Body Size Affecting Concealment?

BigRossation

I am a fairly large man (6'-2" and 325 pounds) and have recently received my permit to carry. I have a Fobus roto-tilt paddle holster and and I am trying to carry my XD 45 Compact strong side between my right hip and my butt cheek. I am not sure if it is just my newness causing me to be "too aware" of my gun profiling under my jacket, but I haven't found a place that seems to hide the gun as nicely as I would like. I have tried from directly over my right hip all the way to SOB and modified the tilt of the holster in each position.

If there are other, larger-framed men out there who have been able to deal with concealment successfully, I would love to hear what you are doing.

Thanks!

I am no small man, 6' 0 250 lbs. I use an OWB leather holster strong side at about 4:00, from Link Removed. They ride a little higher than most, structured so they hold tight to my body, and have a fairly short draw (can get it out of the holster quicker). I tried a couple others before finding one that worked well. I don't use a thumb break, as it just adds bulk and my firearm is well secured in the holster (all their holsters are custom built to the gun, but are no more expensive than others). If you are new to CC, as I was, you can be a little self conscious initially. I thought that it was fairly evident I was carrying. To my surprise, most co-workers still don't realize it. Hope this helps.

Welcome to USACarry first off.

You've got 100 pounds on me, but we're the same height. Being from MN, you have the weather in winter that should afford you to conceal just about anything anywhere. (Not to rub it in, but today it was in the 70's again and I was out on my bike!):dance3:

I personally carry strong-side right at 3 o'clock, or sometimes just ahead of my hip. (P229 or 1911) I get real paranoid if my gun is too far behind my hip where a simple elbow drop can't cover it. Just my personal phobia when it comes to weapon retention. Though I KNOW my gun isn't visible to the casual observer, I don't want to get careless, so I try to assume it IS visible and behave with positioning and movement accordingly.

I also choose to not use a thumb break, and my leather pancake holster rides high enough that waist-length jackets keep it well covered, and it's readily available for quick access. I've starched the &%$# out if it to help it maintain it's molded shape, which aids in reholstering without looking down and fumbling around too. If it ever does get cold, I'll carry with my Blackhawk Serpa, which rides a bit lower but includes the retention device. I'm seriously looking at an IWB option for my 1911 GSR though.

Last edited:
I like the Fobus, but.....

(Not to rub it in, but today it was in the 70's again and I was out on my bike!):dance3:

Oh, you cheeky bastard! :biggrin: Go ahead and gloat. It is snowing here right now. :cray:

Welcome, BigRoss!

I am also a husky, big-boned type. (Okay, I'm fat) I actually tried a Fobus RotoTilt that my buddy had, and I found that the holster really seems to stick out. Nice fit for the range or open carry (although for open I like something with active retention) but difficult to conceal. Unfortunately, for those of us with Donelap's Disesase (where our belly has "done lapped" over our belt) our conceal options are fewer. I have found that a nice, form fitting leather IWB (In Waist Band) is the most concealable. Unfortunately, you will probably have to buy some new pants that are one size larger than normal, but I would try with your current pants first.

When carrying OWB (Over Waist Band) concealed I usually like as minimal a holster as is practical, Like a speed scabbard. This is what I like:

Link Removed

However, when it comes to IWB, I really have three things that I look for; ability to conform to user (leather or other hide), ability to use with shirt tucked or untucked (no reason to buy two holsters for the same basic job), and most importantly a shield between my body and the gun. This is very important for us big fellas. It results in a much more comfortable carry, and protects the firearm from our corrosive sweat. This will be my next purchase:

Link Removed

When I carry IWB I usually carry strong side, 4 or 5 o'clock.

Good luck, and happy carrying!

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/Home/Law-Enforcement/511-Undergear/Tops/Holster-Shirt/D/30100/P/1:100:10000:10800:10801/I/40011

BigRoss,
Welcome.

At 5'10", 250. I'm according to the Navy Obese, but they don't account for muscle, but all I have is Love handles. I deal with a 5.11 tactical Holstershirt (the link above, but I've found it cheaper though)and a IWB uncle mikes holster at about 5 o'clock. I just have a good belt to hold up the pants. As a larger build guy, I like the under the shoulder holster shirts personally, but I can't always do that, hence the IWB

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advice guys. I have decided most definitely for getting an IWB holster. I just need to find something within my budget (which isn't much).

I really like the idea of SOB carry. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice guys. I have decided most definitely for getting an IWB holster. I just need to find something within my budget (which isn't much).

I really like the idea of SOB carry. Any thoughts?

With icy or wet conditions, you risk falling down and landing with pistol between hard surface and hip/spine. Not a good combination.

My CC Instructor mentioned that falling on your back with SOB carry can mess you up bad. He is a Fugitive Recovery Agent and carries SOB and is very conscious about getting into a tussle and ending up flat on his back. Maybe warm weather carry would be okay.

When I'm out and about (in CC legal territory), I carry SOB, IWB and ankle (three's a charm :wink:) while working bail enforcement, close protection or investigative assignments. While on "leisure time" (again in CC legal territory), I minus the ankle holster. I often do a lot of driving (the run between Las Vegas, NV and Phoenix, AZ comes to mind), the SOB doesn't seem to bother me as much as it does others. I've found that adjusting the seat position and lumbar support tend to help.

In past encounters, I have landed on my back. Learning how to fall properly and practicing the techniques saved me from messing up my spine. As how we protect our primary firearm with our strong hand, when falling, I use my support hand to break my fall if I'm unable to "tuck and roll". Key thing to remember is that you need to plan for various things that can happen and then train appropriately.

My suggestion is to find a carry method(s) that works for you, then figure out what may happen in the course of life and train accordingly.

gf

I agree with Wolfie and Jim.

For some reason that I can't remember, I really liked the idea of SOB carry, but in practice it was really uncomfortable. Plus, that sense of, I dunno, balance that I had been expecting was not there. Finally, I found that my draw time was terrible.

If you are really tight with the cash at the moment, you might try a cheap "Uncle Mike's" holster.

Link Removed

They are pretty decent and cheap as dirt ($10-$20). For your XD Compact I think you would need a size 27 if you go with Kydex (also pricier) or a size 16 in Nylon. Better yet, if you have some 2A friends around, borrow some of theirs to try. If they are like the rest of us, they have a box full that they don't even use.

I just ordered an Uncle Mike's nylon IWB size 15 from Midway (I'm not going SOB). I'll give it a go for $12.99. I've heard good things about it on another forum dedicated to XD fanatics like me.

Thanks for the help!

Whatever you do, be sure to get a quality holster that retains it's shape. This is critical to facilitate re-holstering. Also check for a quality clip that will actually stay on your belt. Nothing worse than drawing a holstered handgun. :eek:

If you were looklng for a holster for a Glock, I would have gladly sent you one from my "holster collection". :wink:

gf

Body size

Interesting to know that large guys have concerns about 'printing,' too. I am 5'5" tall and right now, I weigh 224, according to my last doctor's visit. I carry the XD-45 with the 4" barrel in a Blackhawk Serpa holster just aft of the seam in my pants. I have no concerns anymore about carrying, at least not like I did in the early 80s when I first began carrying concealed. I saw a detective with the San Diego PD who is about your size who wears an army field jacket. He carries a Desert Eagle in .50 AE in a shoulder holster. You'd never be able to spot him as carrying. I had a talk with him about concealment, and he recommended experimenting until I found a combination I was comfortable with. His advice has been my guide for a lot of years.

I'm not a fan of SOB carry since I already have spinal issues to begin with (minor scoliosis, not bad enough to warrant surgery or for non-medical professionals to notice but bad enough that back issues bother me more easily than most people). Many law enforcement agencies discourage or prohibit SOB carry or to have anything over the spine on their duty belt for OSHA and worker's comp reasons. I firmly believe in protecting one's spine.

If I'm carrying multiple, the combination of modes I may use are;
  • IWB
  • Concealed OWB (Safepacker)
  • Smartcarry (either one or two).
  • Single or dual shoulder if I'm wearing a coat or jacket
  • IWB at 10 or 11 for a small pocket .380 ACP for a left handed draw in a pop up holster.
Most I've done at one time was four just to see if I could do it.

BTW, GF, four of a kind beats three of a kind any day. :wink:

I tried ankle and I don't care for it since the barrel or the slide of the firearm tends to rest on the bone. I haven't tried the undershirt holsters. I suspect I will probably be trying that mode next.

If you're trained to take falls you could feasibly carry SOB. However, if that is your only mode of carry, you will be at a great disadvantage if you are in a seated position. If the chair you're seated in has a partial back, your firearm could feasibly get caught in the chair.

I'm not a fan of SOB carry since I already have spinal issues to begin with (minor scoliosis, not bad enough to warrant surgery or for non-medical professionals to notice but bad enough that back issues bother me more easily than most people). Many law enforcement agencies discourage or prohibit SOB carry or to have anything over the spine on their duty belt for OSHA and worker's comp reasons. I firmly believe in protecting one's spine.

If I'm carrying multiple, the combination of modes I may use are;
  • IWB
  • Concealed OWB (Safepacker)
  • Smartcarry (either one or two).
  • Single or dual shoulder if I'm wearing a coat or jacket
  • IWB at 10 or 11 for a small pocket .380 ACP for a left handed draw in a pop up holster.
Most I've done at one time was four just to see if I could do it.

BTW, GF, four of a kind beats three of a kind any day. :wink:

I tried ankle and I don't care for it since the barrel or the slide of the firearm tends to rest on the bone. I haven't tried the undershirt holsters. I suspect I will probably be trying that mode next.

If you're trained to take falls you could feasibly carry SOB. However, if that is your only mode of carry, you will be at a great disadvantage if you are in a seated position. If the chair you're seated in has a partial back, your firearm could feasibly get caught in the chair.

Personnally, I prefer the Undershirts. If I had the money, it's all I would use (but they are pricey)

I want to try the undershirts. I'm new to CC but have OC'd for years in NH and VT when I lived up there. I always carried either a S&W 41 Magnum or a Taurus PT92 on a OWB holster. I'm a larger frame guy also. IWB just is not comfortable for me. The only methods that I found comfortable were OWB or shoulder. I haven't tried ankle of undershirt. I suspect the undershirts will be one of my favorite spots for a BUG, but I think I want my primary on a OWB. I can wear an OWB and an un-tucked T-shirt pretty much covers it up. We can open carry here, so if the shirt rides up and uncovers it, it's not a big deal.

Oh, you cheeky bastard! :biggrin: Go ahead and gloat. It is snowing here right now. :cray:

Welcome, BigRoss!

I am also a husky, big-boned type. (Okay, I'm fat) I actually tried a Fobus RotoTilt that my buddy had, and I found that the holster really seems to stick out. Nice fit for the range or open carry (although for open I like something with active retention) but difficult to conceal. Unfortunately, for those of us with Donelap's Disesase (where our belly has "done lapped" over our belt) our conceal options are fewer. I have found that a nice, form fitting leather IWB (In Waist Band) is the most concealable. Unfortunately, you will probably have to buy some new pants that are one size larger than normal, but I would try with your current pants first.

When carrying OWB (Over Waist Band) concealed I usually like as minimal a holster as is practical, Like a speed scabbard. This is what I like:

Link Removed

However, when it comes to IWB, I really have three things that I look for; ability to conform to user (leather or other hide), ability to use with shirt tucked or untucked (no reason to buy two holsters for the same basic job), and most importantly a shield between my body and the gun. This is very important for us big fellas. It results in a much more comfortable carry, and protects the firearm from our corrosive sweat. This will be my next purchase:

Link Removed

When I carry IWB I usually carry strong side, 4 or 5 o'clock.

Good luck, and happy carrying!

Good Advice. I buy jeans one size large and carry IWB at 4oclock. Colt Defender and Mitch Rosen Uncle Sal's Decision. works well.

BTW, I went to Grad school at Southern Conn. and trained/worked at Bridgeport Hospital. I really miss the great food in Conn. The italian food in Conn. is awesome. I work with a doc who trained in Conn. He went back for a conference and told me he was standing at the front door of some pizza place in New Haven at 1030am waiting for them to open. The stuff is addictive. !!

at 6; and 260 I use a IWB kudex made by DeSantis holsters, its comfy and stays open when weapon drawn,
chec it out,,,,,,,,,,,, the Scorpan IWB, at DesnatisLeatherGoods.com good luck..............

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back