Biggest Dog I've Ever seen!

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
We live in a rural area. Last night while I was taking out the garbage, I was startled by a really big critter on my property. I was carrying Israeli draw, (no round in the chamber) and as soon as I racked the slide on my USP 45 that dog made tracks. It was the biggest dog I've ever seen, It did not appear violent or diseased but from it's reaction I'm sure it has had an encounter with other landowners. Why can't folks just keep their animals on a leash (per the leash law)? I'm glad I didn't have to shoot it, but I'm also glad I was prepared.

One thing that people, including many who carry, lose sight of is the fact that in this dangerous world in which we live, people aren't the only dangers we face; we have to be prepared for any and everything. Fortunately, you were. I don't think I'll ever hear anyone who has ever been confronted by a pit bull, rottweiler, or doberman that they wish they had not been armed.

Long ago and very far away, I was bitten by a pit bull. It was tied up outside a business in So. Cal., and naive me walked up to it and offered the back of my hand. It's really stupid what some kids will do when they see a "doggie." I learned my lesson but good! Pit bulls are not my friends! To this day I'm leery of them: once bitten, twice shy sort of thing. I'm not one to begrudge anyone their dog, any type of dog, pits or others. I've had large dogs and imho it's all in the way they are raised and trained, not their breed. It's just a "me" thing only because of the one that bit me.

It's nice to know that in my rural area that we can shoot stray dogs if need be. I've seen many strays here, but none of them yet has been aggressive, thank goodness. Most are just regular pets that get loose, or some that their owners don't care to keep penned. (Why don't they keep them penned? I'll never understand! Maybe it's a freedom thing? Maybe it's just ignorance of the law? Maybe it's just lack of education?) If we're not threatened then we don't shoot them. Sometimes the coyotes or the big cats eat them like they eat the other small pets and small livestock. That said, we get some coyotes that come too close at times, those dogs can be scary and are sometimes shot by the town folk!

Stay safe out there!

We live in a rural area. Last night while I was taking out the garbage, I was startled by a really big critter on my property. I was carrying Israeli draw, (no round in the chamber) and as soon as I racked the slide on my USP 45 that dog made tracks. It was the biggest dog I've ever seen, It did not appear violent or diseased but from it's reaction I'm sure it has had an encounter with other landowners. Why can't folks just keep their animals on a leash (per the leash law)? I'm glad I didn't have to shoot it, but I'm also glad I was prepared.

Glad all worked out.

You've got to be ready for anything.....

Long ago and very far away, I was bitten by a pit bull. It was tied up outside a business in So. Cal., and naive me walked up to it and offered the back of my hand. It's really stupid what some kids will do when they see a "doggie." I learned my lesson but good! Pit bulls are not my friends! To this day I'm leery of them: once bitten, twice shy sort of thing. I'm not one to begrudge anyone their dog, any type of dog, pits or others. I've had large dogs and imho it's all in the way they are raised and trained, not their breed. It's just a "me" thing only because of the one that bit me.

It's nice to know that in my rural area that we can shoot stray dogs if need be. I've seen many strays here, but none of them yet has been aggressive, thank goodness. Most are just regular pets that get loose, or some that their owners don't care to keep penned. (Why don't they keep them penned? I'll never understand! Maybe it's a freedom thing? Maybe it's just ignorance of the law? Maybe it's just lack of education?) If we're not threatened then we don't shoot them. Sometimes the coyotes or the big cats eat them like they eat the other small pets and small livestock. That said, we get some coyotes that come too close at times, those dogs can be scary and are sometimes shot by the town folk!

Stay safe out there!

Funny, I have no problems with bigger breeds, but I've been bitten by 11 different chihuahuas. Guess what dog I'm more likely to shoot.

Funny, I have no problems with bigger breeds, but I've been bitten by 11 different chihuahuas. Guess what dog I'm more likely to shoot.

Tiny dogs can be bite too, so I definitely hear ya. I have a tiny Papillion who is 6 years or so, and tonight I picked up a 2 year old long-haired Chihuahua with a little Yorkie terrier thrown into the mix. She's so timid and velcro-ish we are going to call her Maggie, short for magnet. lol The Papi is hyper, the Chi is mellow. We'll see how long it takes them to work it out. But no biting allowed!

I had an occasion a couple years ago while out deer hunting on my aunt and uncles place. I heard barking coming up behind me as I was leveling a 35 Remington levergun to shoot a whitetail deer. Well the dogs put the spook on the deer, but I turn just in time to find two dogs barking and snarling. The smaller of the two turned and split, but the larger a shepard of about 90 pounds or more took a stance with ears back, and about the time it sprung I shot.

DRT

The owners were cited for having a vicious dog at large, unlicensed and no shot records ta boot. These people had been warned previously by many but they just did not care. To bad the dog was a beautiful tan black shepard, but dogs can be a product of their owners.

Shooting dogs can be dangerous work. Don't forget that the owner might not take too kindly to such an action. There are lots and lots of stories about dog shootings where the death of the dog was just the start of the gunplay.

Shooting dogs can be dangerous work. Don't forget that the owner might not take too kindly to such an action. There are lots and lots of stories about dog shootings where the death of the dog was just the start of the gunplay.
No doubt. I'm very defensive of my dog. She's a sweetheart and not dangerous, but were someone to harm her...I would be pissed. I could easily see someone responding to an attack on their dogs as if it were an attack on their family.

.....and the three legged dog walked into the saloon and said "I'm looking for the man who shot my paw!" :lol:

gf

Survey by the Post Office several years ago had Chihuahua as the top breed for biting mail carriers. Second was poodles.

Survey by the Post Office several years ago had Chihuahua as the top breed for biting mail carriers. Second was poodles.

Don't doubt this for a second. No big dog feels intimidated enough to bite. Only FiFi's and Muffin's

Intimidated little dogs?

Don't doubt this for a second. No big dog feels intimidated enough to bite. Only FiFi's and Muffin's

It could very well be, but I'm not going to agree 100%, that the reason for little dogs biting is that they are intimidated. Just as I think it is for the big dogs, I think it's all in their temperament and training. For some reason, some people I used to know in Southern Cali thought that it was cute when their tiny dogs acted aggressively. So, they did nothing to train it out of them. Go figure! My Papillion runs off the bigger dogs that wander onto our acreage. I think, at least in her case, it's a Napoleonic complex: my bitch just does not know that she is little! :biggrin: But she does not act that way toward humans. She better never do so!

Use Rat shot!

Use rat shot or snake shot cause those ain't dogs...they are vermin with good PR

seems like most dog owners will tell you, "oh, he/she wont bite--he wont hurt you" I've gotten bit in the leg by one of these ---"he/she wont bite" dogs-----

I have 2 Pitt bulls. They are excellent dogs, loyal, and will fight to the death for their owner if need be. It's a shame that a breed gets a bad rap because of a few scum bug owners. They can be animal aggressive as a whole and not people aggressive unless made that way. I know the family will be there when I get home.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back