Blackhawk Serpa

NCIC105

I picked up a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster the other day for my Glock 27....Wow what a great holster. It does a good job on concealing the weapon and locks the weapon in so no need for safety strap..Fit is unreal! The unit came with a belt mount or paddle mount.. Great holster at a great price.:biggrin:

Make sure you practice with it. That lock can bite you in the backside if you forget technique when drawing.

I have 3 of them and find they work quite well, especially when carrying a full size firearm..

I had a similar holster when working (before I retired LEO) and you are correct... Nothing like practice to get use to the equipment and weapon.. Thinking about ordering one for my 45...

I had a similar holster when working (before I retired LEO) and you are correct... Nothing like practice to get use to the equipment and weapon.. Thinking about ordering one for my 45...

In the cool to cold months I choose them for the full size guns. I prefer the paddle on mine as it keeps 'em close fitting and secure. I like the locking feature on them. It teaches the finger position discipline when drawing.. Miss that step and you get a wedgie as a reminder..

Lately the SERPAs have been criticized for causing NDs but I am not really buying into it. It mostly happened during matches and that means people where drawing in a flying hurry trying to shave of seconds...

Of all my holsters, the Serpa Blackhawk is my favorite. It is comfortable, secure, and I love the draw. Like any holster it needs to be practiced with, but I love how the design forces the finger to the slide and not the trigger.

Serpa

Lately the SERPAs have been criticized for causing NDs but I am not really buying into it. It mostly happened during matches and that means people where drawing in a flying hurry trying to shave of seconds...

Something that surely will never happen under the panic induced stress of an imminent deadly threat.

Many Big Name Instructors such as Farnum, Vickers, Suarez and Yeager have banned the Serpa. I wonder why? The Serpa in my opinion is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that is susceptible to debris disabling the locking mechanism and promotes Negligent Discharges resulting in injury when used under stress. I will not allow it's use in any class I teach.

http://www.wilsontacticaltraining.com/?p=326
Again, on a static range this holster seems like a good design. Under the tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving conditions of a force on force encounter this holster is a disaster.

Something that surely will never happen under the panic induced stress of an imminent deadly threat.

Many Big Name Instructors such as Farnum, Vickers, Suarez and Yeager have banned the Serpa. I wonder why? The Serpa in my opinion is a poorly designed but brilliantly marketed holster that is susceptible to debris disabling the locking mechanism and promotes Negligent Discharges resulting in injury when used under stress. I will not allow it's use in any class I teach.

Blackhawk Serpa Holster - Wilson Tactical Training, LLC.
Again, on a static range this holster seems like a good design. Under the tense, uncertain, and rapidly evolving conditions of a force on force encounter this holster is a disaster.

That's your call for your courses, of course. But is there any solid evidence as to whether or not the holster itself is an issue, statistics, numbers, etc.?

Blackhawk Serpa Holster - Wilson Tactical Training, LLC.

I will disagree with your comments on the SERPA. It is a well designed holster. The holster doesn't promote ND's. Most ND's are related to improper trigger control, and placement of the finger on the trigger before bringing the gun up to the proper shooting position. Now i am not saying that it doesn't happen, but to blame the holster for it is not the right answer. You can have ND's with any type of holster if you don't have proper trigger control. I have been an instructor for a few years now, and i have never seen a single ND in any class I teach with student's that have the SERPA holster. Has there been an ND in a class i have taught, yes. But that one wasn't due to the SERPA thigh holster he was using. It was gun related, broken firing pin, after 750+ rounds being fired in a 4 day Defensive handgun course. Local PD duty weapon.

Now as for getting debris into the lock mechanism, yes that has happened to some. I have been using them for the last 10 years, in many areas of the world, Afghanistan, Kuwait, middle of winter in Vermont skiing, everyday carry year round, rain, sleet, snow, rolling around doing self defense classes. I can tell you that I have never had a problem. Just do the proper maintenance to them and you won't have any issue's.

As for outright banning them in your classes, that is up to you. I just think that some blame the equipment and not the operator for improper wet wear to hard wear interface.

You had me worried there so checked my Blackhawk CQC for my XD9sc and the push button does not even come close to the trigger.
When I press down on the button it rides the frame above the trigger.

I love my Blackhawk Serpa, when I draw it has my finger ready to place on the rail above the trigger. The only thing I do not like is that it prints the gun a little to much, my Crossbreed super tuck conceals better

I love my Blackhawk.
So far, I have only been using it for Defensive Pistol League that I was on. I haven't used it yet for carrying.

I'm a big fan of my Serpa CQC for my Glock 19. Holds my pistol nice and secure. Even if i do the little maneuver that theoretically is supposed to put my finger instantly into the triggerguard and make me pull the trigger, my finger ends up on the rail above the trigger. Not sure if that's the design of my Serpa, or that the tip of my pointer finger actually bends a bit upward, but I find the Serpa is really solid gear.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back