Boy Breaks Into Zoo, Feeds Animals To Croc

HK4U

I am posting this to bring up one question. What kid of parent does not know were a 7 year old kid is so that he has the time and opportunity to do something like this. Real good job of parenting.

Link Removed

Boy Breaks Into Zoo, Feeds Animals To Croc
Aussie Boy, 7, Went On 30-Minute Killing Spree

POSTED: 5:01 am CDT October 3, 2008

SYDNEY, Australia -- Zoo officials in Australia are planning to sue the parents of a 7-year-old boy who broke into a popular Outback zoo and fed animals to a giant crocodile.

Zoo director Rex Neindorf said the boy jumped a security fence, then went on a 30-minute killing spree, bashing several lizards to death with a rock and feeding them to a 440-pound saltwater crocodile. The boy also threw several live animals over the fences surrounding the crocodile's enclosure.

Neindorf said on the zoo's security camera, the boy's face remains largely blank, "like he was playing a game."

The 13 animals killed are worth more than $5,000. Police said they're unable to press charges because of the boy's age.

Police said they're unable to press charges because of the boy's age.

I think they should be pressing charges on the parents! I can't imagine what would have happened to me if I would have pulled something like this when I was 7!

That kid is going to be a real winner when he "grows up". Probably save us poor taxpayers a lot of money in the future if they put him in with the 440-pound saltwater crocodile.

People cry, "he is just a baby yet". Well, if you want to act like an adult, then you should be punished like an adult.

That is what is wrong with America today. TWO words sum up what is wrong with America today.

NO PUNISHMENT

That is why people do all the weird crap they do, they KNOW: there will be NO PUNISHMENT to them.

Five thousand dollars? The kid is a criminal. It doesn't matter his age. No one listens, they listen to those over there on the FAR left... i.e. don't hurt the poor man/woman/kid, they "really" didn't mean to kill that old lady after they tortured her, right? And give all those people places to live so they can breed like rabbits while us poor taxpayers pay for it.

Ah, I guess I am not being Politically Correct today.

I think they should be pressing charges on the parents! I can't imagine what would have happened to me if I would have pulled something like this when I was 7!

That's the deal, it COULDN'T happen with us, we weren't raised that way. Learned at a very young age the difference between right and wrong.

Life has guardrails. All we have to do is stay between them. Sometimes they are far apart, other times closer together. Some people seem to like to drag one leg on the otherside of the guardrail all the time...then they wonder why the cops are always knocking on their door. Or get both legs on the outside, then off to jail/prison they go. They just don't learn. My 37 year old boy is that way. He just can't seem to figure it out.

How come most of us in older generations could figure it out? Ooops, I'm still young, in 10 more days will hit the big 61. :)

Unable to press charges because of his age? How about pressing charges against his parents, starting with negligence?

Here's more on this story: Link Removed

SYDNEY, Australia — A blank-faced 7-year-old boy broke into a popular Outback zoo, fed a string of animals to the resident crocodile and bashed several lizards to death with a rock, the zoo's director said Friday.

The boy jumped a security fence at the Alice Springs Reptile Center in central Australia early Wednesday, then went on a 30-minute killing spree, using a rock to slay three lizards, including the zoo's beloved, 20-year-old goanna, which he then fed to "Terry," an 11-foot, 440-pound vsaltwater crocodile, said zoo director Rex Neindorf.

The boy, whose deadly acts were caught on the zoo's security camera, also threw several live animals to Terry over the two fences surrounding the crocodile's enclosure, at one point climbing over the outer fence to get closer to the giant reptile. In the footage, the boy's face remains largely blank, Neindorf said.

"It was like he was playing a game," he said.

He killed 13 animals worth around $5,500, including a turtle, bearded dragons and thorny devil lizards, Neindorf said. Although none were rare, some would be difficult to replace, he said.

"We're horrified that anyone can do this, and saddened by the age of the child," Neindorf said.

Alice Springs police said they identified the boy, who lives locally, but were unable to press charges because of his age. Children under age 10 are not criminally liable under the law in the Northern Territory.

"By all accounts, he's quite a nasty 7-year-old," said Neindorf, who plans to sue the boy's parents. "If we can't put the blame onto the child, then someone has to accept the responsibility."

The zoo's security system, which relies on sensors, probably did not detect the boy because he is so small, Neindorf said.

So even though it could have happened in the US, it didn't, and they are planning on making the parents liable.

The parents deserve whatever they get in this one--definitely negligent. Most kids with responsible parenting make better decisions at 7 yrs old (assuming no mental illness in the child), or simply are not left alone long enough to cause this much havoc.

Here's more on this story: Link Removed

SYDNEY, Australia — A blank-faced 7-year-old boy broke into a popular Outback zoo, fed a string of animals to the resident crocodile and bashed several lizards to death with a rock, the zoo's director said Friday.

The boy jumped a security fence at the Alice Springs Reptile Center in central Australia early Wednesday, then went on a 30-minute killing spree, using a rock to slay three lizards, including the zoo's beloved, 20-year-old goanna, which he then fed to "Terry," an 11-foot, 440-pound vsaltwater crocodile, said zoo director Rex Neindorf.

The boy, whose deadly acts were caught on the zoo's security camera, also threw several live animals to Terry over the two fences surrounding the crocodile's enclosure, at one point climbing over the outer fence to get closer to the giant reptile. In the footage, the boy's face remains largely blank, Neindorf said.

"It was like he was playing a game," he said.

He killed 13 animals worth around $5,500, including a turtle, bearded dragons and thorny devil lizards, Neindorf said. Although none were rare, some would be difficult to replace, he said.

"We're horrified that anyone can do this, and saddened by the age of the child," Neindorf said.

Alice Springs police said they identified the boy, who lives locally, but were unable to press charges because of his age. Children under age 10 are not criminally liable under the law in the Northern Territory.

"By all accounts, he's quite a nasty 7-year-old," said Neindorf, who plans to sue the boy's parents. "If we can't put the blame onto the child, then someone has to accept the responsibility."

The zoo's security system, which relies on sensors, probably did not detect the boy because he is so small, Neindorf said.

So even though it could have happened in the US, it didn't, and they are planning on making the parents liable.

The parents deserve whatever they get in this one--definitely negligent. Most kids with responsible parenting make better decisions at 7 yrs old (assuming no mental illness in the child), or simply are not left alone long enough to cause this much havoc.

You are so right, Mom. Your three angels wouldn't do anything like this because you're a responsible parent, aren't you? It's too bad there aren't more parents out there like that.

Must be something about seeing one animal consume another. My 4 year old likes feeding live tilapia to the night herrons. I take him fishing and he insits on leaving the tilapia in an accessible place and gets a huge kick out of watching the herron swallow the live fish.

I keep a close eye on him when we go to the zoo. So far, so good. He knows that we have to get the "feeder fish" from an appropriate source and only feed animals that aren't on a special diet (like the ones at the zoo) :wink:

gf

You are so right, Mom. Your three angels wouldn't do anything like this because you're a responsible parent, aren't you? It's too bad there aren't more parents out there like that.

Thanks, I try. Every kid is different--I definitely know which of mine I need to keep a closer eye on. But honestly, I can't see any of my kids doing something like this . . . although they do like catching grasshoppers and feeding them to our dog, but that has been okayed through mom and dad--the fewer grasshoppers around the better . . .

I can see this from two perspectives. On one hand, everyone knows some kids this age and naturally thinks they'd never do something like that. They seem nice and playful, constantly doing funny things and so forth.

On the other...we're looking at this from the perspective of adults. Do you remember actually being 7 years old? At that age, a lot of kids are still naturally quite destructive and curious, especially when no adults are around. Just to keep things in perspective, think about the kind of brutally honest things that kids say in public, without realizing the social implications of delivering blunt insults.

Now, maybe this kid is a future serial killer, I don't know. But I'm thinking that if the rare 20-year old lizard had been a random yard lizard and the crocodile had been a cat or a dog, this wouldn't be such a big deal. What kid, or adult for that matter, hasn't rooted for their household pet chasing down a terrified and mortally wounded snake, rat, bug, moth, etc?

Frankly, kids cans be really mean, without knowing the context of their actions. This child may well grow up to be a completely normal person, and later be horrified at what he himself remembers doing.

Ok, but I ask again, where were his parents? I don't so much give a damn about the lizard as much as I do about the fact that the kid was running around unsupervised.

Ok, but I ask again, where were his parents? I don't so much give a damn about the lizard as much as I do about the fact that the kid was running around unsupervised.
Two possibilities:

1. The parents are idiots and didn't give a care in the world to the welfare or actions of their child.
  2. The parents were slightly distracted for 5 seconds, at which point the kid had already disappeared.

I took a 5-year old to the zoo last year (I don't have any kids). That kid could really hustle and disappear in a split second, so one of us had to hold his hand almost the entire time. I'm glad he didn't get away and do anything crazy. Then again, people who have been parents for seven years should be able to keep up their kid. It's not like they're inexperienced.

Two possibilities:

1. The parents are idiots and didn't give a care in the world to the welfare or actions of their child.
  2. The parents were slightly distracted for 5 seconds, at which point the kid had already disappeared.

I took a 5-year old to the zoo last year (I don't have any kids). That kid could really hustle and disappear in a split second, so one of us had to hold his hand almost the entire time. I'm glad he didn't get away and do anything crazy. Then again, people who have been parents for seven years should be able to keep up their kid. It's not like they're inexperienced.

I think most likely #1. From the sound of the article this was something that would require the kid being by himself more that a few seconds. That is why I said how can a kid that young get the time alone with out adult supervision to do this?

Two possibilities:

True, some kids are real fast at disappearing--I have one of those--feels like I spend half my life asking where my kid is. I dress him in bright colored shirts when going where there will be a crowd so he'll be easier to find when he wanders off as I know it will happen, and I constantly do headcounts when we're out--actually didn't notice doing it until I went somewhere and didn't take them all and kept panicing when they weren't all with me. Like you said, they've been his parent for 7 years, they should know a little about how to keep up with him. And yes, kids do crazy irresponsible things at that age--I probably did, I just don't remember doing them, and I know my kids have (but not to this extreme). That is why they are given parents--to supervise and direct them for good.
I don't know over what period of time this incident occurred, whether the zoo was opened (if so why did nobody notice?) or closed at the time, if his parents were nearby when it happened or if they live near there and he wandered over to the zoo. The part of the article about security cameras not catching him and the fact that he was able to get into that many cages led me to believe the zoo was not even open when he was there, but I may be mistaken. Just seems he was gone from supervision for an extended amount of time to be able to pull this off. If you notice your kid gone after your moment of distraction, the responsible thing to do would be go look for him--and again, maybe they did, the article doesn't say, but I know from experience the longer it takes you to notice or care that they're gone, the further they can go in that time.

I don't know either...I'd just say to hold off on pointing fingers until all the facts are in. He may have been supervised by people who weren't even his parents at the time.

Don't know about anyone else but when my kids were that age they never were alone long enough to run amuk like that.

I don't know either...I'd just say to hold off on pointing fingers until all the facts are in. He may have been supervised by people who weren't even his parents at the time.

Very valid point. We don't have all the facts, so it's possible he snuck away from grandma or a babysitter.

The fact is, we don't know what is the cause of the kid's disappearance. What we do know, however, is that a child went missing long enough to feed lizard parts to a crocodile. His parents had to have been distracted for more than just a few seconds for that to happen.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back