Bill introduced in IN Senate.

minuteman32

I just got a phone call from Sen. Jeff Drozda informing me that he introduced a bill in the Senate to provide for transport of a gun to/from training. I realize that most folks here either have an LTC or a badge, but this does help out some folks that for whatever reason, don't have a license yet, or are from say IL & haven't gotten a non-res. permit from somewhere.

No bill # yet, but should have it next week, or so.

What is the current law right now. That you can only travel with a gun from where you bought it to your home?

What is the current law right now. That you can only travel with a gun from where you bought it to your home?

If you have an LTC, you can transport however you want. If not, locked in the trunk, ammo stored separately.

I would like to see Indiana pass a law treating one's vehicle just like their home; in other words, no license needed to have a loaded and readily accessible gun in the car.

Actually, its illegal to transport without a permit in Indiana. The law says you can transport from purchase point to home or fixed place of business. You're allowed to buy it and take it home. You are NOT allowed to transport it unloaded, locked, in pieces, in a welded superman safe or any of the above without a permit. If you can prove otherwise, I'd love to see it. But, the state law does not allow any transport of any sort without a permit to do so unless its fro mthe point of purchase to your home or moving from one residence to another.

But, like I said, I'd love to be proved wrong.

Actually, its illegal to transport without a permit in Indiana. The law says you can transport from purchase point to home or fixed place of business. You're allowed to buy it and take it home. You are NOT allowed to transport it unloaded, locked, in pieces, in a welded superman safe or any of the above without a permit. If you can prove otherwise, I'd love to see it. But, the state law does not allow any transport of any sort without a permit to do so unless its fro mthe point of purchase to your home or moving from one residence to another.

But, like I said, I'd love to be proved wrong.

I see that this is your first post on USA Carry. Welcome aboard!

Anyway, are you sure that there is no exception in Indiana law for moving or taking the gun to a gunsmith?

As for this new bill, to me this doesn't really do much. What would be nice would be for a bill that treats one's car like their home, with no permit being necessary.

Thanks for the welcome.

I thought I'd included the gunsmith, but it appears I didn't. Yes, I think a gunsmith is allowed too. But, shooting ranges that should be a valid reason to transport are not for some reason.

As for this bill, I think its great. My brother lives in NOLA and their cars are an extention of their house much like this bill. My brother open carries with no permit and transports it in his car.

But, I guess I should just be happy I don't live one state over.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back