Brass Knuckles Legality

G50AE

What are the laws in your state about carrying brass knuckles? Please make sure to indicate your home state when replying.

Pinnacle Safety

Ive lived in Oh Az and in Ga and theyre illegal in all those states but papper weights arent which theyre sold as and if your taking your paper weight from work to your home office then hey...you better be a very convincing person and yes I own srveral pair including one sold as a belt buckle havint worn it as a belt yet

Dave Wurz

In New Mexico, they're specifically defined as "deadly weapons" under NMSA 1978, Section 30-1-12(B). Section 30-7-2 makes it a petty misdemeanor to carry them.

Hamilton Felix

Pretty d****d silly, I know. But most states have laws like that. All sorts of weapons far less effective than our pistols, ASP batons, nunchucks (two sticks tied together), brass knuckles, saps, knives, sword canes, you name it. I can wear my .45 with no problem, but any of a host of far less deadly weapons will make me a criminal just by being there.

Some places won't even let you carry pepper spray. But a squirt bottle of ammonia or oven cleaner isn't a weapon. You can't carry a sap or baton, but your Maglight isn't a weapon...

None of it makes any sense.

WB9IIE

Master of Poverty Knob
:pleasantry:Brass knuckles are a prohibited weapon in Tennessee. It is a class A misdemeanor to possess brass knuckles in Tennessee.

Adam Rickman

In Texas under Sec. 46.05 of the penal code it is a Class A misdemeanor. A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs, or sells.

In NC you will be going to jail. CC only covers handguns. Not knifes(over X#" long), numchucks, knucks,or anything that can be considered a deadly weapon.

cawpin

Regarding the various states' laws, as Pinnacle Safety mentioned, I've only seen them sold as paper weights for the last 20 years so none of the criminal code applies.

SGTSKI

In Washington they are illegal;

RCW 9.41.250
Dangerous weapons -- Penalty.
Every person who:

(1) Manufactures, sells, or disposes of or possesses any instrument or weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or spring blade knife, or any knife the blade of which is automatically released by a spring mechanism or other mechanical device, or any knife having a blade which opens, or falls, or is ejected into position by the force of gravity, or by an outward, downward, or centrifugal thrust or movement;

(2) Furtively carries with intent to conceal any dagger, dirk, pistol, or other dangerous weapon; or

(3) Uses any contrivance or device for suppressing the noise of any firearm, unless the suppressor is legally registered and possessed in accordance with federal law, is guilty of a gross misdemeanor punishable under chapter 9A.20 RCW.

DukeYukon

I can't quote the statute, but I am pretty certain they are illegal in my home state of Arkansas. You probably can't keep a club in your car, either. Of course where you keep your tire tool is entirely up to you. ;)

Deafninja

Ohio, you would be going to jail! But really why even bother carrying, unless you are wearing it all the time! By the time you get those suckers on, you will have a gun drawn on you or have your ass handed to you before you even slip your fingers into them.

G50AE

SC Law

SECTION 16-23-460. Carrying concealed weapons; forfeiture of weapons.

(A) A person carrying a deadly weapon usually used for the infliction of personal injury concealed about his person is guilty of a misdemeanor, must forfeit to the county, or, if convicted in a municipal court, to the municipality, the concealed weapon, and must be fined not less than two hundred dollars nor more than five hundred dollars or imprisoned not less than thirty days nor more than ninety days.

(B) The provisions of this section do not apply to:

(1) A person carrying a concealed weapon upon his own premises or pursuant to and in compliance with Article 4, Chapter 31 of Title 23; or

(2) peace officers in the actual discharge of their duties.

(C) The provisions of this section also do not apply to rifles, shotguns, dirks, slingshots, metal knuckles, knives, or razors unless they are used with the intent to commit a crime or in furtherance of a crime.

Oldgrunt

Brass knuckles are illegal in Alabama. Can be fined $50.00 to $500.00 and six months in county jail.

Cotillion

So to sum it up I think brass knuckles are illegal everywhere. I'm on my phone so I can't quote but reading the stat from Washington I think my 3inch knife is illegal there wtf! To open you hold it from the side and press down on a certain part and the blade slides up from the other side. It's not mechanical or a switch blade but it basically said any knife that can be extracted without having to physically pull the blade out

localgirl

So to sum it up I think brass knuckles are illegal everywhere. I'm on my phone so I can't quote but reading the stat from Washington I think my 3inch knife is illegal there wtf! To open you hold it from the side and press down on a certain part and the blade slides up from the other side. It's not mechanical or a switch blade but it basically said any knife that can be extracted without having to physically pull the blade out

Wow. My little pink Kershaw pocket knife with open assist has just made me a criminal! Don't mess with me! I'm a baaaad chica!

tuts40

I don't worry about brass knuckles or the like, just my .02

If I'm that close to someone who is likely bigger, meaner, faster and more evil than I am well, I'm gunna likely be toast. I know that hand to hand and associated gun retention is an important consideration and sometimes i wish I'd spend more time with it...

Anyway, I am too lazy to look into my states laws regarding brass knuckles. :-(

tuts40

Wow. My little pink Kershaw pocket knife with open assist has just made me a criminal! Don't mess with me! I'm a baaaad chica!

Maybe not. Define "pull". Can "push" suffice? If so, you must push (or pull) the thumb stud to start the action and is not therefore an "auto" knife, right? I'm not a lawyer so maybe someone who is on the cutting edge of knife law can comment on this. ;-)

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vmagosucom