to run too quickly for you to read the information, hit the pause/play button to stop it temporarily while you read. Then hit the pause/play button to start it up again.

Columbus did not discover America. The Vikings had settlements here (actually in North America) hundreds of years before. Columbus never even set foot on United States soil. He died thinking he had found a better trade route to India (hence First Nation people are called Indians).

Columbus engaged in genocide against the populations where he landed.

I urge everyone to research history and not rely on the inaccuracies you were taught years ago. There were lots of inaccurate stories in those history texts. My video above is a good starting place.

The information you have in your video would be MUCH better displayed if you were to put it in a .pdf or .doc file. Video was a poor choice for that type of information/display. If you do put it in a .pdf, I would be interested in reading it. I made it through the video, but it wasn't easy to do.

The Students are Correct about Columbus

Hi Oregon Vet,

I actually do have it as a PDF. I'll put the PDF up on Mediafire tomorrow and post a downloadable link.

Yvette

it should be called Leif Ericksson day. They sailed to NewFoundland, and were driven off by the "Skraelings" (natives). they didn't go there to kill, but to farm in the fertile soils, unlike the barely liveable Greenland.

And all the founding fathers were were evil men also if you believe the p.c. verson of history. I don't.

Rewriting history...

CAUTION: This message has some parts that are NOT Politically Correct. Do NOT read if you get offended by things that aren't PC.

A LOT of name changing around here in Oregon. SQUAW is one of the biggies "everyone" (by "everyone" I mean the "left side" mostly) is complaining about.

squaw (skwô)
n.
1. Offensive A Native American woman, especially a wife.
2. Offensive Slang A woman or wife.

Colored people can call us 'White boy,' 'Cracker,' 'Honkey,' 'Whitey,' 'Caveman'... and that's OK.

But when we call them; Nigger, Kike, Towel head, Sand-nigger, Camel Jockey, Beaner, Gook, or Chink... they call us racist.

Blacks can call each other niggers but white people can't because that would be racist.

How come everyone called female American Indians squaws for about 500 (that's right FIVE HUNDRED) years and then, ALL OF THE SUDDEN, it was OFFENSIVE.

All at once we have to change calling something that has been called that for HUNDREDS of years to something "nicer". I think that hit here about 25-30 years ago, no one wanted to live on Squaw Rd any more. I don't know if they changed Squaw Mt. yet or not.

(In 2001, the Oregon State Legislature called fro (sic) the removal of the word "squaw" from all geographic features in the state. In line with this proposal, the Oregon Geographic Names Board has proposed renaming Squaw Creek, Squaw Lakes, Squaw Meadow and Squaw Mountain to Tumala Creek, Tumala Lakes, Tumala Meadow and Tumala Mountain. Clackamas County plans to rename Squaw Mountain Road to Tumala Mountain Road.)

They need to leave the original history alone the way it was/is, and ADD the "new" history that disagrees with the history books that are on the shelves already.

Personally, I don't care what Columbus did that we have to change now. We just use his name as a holiday. So, if we take the Columbus out of Columbus day... how can we still have it? Pretty strange, pretty strange. Instead of "What are you going to do on Columbus Day weekend?" it turns into "What are you going to do on Fall Weekend weekend?"

What's Fall Weekend weekend? I don't know. When's Columbus Day? Oh, YEAH, Fall Weekend weekend used to be Columbus Day weekend, now I remember.

What a crock.

What are they going to call Memorial Day? How about 4th of July? Gonna change the name of that too? Labor Day? Thanksgiving? Christmas?

Instead of Thanksgiving, how about Rip off the Indians day. Wasn't Thanksgiving Day the day the settlers and the Indians all got together and had a big feast celebration? Everybody happy and singing? Everyone giving each other presents...

Oh, the Europeans were BAD, they FORGOT to tell the Indians that the little bright pieces of glass that the Indians liked so much weren't worth anything.

They were happy until the "PC" people told them they were getting ripped off. Always the PC people. Always.

How long before there is no Columbus Day in the whole USA?

I don't care one way or the other, but I think that we SHOULD start caring what is being done in the name of being "PC".

Are we having fun yet? LOL

Ken

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back