Bowden Reluctant To Ban Guns At FSU

KimberPB

Nice to see him stand up and not punish all for the act of one.

Link Removed

TARPON SPRINGS - Despite the recent arrest of star receiver Preston Parker, Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden doesn't sound ready to institute a gun ban for the players in his program.

"I hate to say this, but if you are in certain neighborhoods, you better have a gun," Bowden told reporters after a round of golf Friday morning at Crescent Oaks Country Club, the latest stop on his statewide booster-club tour. "You have to protect yourself and your family. I really hate to say that, but it's the way things have gotten."

Earlier this week, Parker was formerly charged by the Palm Beach County State Attorney's office for carrying a concealed firearm, which is a felony. According to the FSU athletics code of conduct, Parker cannot participate in games until the matter is resolved, or the charges are reduced to a misdemeanor.

Last year, the University of Miami banned players from having guns. Bowden seemed reluctant to do the same, sensing it would be hypocritical of him.

"I've got one, too," he said.

Bowden also noted the offseason is the time coaches are concerned about players having potential brushes with the law.

"This is the time of the year you worry when players go home and get together with their buddies," Bowden said

Is the ban actually on players owning a gun? As in, a player cannot have a gun registered in their name at all? That's insane.

Common sense

Nice to see him stand up and not punish all for the act of one.

Link Removed

TARPON SPRINGS - Despite the recent arrest of star receiver Preston Parker, Florida State football coach Bobby Bowden doesn't sound ready to institute a gun ban for the players in his program.

"I hate to say this, but if you are in certain neighborhoods, you better have a gun," Bowden told reporters after a round of golf Friday morning at Crescent Oaks Country Club, the latest stop on his statewide booster-club tour. "You have to protect yourself and your family. I really hate to say that, but it's the way things have gotten."

Earlier this week, Parker was formerly charged by the Palm Beach County State Attorney's office for carrying a concealed firearm, which is a felony. According to the FSU athletics code of conduct, Parker cannot participate in games until the matter is resolved, or the charges are reduced to a misdemeanor.

Last year, the University of Miami banned players from having guns. Bowden seemed reluctant to do the same, sensing it would be hypocritical of him.

"I've got one, too," he said.

Bowden also noted the offseason is the time coaches are concerned about players having potential brushes with the law.

"This is the time of the year you worry when players go home and get together with their buddies," Bowden said

Nice to see someone with some common sense for a change.

I do not know the story behind Preston Parker and his gun, therefore I am not necessarily supporting him, but I am glad to see Bowden standing up for his players 2A rights.

who decided that carrying a concealed weapon was a felony anyway? don't remember anywhere in the constitution stating that.

Is the ban actually on players owning a gun? As in, a player cannot have a gun registered in their name at all? That's insane.

Why would the gun have to be registered before it is considered acceptable? Many states have no 'registration' requirement.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back