broome NY pistol permit

tredoa377

so, i went and applied for my pistol permit last friday the 10th, now i'm playing the waiting game, does anyone on the forum have any idea how long it might take me to hear back about the permit. i'm a broome county NY resident

What are the Federal laws concerning travel on the NATCHES TRACE FEDERAL PARKWAY in Mississippi ?

I don't know about the time frame, but you will definitely receive a restricted permit. That's the rule in Broome County.

What you need to do after that is attend a class that is authorized by the court to upgrade your restricted to a full carry permit. I run such a course. Mine is the only one that will actually train you, not just certify you. besides, it's the most economical out of all of them. I've run over 100 people through the class and every one of them that submitted for their upgrade has received it in about two to three weeks.

Here's a link to the info:

Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York

Scroll down to the Defensive Pistol Skills 101/CCW Upgrade listing. Pick the date that you can attend and we'll see you there!

If you have any questions, feel free to email me through the website.

Good luck and I hope to see you soon

Dave

To the OP, I got my pistol permit in Broome about 2 years ago, and it took roughly 3-4 months to have them get back to me. Hopefully your wait is less, but given recent politics, supposedly theres a rush to get guns in general, and your wait may be longer. They had told me they reserved up to 6 months to reply!

I've since moved out of state (much to my dismay...lived in Broome nearly all my life), and now in CT, one positive factor is that CCW permits are easier to get, and I just finished getting mine here to carry. Only a 2 month wait too.

A followup question for Roch if he knows. I was always interested in getting my permit upgraded in NY, but never knew of any method of doing so. Is there any chance to have my NY one upgraded, now that I'm an out of state resident? I know having a CCW in CT wont hold much weight, but I'm interested in an upgraded permit for a number of reasons, one being that there's much more room to shoot in NY than CT...most of my family owns large plots of land in NY...whereas in CT an acre is for the wealthy...lol. Having a permit between the two states would ease my mind a little, especially once I get in the habit of carrying in CT; I'd hate to sneak into NY on accident carrying! Any info would be great!

There is no way to live outside NY State and legally have a NY permit. There is no provision for a NY Non resident permit either.

BTW... Broome is now doing the upgrades with an approved class....guess who has one?

ME!!!

dave

Dave what is the rule no one living outside NY? How is it determined? If I own property and pay taxes but move my drivers license and car registrations and insurance to another state to reduce insurance and other fees will I have to surrender my NYS permit?

What is your primary residence? Meaning if you spend 51% of your time in NY, then NY would be your primary. They will also go by your drivers license too.

That's the quick and easy way they determine residency. If you have moved all of your addresses and other stuff outside of NY, and you spend more than half of your time living outside of NY, you may have to obtain a permit from that place and lose your NY permit. if you are not a resident, then you are not a resident. There are no 'kinda-sorta's"

hey tredoa337

very important to remember to remind your references to mail in their letters!

you put down names and addys in the application

broome county will get ahold of them and ask them to write the letter

you have to continually talk to your references to see if they have gotten the letter and
if they have written and then SENT IN the reference

this can hold up the process (even though the thing can take 4 to 6 months)
if they are slow, it will take even longer

i had to remind one of mine for like three months....yeah...i am going to do it today...
uh...i forgot...gonna do it tomorrow....well....weeks, and then months passed.....

dont let them forget!

(oh.....one of mine had some "history" which actually didnt allow him to write for me....
legal, stupid stuff when he was a kid, but it still follows you....so i had to go and get
the application amended and then it had to be sent out to the new reference writer, which
added even more time.....)

so....pester them until you know the refs are in the mail....

So, there is a ton of great news coming out of this program we are doing. Three counties have signed on to allow the training and two more are pending now. The word is spreading, Rochester Personal Defense, LLC is the class to take.

We've graduated a few hundred people to achieve their goal of getting a CCW permit and I know there are more out there.

Come train with the only group that is referred by the gun shops in the area as well as the licensing offices.

To assist the original poster's question. it's been taking about 2 months to process a permit in Broome County providing all of your reference's have returned there reference letters back..this seems to be the biggest thing that hold back a permit from proceeding to the next step. and make sure your reference don't have a undesirable background this will delay your application process.

so, i went and applied for my pistol permit last friday the 10th, now i'm playing the waiting game, does anyone on the forum have any idea how long it might take me to hear back about the permit. i'm a broome county NY resident

They are all backed up in NY. I waited 10 months for mine. Got a buddy in the process for 3 months now, was told by the investigating officer that it will be another 6 months before he sees the judge. That's 9 months before the judge makes a decision. Then you need to figure another 6-8 weeks to get the card in the mail.

I don't know about the time frame, but you will definitely receive a restricted permit. That's the rule in Broome County.

What you need to do after that is attend a class that is authorized by the court to upgrade your restricted to a full carry permit. I run such a course. Mine is the only one that will actually train you, not just certify you. besides, it's the most economical out of all of them. I've run over 100 people through the class and every one of them that submitted for their upgrade has received it in about two to three weeks.

Here's a link to the info:

Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York

Scroll down to the Defensive Pistol Skills 101/CCW Upgrade listing. Pick the date that you can attend and we'll see you there!

If you have any questions, feel free to email me through the website.

Good luck and I hope to see you soon

Were the 100 people that had their permits upgraded all from Broome County or is that the overall number through out the State? Thanks!

Dave

To the OP, I got my pistol permit in Broome about 2 years ago, and it took roughly 3-4 months to have them get back to me. Hopefully your wait is less, but given recent politics, supposedly theres a rush to get guns in general, and your wait may be longer. They had told me they reserved up to 6 months to reply!

I've since moved out of state (much to my dismay...lived in Broome nearly all my life), and now in CT, one positive factor is that CCW permits are easier to get, and I just finished getting mine here to carry. Only a 2 month wait too.

A followup question for Roch if he knows. I was always interested in getting my permit upgraded in NY, but never knew of any method of doing so. Is there any chance to have my NY one upgraded, now that I'm an out of state resident? I know having a CCW in CT wont hold much weight, but I'm interested in an upgraded permit for a number of reasons, one being that there's much more room to shoot in NY than CT...most of my family owns large plots of land in NY...whereas in CT an acre is for the wealthy...lol. Having a permit between the two states would ease my mind a little, especially once I get in the habit of carrying in CT; I'd hate to sneak into NY on accident carrying! Any info would be great!

Were the 100 people that had their permits upgraded all from Broome County or is that the overall number through out the State? Thanks! Looking forward to your reply :)

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back