Boy Playing Cops And Robbers Shot By Deputy

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
A boy playing "cops and robbers" with a toy handgun has been shot and wounded by a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy, officials say.

The boy was shot shortly Sunday night in Palmdale. Deputy Jeff Gordon says the boy was hospitalized in stable condition and is expected to survive.

His age and identity were not immediately released.

Gordon says deputies were responding to reports that someone was riding a bicycle and brandishing a handgun. They spotted the rider and ordered him to drop the weapon but instead, Gordon says he pointed it at the deputies.

One deputy fired a shot and hit the boy in the upper body.

Palmdale is about 50 miles north of downtown Los Angeles.

Source: Link Removed

Last edited by a moderator:
SEE? This is why guns should be outlawed! Those crazy cops, going around, shooting little kids with toy guns! Cops should NOT carry guns, they're too dangerous! If only ONE little kid is saved by taking guns away from cops, then we have accomplished our goals!

[Brady anti-spasmo mode OFF]

See how stupid this looks? But I'm surprised that the kid was allowed to even HAVE a toy gun in CA. Beside the fact that it LOOKED like a real gun, it probably contained minute particles of lead in the paint and springs, and he could have died of cancer just carrying it around. Oh, for shame!

In CA, no one is allowed to have a gun. So say the politicos.

It is really unfortunate when you hear stories like this on the news. i am a big fan of cops but i thought they were highly trained and at least able to know when to not shoot kids. this cop should have his badge taken away and the family should file a civil lawsuite.

It is really unfortunate when you hear stories like this on the news. i am a big fan of cops but i thought they were highly trained and at least able to know when to not shoot kids. this cop should have his badge taken away and the family should file a civil lawsuite.

How about the family accepting responsibility for the kid having a gun that looked REAL and was not taught to treat all guns as though they are real. You don't ever point a gun at a police officer or anyone unless you want to kill them.

You need to rethink that statement on being a fan of cops with a response like that.

Not a lot of details, time, age ect. Somebody point a real looking gun at me under the right circumstances the result would be the same. This kid is not dead and that may be the result of the officer making the right decision in a split second not to kill him. Might not be, might be the kid got lucky, we don't know.

I saw a ride-by shootout while working in downtown Charleston at 3 am or so under the old Cooper River bridge one night by 2 "Kids" not over 15 or 16 riding bicycles (the transportation mode of choice of the local gangsters). End result was one "kid" riding his bike through the hood, two more came from opposite directions and first "kid" very dead. If you were the first officer that came up on that what would you do?

We don't know the whole story.

Not a lot of details, time, age ect. Somebody point a real looking gun at me under the right circumstances the result would be the same. This kid is not dead and that may be the result of the officer making the right decision in a split second not to kill him. Might not be, might be the kid got lucky, we don't know.

I saw a ride-by shootout while working in downtown Charleston at 3 am or so under the old Cooper River bridge one night by 2 "Kids" not over 15 or 16 riding bicycles (the transportation mode of choice of the local gangsters). End result was one "kid" riding his bike through the hood, two more came from opposite directions and first "kid" very dead. If you were the first officer that came up on that what would you do?

If the officer fired, his intent was to kill. "Shoot to wound" is a concept that exists only in the movies and with dead/very lucky people.

As for whether the cop was wrong... Well, we weren't there. We don't know the situation. If the tip had been removed, well... Gangs in LA are well known for recruiting kids before they turn 10. Wouldn't be surprised if this cop had already experienced that.

I wonder what that cop would say to one of us if he responded to one of us shooting a kid with a toy gun? Just a thought. He would arrest us, and be calling us an idiot the whole way to the station.

From the article linked above.

PALMDALE, Calif. — A 15-year-old boy playing "cops and robbers" with a toy gun was shot and wounded by a sheriff's deputy who mistook it for the real thing, authorities said Monday.

The boy, whose identity was not immediately released, was hospitalized in stable condition, Los Angeles County sheriff's Deputy Jeff Gordon said.

"He's expected to fully recover," Gordon said.

Deputies answering reports of someone riding a bicycle and brandishing a handgun went to 20th Street shortly before 8 p.m. Sunday and spotted the rider, Gordon said.

They ordered him to drop the weapon but instead he pointed it at deputies, Gordon said.

One deputy fired a shot and hit the boy in the upper body, he said.

Gordon said the teen apparently had been playing "cops and robbers" using a replica gun that resembled a black semiautomatic pistol with brown grips.

Gordon said the gun lacked the orange tip that most toys carry to distinguish them from real weapons.

This isn't the Matrix where Neo can move out of the way of bullets. The cop had only one chance and less than one second to make the decision whether he wanted to die or not.

I wonder what that cop would say to one of us if he responded to one of us shooting a kid with a toy gun? Just a thought. He would arrest us, and be calling us an idiot the whole way to the station.

The all-knowing JimmyFingers

Please explain to us mere mortals how you know how someone you have never met would react in a situation you have never been in.

I will be awaiting enlightenment.

The all-knowing JimmyFingers

Please explain to us mere mortals how you know how someone you have never met would react in a situation you have never been in.

I will be awaiting enlightenment.

First, why are you jumping to the conclusion that I have never been in that situation?

Are you a Current or ex-cop?
I have dealt with enough cops to know they would not be on your side. Why did you shoot that poor boy? Your life was not in danger! It was a toy gun! You shot him prematurely. Since it was a toy, you were not in actual danger were you. etc, etc.

Then the DA will nail you to the wall! You evil gun carrier. If you didn't have that evil gun, you wouldn't of been able to shoot that boy.

In case you are wondering? I also think that 99% of the cops in this country will obey unlawful orders and come take your guns away someday.

The cop did the only thing he could do in the situation- everything he heard and sensed to that point was that it was a real gun. It doesn't matter to the shoot that later on it was found to be a toy.

I feel bad for the guy doing the shooting- there are few things out there worse than having to shoot a kid, and then to find out it was just a gun... tough to deal with. He'll go through a lot and hopefully stay on the job.

It's a tragedy any time something like this happens. A 15 year old is not a toddler playing, he's a potential danger to responding officers. The whole story is not out yet, however, when he decided to point his gun at the officers after being told to drop it he became a threat. They then only have a split second to make a life and death decision. The toy was not easily identifiable as such, the police were called concerning someone pointing a weapon, the boy was told to drop his weapon and pointed it at them. It all adds up to an officer very likely making a justified shoot, a decision he will now live with. Many people immediately want to blame the police when this happens. They site "training" should have prevented this but don't understand the dynamics of the situation at hand.

First, why are you jumping to the conclusion that I have never been in that situation?

Are you a Current or ex-cop?
I have dealt with enough cops to know they would not be on your side. Why did you shoot that poor boy? Your life was not in danger! It was a toy gun! You shot him prematurely. Since it was a toy, you were not in actual danger were you. etc, etc.

Then the DA will nail you to the wall! You evil gun carrier. If you didn't have that evil gun, you wouldn't of been able to shoot that boy.

In case you are wondering? I also think that 99% of the cops in this country will obey unlawful orders and come take your guns away someday.

You sir have no business operating anything but a tonka toy. Be sure and take off that tin foil hat at least once a week.

I love the tolerance! I am also entitled to my opinion. But, you can go on and make your conclusion based on only 2 of my posts. Hmmm, you kinda sound like what a progressive would say. They usually attack with your kind of comment.
I based my post on my experience with the police. Sure, maybe the cop was justified. We will see. On whose word did the kid point the gun at them? His? His partners? All I am saying is the cops today are not on our side. They are on their side. I would not be given the same understanding by the cops if I was the shooter. That was my original point.

I will not resort to the same intolerance shown by you. I respect your opinion, and your right to express it. Too bad you don't give the same.

not shoot to kill

If the officer fired, his intent was to kill. "Shoot to wound" is a concept that exists only in the movies and with dead/very lucky people.

As for whether the cop was wrong... Well, we weren't there. We don't know the situation. If the tip had been removed, well... Gangs in LA are well known for recruiting kids before they turn 10. Wouldn't be surprised if this cop had already experienced that.

While I partially agree with you, police do not "shoot to kill" either. THey are trained to shoot until they "Stop the threat". If that means the wounds are fatal so be it, but if they aren't and the threat is stopped, they have accomplished what they needed to do. In this case we have a small child. It is very likely that 1 round was enough to stop the threat. Did he intend to make the shot non lethal? Only he knows...but he did his job and what he was trained to do. He stopped the threat. It is very unfortunate that the child had to learn the hard way.

You sir have no business operating anything but a tonka toy. Be sure and take off that tin foil hat at least once a week.

:sarcastic:

Glad you didn't refer to anything made by "Mattel", as in my earlier years in the Army, we joked that the M-16 rifles we were issued were made by "Mattel". :lol:

gf

What happened to the "good ol days" playing Cops and Robbers, Cowboys and Indians, Hunter and the Hunted??? Blame it on us crazy Americans who allow our kid's to watch these related crap TV shows....... Can someone tell me what the percentage is on how many "Cop" related shows there are on TV, 85-90%...more, less???? Every channel is a Cop show! Every game is shooting someone!
Give these kid/s a swift kick in the ass and Smarten' them up!
The police are "doing their job". This world is not getting any better. I May or May not agree with what had happened, but these officers put up with this crap day in and day out and need to be very aggressive when faced with any situation involving ANY kind of weapon. Straighten your shit for brians kid up and know what the hell They are doing. Get involved with their lives and some of these Parents also need to screw their numb ass heads back on too!

MY opinion: Everyone, on here especially has an opinion. We May or May Not agree which is what it's all about. But please, keep the "attacks" to yourselves. I comment on other peoples comments but I do not mean to offend That person at all (sometimes it May seem to be offensive, but it is not). Come on, we are all a bunch of nice people on here, let's keep it that way.
thnx.
sambo

When I was a LEO, I damned near killed a 15 Year old mentally handicapped kid with a toy gun. I was on patrol, when the radio dispatcher advised of a Man With A Gun threatening to shoot kids. I was 3 blocks away. As I turned the corner, I saw a Black Male about 6 feet tall aiming what appeared to be a 6" Barrelled Nickel Plated Colt Python (I know my guns and their appearance), at two young children standing in a shallow ditch by the road, The kids had their hands up and the Man was saying something to them as he pointed the gun at them. As I pulled up to his right, I opened my door, stepped out of the car, and aimed a Benelli 12 Ga semi-auto shotgun at him, round chambered, safety off. I yelled twice for him to drop the gun, and moved my finger to the trigger. Four light pounds of pressure during stress mode, was about to end his life. He turned an looked at me, and something told me to wait. I again yelled for him to drop the gun, and he just smiled and said something I couldn't understand. Something wasn't right here. About that time, the little girl in the ditch, said in a soft little girl voice, "Mr. Cop, it ain't real." He's jus' playin." At that time the "Man with the gun", spotted a bird on a limb in a near by tree. He pointed the gun at the bird and said, kabang, kabang, got a duck.
Needless to say, the shotgun went back to a non-defensive position, and I turned about three shades of pale. After walking up to the "Man with the Gun", I found him to be mentally, about as a child, and the gun was a cheap metal damn near exact duplicate of the Colt Python. I took the boy and his gun to his momma, and explained the situation to her, very graphically I might add, about how her son was for all practical purposes, DEAD, and I was being Investigated for shooting a handicapped child with a toy gun. And futhermore, the only thing between that situation and us standing her now, was a 1/4 inch pull of a trigger. I kept the "toy" gun, and used it in training classes for years. I believe it's still in my gun safe or my Instructors briefcase. True Story.
Now please explain to me how I was wrong, how I should have been fired and my badge melted down, etc. I was dispatched to a citizen calling in a man with a gun threatening children. That's all the citizen knew, the dispatcher or I
knew. It appeared to be a real gun and a full grown man. Hope you never have to face that situation.

this is a sad story all around. You hear about toy guns getting mistaken for real ones and i think maybe laws should be passes that ban toy makers from making such real looking toys. We all know that boys love there guns, and little boys love thier toy guns. Kids will not stop playing with them, so we should make the toys look more like toys. I'm sure the officer is ashamed at what happened but he thought he was going to get shot. We can learn from this and thankfully noone died:fie:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back