Blue..am I

B

boyzoi

thinking of doing a little bluing on a pistol. Does anyone have any experience with the DIY kits? are they affective, ease of use, cost??:help:

thinking of doing a little bluing on a pistol. Does anyone have any experience with the DIY kits? are they affective, ease of use, cost??:help:

Yep I've touched up several rifles and pistols using the touch up cold bluing. Here is the process I've used that seems to work well.

First of all use gloves to keep your hand oils off the gun.
Then I use the cleaner/degreaser to make sure the part is completely clean of all oils, dirt, ect.
Rinse the part in cold water and dry completely
Then I heat the piece with a hair dryer on the hot setting. This seems to help you get a deeper more even coat.
Then use a cotton ball or cleaning patch and whip on the bluing agent.
After that wipe any excess off with a clean patch to even out the coat.
Then rinse again in cold water and dry completely.
I then put a thin coat of gun oil over the entire piece.

You can also LIGHTLY buff with a very fine steel wool if you need to even out any spots.

This process has work very well for me on several pieces. Hope it helps and if you have any questions feel free to IM me.

Thanks Kimber.......
are there any all inclusive kits youve used, or are you just buying a seperate bottle blueing etc?

I've had good luck with Birchwood Casey products. I bought a bottle of the bluing and a bottle of the degreaser but I have seen kits that come with everything.

Link Removed

Must gun shops and I think I've even seen it at Walmart

I have had amazing luck with BlueWonder.. its seriously good stuff and wears like hot blue.

Same procedures as Kimber descried.. but the stuff blends perfect and does not wear off anywhere near as easy.

I have had amazing luck with BlueWonder.. its seriously good stuff and wears like hot blue.

Same procedures as Kimber descried.. but the stuff blends perfect and does not wear off anywhere near as easy.

Never tried that stuff. I'll have to pick up a bottle and try it out. Thanks Iridium

Checked wiht a local smith, he of course wanted me to bring the gun in for him to do, but if I just had to do it myself :wink: then he suggested the Blue Wonder.
Think I'm going to give that a shot ( no pun ):biggrin: and see how it goes.

Checked wiht a local smith, he of course wanted me to bring the gun in for him to do, but if I just had to do it myself :wink: then he suggested the Blue Wonder.
Think I'm going to give that a shot ( no pun ):biggrin: and see how it goes.

Post up some pics after you get it finished up.

Blue.. am I

Kimber, beautiful job on the Dan Wesson. I have had three of them, but they were all electroless nickel, but the blue looks good, too.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back