'Broken gun' conviction upheld by court.

I don't understand how using different ammo can cause the gun to fire multiple rounds. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks

There were/are so many lies, exaggerations and pure BS on both sides of this case that I can't believe any of it. This case has been beaten to death on every gun board in the US since it started and there is much more to it than just a "broken gun" as some are trying to make out like. I don't know how guilty Mr. Olfson is but he isn't snow white.

I don't understand how using different ammo can cause the gun to fire multiple rounds. Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks

Some guns like the AR15 do have a firing pin that makes contact with the primer when the round is chambered. I've heard of cases were a round had a high primer that caused a double fire when chambered. That's the only thing I can think of ammo wise that would cause it to fire multiple rounds.

Some guns like the AR15 do have a firing pin that makes contact with the primer when the round is chambered. I've heard of cases were a round had a high primer that caused a double fire when chambered. That's the only thing I can think of ammo wise that would cause it to fire multiple rounds.

Thanks, I am not well versed in rifles.

One way is when the disconnector breaks or is worn and it allows the hammer to stay against the firing pin when the bolt carrier goes forward instead of locking the hammer in battery. This allows pressure on the firing pin. Using reloads with soft primers will cause the round to go off when it slams forward. From what I understand about this case this is most likely what happened.

FWIW

David Olofson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

David Olofson is a U.S. Army veteran who was tried and convicted by the U.S. Federal government on the charge of "transferring a machine gun" after he lent his 20-year old AR-15 rifle to a friend, Robert Kiernicki, and it malfunctioned on a shooting range, emitting multiple rounds and immediately jamming three times in a row, which aroused suspicion that the rifle was in fact an automatic weapon.[1][2]

Kiernicki testified that Olofson had told Kiernicki that the third position of the rifle's firing selector was for automatic firing, but it jammed, court records indicate. He also testified Olofson told him he had fired the weapon on the automatic setting at that same range without a problem.[3] According to Len Savage, a weaponry expert who runs Historic Arms LLC, BATFE paid Kiernicki an undisclosed amount of money for his testimony.[4]

Reading this post got me thinking...I have fired some seriously old, worn out m16's while I was in the Marines. I have had to stick a sliver of cardboard between the upper and lower reciever to keep them from rocking. I have never, however had more than one round fire off un-intentionally. I'm suspicious of the "old worn out gun" defense in this case.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back