Bond Arms derringer

col rhino

anybody have any experience w/owning one of these firearms? any good? thanks.

I have looked at them but in my opinion they are over priced for something that is two heavy and two limited in number of rounds to make a good carry gun. For the money I think there are better options out their but as I said that is just my opinions and that is one of two things we all have.

They are inaccurate, heavy, large and expensive. (just like my first wife) You can carry something else, (semi auto, or wheel gun) with more firepower in a smaller package.

Anything over .22 magnum will hurt your hand when fired.
However, they are a classic firearm, and are cool looking.
Check out American derringer also.
Stay away from the cheap ones.

anybody have any experience w/owning one of these firearms? any good? thanks.

I carry a derranger in a pocket holster in the summertime. It is strictly for close range but I have shot it a good deal at targets. Mine is a 9mm and after a few rounds there is a red spot in the palm of my hand. It is better than not carrying at all and 2 well placed shots should do the trick within 10 feet or so. I also carry it when I go fishing with rat shot in it for snakes. I agree the bond is way too expensive.

Leaving aside the previous replies, which are all correct, if you really want a derringer, Bond is the one to get. It is IMO the only one worth getting--others are cheaper and that is what you get--cheaper. It is heavy--as heavy as a lightweight 38, but it is small--that cannot be denied. It is also a "load" when trying to fire it, particularly if you opt for bigger calibre.The Bond also has a few barrel changes you can buy so you can effectively have the derringer in 45/410, or other mixes of calibers. If you are buying because it is a derringer--this is the one. If you are buying for small defense, you are better off with "regular" firearms that are becoming smaller and lighter each day.

Agree with you Kelcarry; Bond is the derringer to get if one wants a derringer but for the same weight and money you could get a regular 32, 38, 380 or 9 these days. A Taurus 5-shot lightweight 38+P can be had for $300.

When my brother-in-law was carving my custom cocobolo grips for my Taurus 617 7-shot 2" stainless 357 Mag he loaned me his NAA 22 Mag 5-shot mini-revolver - I did not know I would enjoy the convenience of the little guy so much; drop it in the pocket, go get the mail.

I want Bond Arms to succeed but it seems like derringers are becoming specialty weapons, and for the average user, are inferior to the tiny 32s, 38s, 380s and 9s we can buy for about $300 these days.

thanks for all the replies, Gents; good points, all ... I have more than several handguns to choose from in my arsenal, I know there are better choices for more firepower, lighter weight, etc, yet I don't have a derringer- and I admit that maybe I was considering one just to add to my collection more than for the sheer practicality of the choice....

Then you should absolutely most definitely get one. Which caliber are you looking at; they come in a lot of calibers?

there's one in my local gunshop that's a .45LC/.410 in a 3 inch barrel version
If a Ruger Vaquro recoil feels stout with a 220g bullet, i wonder what that same long colt will do to your hand fired from a derringer? Down size to 45 shofield and 2 3/4 .410 with #7 bird shot will keep the orthopedic surgeon away.

I could see this as a last hope belly gun.:drag:

I bought my wife a derringer just to have one in her collection, she keeps it where it belongs - in the jewelry box.

A snubbie revolver is a better choice.

Fuzzy likes the wife's derringer, it's about the right size for him:

Link Removed

Link Removed

Boston T. Party told me that a derringer is something you'd lend to someone without a gun, sort of like the bad ties they lend you in a nice restaurant.

Derringers are hard to cock, hard to shoot, inaccurate, and underpowered (no matter what caliber).

I guess a derringer would be better than no gun, but I'd take an good .22 LR mouse gun over a derringer. But would MUCH rather carry a snubbie .357 or a Ruger LCP semi-auto .380.

MWD

True enough, but he said he doesn't want it for the self defense aspect of it, he wants it because its cool - he has self defense weapons. Any excuse to buy a new firearm is a good one, its like buying power tools or fishing lures :) I was at Bass Pro the other day buying a quail hunting outfit and the salesman said, "You know, there's nothing in this store that you really need." With that I had to respectfully disagree!

Hey Dr. Dave: Your comments are right on. There is no really logical reason for needing a house full of guns just like there is no logical reason for needing those extra fishing rods, cameras, power tools etc etc. Somewhere the logic of self defense mixes with hobby/collecting just like it does with fishing and photography. If you can and you want and it is legal have at it. Two years ago I had never in my 68 years ever even touched a firearm. I then decided to purchase a 38 for home defense based on a look at Washington DC and the idiocy emanating from there. Two years later, I have my 38, (2) 22 pistols, a shotgun, and a 380 pocket gun--did I need them all?---probably not. Did I want them all?--yup

Thanks, Kel. i am reminded of a letter to the editor of Automobile magazine several years ago. The guy wrote, "Why do we need Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Porsches that can go 150mph? That's crazy! Everyone knows that speed kills! It's insane!".

The editor's reply was priceless: "You sad little man - Ed".

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back