Book: Traveler's Guide to the Firearm Laws of the Fifty States

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
I received Link Removed today. I ordering since I was going to be traveling from Nevada to Florida soon. I think it's a really well structures book.

The beginning there's a How to read this guide and then it covers some definitions of things like reciprocity and recognition, shall issue vs may issue, etc.

Then there is a page for each state. It rates the state on prohibition vs freedom on a 100 point scale at the top. Next is a Traveler's Checklist that covers Firearms Ownership, Concealed Carry, Vehicle Carry, etc. Basically a quick view list of the state's laws. The rest of the page consist of a few paragraphs about the state and it's gun laws. It goes over the items in the checklist in more detail.

Near the back of the book there is a section on traveling to Canada and Mexico, State Agency contacts, and state Reciprocity & Recognition lists.

I have to say I am pretty glad I have it. I plotted my course from Las Vegas to New Orleans and then to Tampa. I was able to pop to the state's page and see where I could carry loaded in the car, concealed, etc. From Las Vegas I'll have to unload and pack the trunk as I go through California. After that I should be fine all the way to New Orleans to carry loaded up front with me. I don't carry concealed in the car, I have it in a holster between my seat and console. From New Orleans I am ok n Miss, unload and to the trunk in Alabama, and then in the glove box or I have to get a holster with a snap to carry in plain view? Anyway, This book will definitely stay in my car as it is a great quick reference. If laws get updated I'll just print them out and add them.

Link Removed

From Las Vegas I'll have to unload and pack the trunk as I go through California.

Make sure it is in a locked container in your trunk.

12026.1. (a) Section 12025 shall not be construed to prohibit any
citizen of the United States over the age of 18 years who resides or
is temporarily within this state, and who is not within the excepted
classes prescribed by Section 12021 or 12021.1 of this code or
Section 8100 or 8103 of the Welfare and Institutions Code, from
transporting or carrying any pistol, revolver, or other firearm
capable of being concealed upon the person, provided that the
following applies to the firearm:

(1) The firearm is within a motor vehicle and it is locked in the
vehicle's trunk or in a locked container in the vehicle other than
the utility or glove compartment.

(2) The firearm is carried by the person directly to or from any
motor vehicle for any lawful purpose and, while carrying the firearm,
the firearm is contained within a locked container.

(b) The provisions of this section do not prohibit or limit the
otherwise lawful carrying or transportation of any pistol, revolver,
or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person in
accordance with this chapter.
(c) As used in this section, "locked container" means a secure
container which is fully enclosed and locked by a padlock, key lock,
combination lock, or similar locking device.

I've always wondered if those kind of books would be worth it, but now I know. I will have to look into buying a copy in January. It seems like a great book to keep handy.

The 2008 Edition just arrive at our Pro Shop and you can purchase it on line at www.ofagear.com.

The photo of the book on the on-line Pro Shop may display last year's edition but we're completely sold out of them and the only one in inventory is the 2008 version - so don't let that discourage you from ordering.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back