Better than money

Gold and silver have no intrinsic value, the only value they have is what we agree that they have. I used to have a boss that would tell anyone who would listen to buy gold, he got extremely pissed when I asked him what are you going to do when all gold transactions are outlawed?

As others have said, I’m not about to trade off my ammunition or arm some one else so they can take my stuff. I limit my collection of firearms to common calibers and as much as possible I use pistols made by the same manufacturer that will take common magazines (Ex. CZ2075, 75B and PCR all take the same magazine) and pistol/rifle combinations that take the same ammunition (Ruger PC4/P94 same ammunition same magazine).

Tobacco, in 1889 I saw two GIs pay 32.00$ for a pack of Newports they could have bought at the PX for a buck after two weeks in the field. Tobacco, alcohol, chocolate all things that I can live without but I’d bet the idiots out there that are planning to sell their wives and daughters into slavery would pay through the nose for them.

Since we’re limiting the discussion to barter items I’ll say that I wouldn’t barter away anything that I would actually need down the road. No tools, no ammunition, no guns, no staple foods, no water purification supplies. Just the luxury items that people would literally kill for

It might be worth considering books & references, like "The Way Things Work" and manuals for common electrical/electronic/mechanical devices. You might not have the technical or mechanical expertise available in the event of a major catastrophe.

Of course, you have to decide where the weight/usefulness lines are drawn.

The right books (including various survival references) would also make for good barter.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SalMTFI
Back