Best Way To Conceal For a Small Guy

Running Arrow Bill

Running Arrow Bill
I'm a small framed guy, 140#, and 68" tall. I carry a Baretta .40 Model 96 in an Uncle Mike's holster on my belt loop for cross-draw.

I have no problem concealing in cool/cold weather (below 60 deg. F....I get cold easily) by using a Carhart canvas ranch vest, or, my down vest, or my larger ranch coat. The bulk and length of these clothing items adequately conceals. [I wear Western Shirts and Jeans all the time.

However...in warm/hot weather, I am at a loss of what to wear that does NOT seem "out of season" and still be able to conceal. I have thought about wearing one of those "summer" vests for concealed carry, but not sure. I am "thin" enough so that I don't have any extra fat to "hide" a handgun. Even getting a small frame or compact SA would still be difficult to conceal.

Any ideas anyone???

Any and all comments and suggestions will be more than welcome.

P.S.: I had thought about using a "belly pack" (aka a "fanny pack"); however, in my rural area that would be a dead giveaway...lol...and out of character to a guy in livestock ranching.

Hi, I would suggest checking out two different holsters. On is the Crossbreed Supertuck Delux and the second is the smartcarry. If you google them you will find their webisites and videos on both holsters in action. Strongly recommend both holsters.

The Crossbreed line of IWB holsters looks comfortable. HOWEVER, for a small guy that doesn't wear oversized jeans or shirts and who doesn't have a "potbelly" to help hide the gun, I can't see it would work for me...unfortunately.

I don't wear T-Shirts or pullover shirts for outerwear. Shirt is always tucked in.

Guess I just need to wear a vest when I'm in public with a Sign that says, "What's your problem...I'm COLD!" LOL!!

96FS is just a big gun. I own a 92FS and I'd never consider even trying with summer clothing. I think both slide and mag well are way too fat for confortable IWB carry. But that is a matter of opinion.

I am 6'8", medium frame and 185lb. I carry a Makarov in a custom made leather IWB holster. Works for me. Everything else I tried did not work. Some people change to a small frame, more concealable gun during summer time.

You will have to try a few things until you find the right set of trade offs for you. Sorry, no short cuts. Read good comments about Kholster

Around here, a vest in the summertime screams CCW just about as much as a fanny pack. I've never been to TX, but I envision a vest as fairly common attire, even in the summer, right? If you always tuck in, the vest is about the only way to go with a gun that size and your body frame. Plus, having your gun under a tucked in shirt is not very quick on the draw.

BUT would you be in the market for a new gun? There are a handful of big bore pocket guns available. This would allow you to carry in a wallet holster or ankle holster. (This is what I plan on doing in the near future)

Check this site out for a bunch of "pocket guns":Mouseguns.Com New Index

With the Kholster IWB it is very easy to Kant the gun to decrease the reveal. It is also very thin and tuckable. I wear it in the summer with an over sized T-Shirt tucked in and have no issues. the full sized leather that covers the grip from hitting your body is great, you don not need to wear an undershirt under the T shift or loose fitting western shirt. I wore mine for 8 hours with just a T shirt and no undershirt this weekend without any issues what so ever

I'm about as tall as you are and a bit lighter, so I understand the need of trying to find a holster that fits a slender body build.

I wear a velcro-type belly-band (like the one you see called defender holster on Gun Concealment holsters, shoulder holsters, leather holster or the NRA belly holster on Link Removed).

I've had this type of holster for years and it has served me well by hugging my gun closely--attached to me, rather than to my belt or my clothes. It conceals my gun well under my clothes and I adjust it to allow for cross draw. I've worn it under dress pants, dresses, jeans, and cargo shorts. Shirts are sometimes tucked in. (Some of my friends can even wear this holster with shorts and a shirt over which makes it easy for summer time.)

There are variations of this type of belly band holsters and some do have a leather panel on the band to give more reinforcement. I removed the thumb break off mine for ease of drawing--I have no need for the thumb break since this holster is under my clothes anyway and the elastic hugs my gun closely to my body. I haven't had any issue with the gun shifting or moving out. It is comfortable for me--I wear it with my gun for more than 12 hours per day and go every where.

Good luck with your search for a holster that fits you.

- Ceicei

I used to carry in an ankle holster. Weight is un comfortable and a problem if tou have to move quickly. Imagin trying to draw while moving. It's slow, clumsy, and looks so rediculus it draws attention. Of course in my case i"m always triping over my big feet anayways.

I would suggest trying a smart carry. A tucked in shirt isn't a problem, and actually give you a smoother draw. A big gun might be a bit bulgy, but hey, that might not be a bad thing. :biggrin:

A word of warning, i was carrying my SR9 under a pair of jeans and didn't realize the button ont he jeans was metal on the inside (not just sewn on), and the gun was riding higher than it should have and scratched my slide pretty good. If you try a smart carry, watch out for metal button backs and make sure the gun sits below the button.

I'm 5'4" and weigh 165lbs. I don't have a problem conealing even my 1911. In warm weather, I wear my smartcarry SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters You should definitely check it out. Charlie (owner of smartcarry) told me to buy the largest one to carry different size weapons in the same holster. He explained that you can use a saftey pin to adjust the size of the pocket for your weapon. You also might want to look at getting a pocket size gun to carry in a pocket holster. I have one of these for my S&W 340pd and my Walther PPK/S Pocket Holsters

Good Luck!

I use a SmartCarry too. Holds my HK .45 USP compact & two spare mags...no problem. Even with jeans and a tucked in T-shirt it's impossible to spot. Plus you can swing it around so the gun's behind your hip...works just fine.

Milspec

HOWEVER, for a small guy that doesn't wear oversized jeans or shirts and who doesn't have a "potbelly" to help hide the gun, I can't see it would work for me...unfortunately.

I don't wear T-Shirts or pullover shirts for outerwear. Shirt is always tucked in.
I am about the same stature as you smaller actually. To my knowledge I have not been made on nearly forty years. Currently I carry an XD .45 compact in a custom holster just over my right rear pocket, either OWB or IWB depending on the season and what I am wearing
IMO you may want to reconsider your priorities
Shirt is always tucked in
doesn't wear oversized jeans or shirts
If making a fashion statement is your major concern than you will always have problems carrying concealed. I have had this very same discussion with my wife. The fact is that you have chosen to carry a concealed deadly weapon. Doing so IMO requires a evaluation of all of your priorities. Everything from how you dress to how you carry yourself and interact with others. You can be true to who and what you are or true to your look and image
Again IMO It's easy. Relax, you don't want to stand out. Blend in wear relaxed fitting clothing. Consider wearing a medium T-shirt untucked or if you tuck it in wear a flannel shirt over it unbuttoned. Get some looser jeans. It is not a big deal. No one is suggesting that you adapt the baggy jeans show your underwear wanna be thug look. But do consider WHY thugs dress the way they do. It was not a fashion statement.

Or take the hard line and insist on whatever you feel must be your fashion statement and style.

I am about the same stature as you smaller actually. To my knowledge I have not been made on nearly forty years. Currently I carry an XD .45 compact in a custom holster just over my right rear pocket, either OWB or IWB depending on the season and what I am wearing
IMO you may want to reconsider your priorities

If making a fashion statement is your major concern than you will always have problems carrying concealed. I have had this very same discussion with my wife. The fact is that you have chosen to carry a concealed deadly weapon. Doing so IMO requires a evaluation of all of your priorities. Everything from how you dress to how you carry yourself and interact with others. You can be true to who and what you are or true to your look and image
Again IMO It's easy. Relax, you don't want to stand out. Blend in wear relaxed fitting clothing. Consider wearing a medium T-shirt untucked or if you tuck it in wear a flannel shirt over it unbuttoned. Get some looser jeans. It is not a big deal. No one is suggesting that you adapt the baggy jeans show your underwear wanna be thug look. But do consider WHY thugs dress the way they do. It was not a fashion statement.

Or take the hard line and insist on whatever you feel must be your fashion statement and style.

I'll assure you my situation has NOTHING to do with a "Fashion Statement". It is strictly a safe way to dress in what I do: Work & manage Longhorn cattle, mow pastures with tractor, move hay bales with tractor, etc., etc. Wearing baggy or oversized clothing would create a safety hazard using machinery, not to mention the chance of something oversized getting caught on barb wire when I was trying to qickly get out of a pen for whatever reason. On the other hand, my idea of "comfortable clothes" is wearing clothes that fit and allow me to do the chores I need to do without having to worry that they will get hung up on something creating a safety hazard. On a side note: More than once even with the clothes I wear, I have accidentally caught my jacket (in winter) on a tractor hydraulic lever...fortunately no accident occurred. Since then I am overly cautious about what I wear for both comfort and safety issues.

All said and done, I am now leaning toward using a "belly band" type holster and buying a smaller framed handgun to carry in summer when I can't wear a vest or jacket...possibly a compact or sub-compact 9 mm or even another .40.

I'm 5' 7" and 140 lbs, aka short and skinny. My Kahr P40 completely disappears on my hip even wearing a rather small shirt. I carry it in a basic Uncle Mike's padded IWB holster. I carry this when clothing does not permit carrying my 1911.

Now on to the 1911- I carry that in a Galco IWB leather holster which clips to the outside of the belt. I must wear a slightly larger shirt than normal however it also disappears as long as I cant it so the grip doesn't "hang" out from behind. I also find that drawing is quicker in this position so its basically win-win. I carry my full size Kimber Custom II with me wherever I go in normal clothing and have never been made. This is in the hot FL sun as well.

I have a few trustworthy friends who after sharing with them this secret, all have been taken aback. None of them ever knew or even considered that I may have a pistol on me- let alone a full size 1911!

I'm 5'8", and I carry only one gun, summer and winter. It's a Ruger LCP carried in my front weak side pocket. It pretty much disappears in my wranglers. Summer time I'm wearing cargo hiking shorts and a tee shirt.

I never carry IWB or OWB as I can't stand dressing around my CCW. I know a lot of people have no problem with belt carry, I do though so my solution works for me.

All said and done, I am now leaning toward using a "belly band" type holster and buying a smaller framed handgun to carry in summer when I can't wear a vest or jacket...possibly a compact or sub-compact 9 mm or even another .40.
I do have a belly band, but I would seldom recomend it to someone else. I'm not too crazy about the constant constriction around my waist. Plus it is like a layer of insulation. In the winter that isn't too bad, but in even 40-50 degree weather it makes me sweat, AND then absorbs it. I go home with a wet gun everyday. Plus, like you I tuck in my shirt at work. This means that if I must draw, I have to pull my shirt tail out to get to the gun. This is why I am saving up for a Rohrbaugh 9mm to carry in a wallet holster. I don't really care for stuff in my pockets either, but for me, that is easier to deal with than the 5" of elastic around my waist all day.

...It's a Ruger LCP carried in my front weak side pocket...
Just curious, why in the weak side pocket? That seems like a difficult place to draw and take aim from.

On the other hand, my idea of "comfortable clothes" is wearing clothes that fit and allow me to do the chores I need to do without having to worry that they will get hung up on something creating a safety hazard.
That being the case I really do not see a problem. Maybe I am being unclear I did NOT suggest you wear baggy thug style clothes but for your size say about 30 waist pants and a medium size T-shirt should be comfortable work clothes loose enough to work in with out being so baggy that they are hazard. You don't want to look like a thug with the saggy draws but you don't want to be Elvis printing your package either. A relaxed fit that is comfortable and safe to work in should be loose fitting enough to conceal a compact XD.45. At least that is what works for me, with a good quality custom holster made to fit your gun. If you insist on tucking your shirt in be sure that you gets a tuckable IWB holster and you should be fine. If you use cheap off the shelf holsters you will always have problems be it with concealment, fit, draw or retention. I would suggest the guy that made my holsters but as of late he has had some credibility problems coming through with what he promises

I'm 5'7" 204lbs, not fat- no gut. I carry my 5" 1911with shorts and a t-shirt. I can't wear with my 10rd clips, but if I wear a ITWB in about 4-4:30 position untucked t- shirt, no problems. My back and shoulders may help hide it, but no one has ever made any comments.If this makes you uncomfortable, I would highly recommend a deep concealment style holster, such as a SmartCarry. During Summer months you will not only grab civilians attention wearing a jacket, you will most likely grab the attention of Law Enforcement. A jacket big enough to hide your weapon, and resist flopping around in a wind, just screams suspicious. Even if you are law abiding it could be a hassle. Since you say you like your shirts tucked, I'd go smartcarry. I've heard it raises a bit when you sit, but you where it low, and you don't notice it if your standing. Maybe, if you wear butthuggers. If so, you can go 1 size larger and still not feel like a clown. Though I have seen pictures of women wearing with tight jeans and I couldn't tell they were packing. Though they're missing some things men have, so. SmartCarry - Concealed Gun Holsters hope this helps you with your decision. :happy:

Dress Around the Gun

Regardless of your build or your habitual clothing style, one of the edicts of concealed carry is that you must dress around the gun.

The holster style and your IWB/OWB/Strong-side/Cross-draw preferences all come into play, but the bottom line is that you have to adjust.

If you're accustomed to wearing a medium shirt, you may need to go to large or even x-large to accommodate. Changing the size of the gun can make a difference, but if you insist on wearing skin tight clothing, you'll never conceal well.

I opted for IWB carry of a Springfield XD40 Service model. Not a tiny gun by any stretch, but easily concealable. And I changed my style a bit from always trim and tucked in to slightly baggy and untucked. In cooler weather I wear one of several vests that make sense for the weather.

OP mentioned western style wear. That's okay, but it really limits your options in some areas and opens your options in others. Cool weather and the vests come into play. Warmer weather, that may be problematic. Maybe try a guayabera style shirt with the straight hem that can be worn untucked.

If that's not an option, you may have to go to an ankle holster, but they don't work well with cowboy boots.:yu:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back