Biometric Technology For Gun Safes

fdegree

Anyone have personal, long-term experience with biometric technology?

If heard good and bad about this, and I'm wondering how reliable it is for a gun safe when emergency access is required.

I lead a team of developers where I work. We have lately been working on voice biometric access restrictions to computer systems. In our initial research we looked at fingerprint based systems.

The biggest liability to them is how easily they can be defeated. You finger leaves enough oil behind to provide a copy of your print. Place a balloon with some 95° water on it, and it will frequently open.

I lead a team of developers where I work. We have lately been working on voice biometric access restrictions to computer systems. In our initial research we looked at fingerprint based systems.

The biggest liability to them is how easily they can be defeated. You finger leaves enough oil behind to provide a copy of your print. Place a balloon with some 95° water on it, and it will frequently open.

WOW!!! That's interesting.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the oil left behind from your last finger scan leaves an impression of your fingerprint. But, the scanner is also looking for warmth, so the 95 degree balloon provides the warmth for the scanner which will then grant access.

hhhmmm...

The only biometric devices I have experience with are laptops, and they have a system where you have to drag your finger across the (very narrow) scanner for it to read your fingerprint. There is no way to leave a residual print. However, I don't want someone cutting off my hand to get into my safe :)

It took 5 minutes to open a register at BurgerKing this morning so they could take my order. The keypad was locked by a biometric scanner. When the BG comes through your window, will you have 5 minutes to try, wipe, dry finger, re-try, repeat as needed?

Not me. I will empty the gun I carry and then when I have too I will open up my safe and get the big stuff out.

I have a Gunvault Multivault GVB2000. I have it bolted down to a very sturdy nightstand next to the bed. It is very quick to open and since i can put up to 30 authorized finger prints into it My wife and I can both open it quickly without a key. I got it much cheaper than what is listed online because my father owns a gun store and i got it at cost, but even at the price online i think it is a good investment. Its not great as a primary safe because of it size but works well to secure guns in the bed room.

WOW!!! That's interesting.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the oil left behind from your last finger scan leaves an impression of your fingerprint. But, the scanner is also looking for warmth, so the 95 degree balloon provides the warmth for the scanner which will then grant access.

hhhmmm...
Forensic analysis works off the skin oil as well. Your fingerprints can be lifted from a number of places, reproduced on a variety of mediums, and then used to imitate your presence. It's one of the easiest biometric areas to fake. If someone wears your prints over their fingers, they will be nearly indistinguishable from real fingerprints.

There's even an annual Link Removed.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back