Best way to carry a Snub Nosed revolver?

CDR_Glock

Glock 23
I have a Ruger SP-101 and Taurus 357 revolver. Both have exposed hammers. If I would like to carry one concealed, what are your recommended methods to do so (ie ITWB, Pocket, etc)?

Opinions vary, Colonel, and comfort will dictate. I have a Galco OWB holster as well as a Fobus paddle for my S&W Mdl. 60. They're both comfortable and concealable (enough) for me, at 6'0" and 215lbs. At the same time I have an ankle holster for it, too, that was a waste of money. Tried it on, took it off, and never took it out of the drawer again. This is why most of us have a box somewhere with a small cache of not-quite-right holsters gathering dust. I'm sure you'll accumulate yours, too. Have fun!

P.S. - Welcome to the Forum.

Revolvers are more reliable then semi-auto pistols.
Steel revolvers weigh more then the feather weight, or alloy ones. However the lighter weight the more recoil.
I carry one in a pocket holster.

I have an inexpensive paddle holster. It works, and is comfortable. However, I would prefer another holster with a retention strap. Having my firearm removed by a bad guy is not a good thing.

Opinions vary, Colonel, and comfort will dictate. I have a Galco OWB holster as well as a Fobus paddle for my S&W Mdl. 60. They're both comfortable and concealable (enough) for me, at 6'0" and 215lbs. At the same time I have an ankle holster for it, too, that was a waste of money. Tried it on, took it off, and never took it out of the drawer again. This is why most of us have a box somewhere with a small cache of not-quite-right holsters gathering dust. I'm sure you'll accumulate yours, too. Have fun!

P.S. - Welcome to the Forum.

Got quite a box myself.

-Doc

My titanium Taurus .38+P is very light but ported to take up some of the recoil and stop the flip. I carry in a Galco pocket holster. If I place my thumb behind the hammer as I draw it out it will not snag. If I had it to do over I'd get a shrouded or bobbed hammer. But I can carry with this setup in the skimpiest of attire.

ok i have a question to add to this, when u are carrying and the gun prints, do you still leave your house with it printing or do you try somthing new?? like ie. a fullsized glock or similar in a blackhawk serpa holser on ur belt.

does printing really matter??

With steel frame revolvers I prefer an OWB variant with a 1.5” belt option. With so many variables to consider, I’ve narrowed down my own priorities to comfort and dress code. Others’ may be more concerned with security and concealable features, whereby an IWB is better suited. These are the factors I considered before purchasing.

OWB Pros:
Weight distribution & bearing surface
Wardrobe pant/belt size consistency
Easier panic draw & re-holstering

IWB Pros:
More concealable
Improved security​

Regards,

ok i have a question to add to this, when u are carrying and the gun prints, do you still leave your house with it printing or do you try somthing new?? like ie. a fullsized glock or similar in a blackhawk serpa holser on ur belt.

does printing really matter??

I find even when it prints in my front pocket (loud enough for everyone in a five mile radius) no one see's it. Maybe cause they are not looking for or expect it. What we call printing is just a buldge to most people.

I carry a S&W 360 feather weight 357 magnum IWB in the appendix position. No one has a clue.

I carry my SP101 357 in a Fobus tactilcal paddle holster. Fits well and easy to carry. It will pull down your pants so wear a belt....:biggrin:

When I am not carrying my Sig P220, I carry a Taurus 850UL (titanium) in an IWB holster from The Holster Store (theholsterstore.com)..they are reasonably priced and have served me well the last 18 months that I have owned the revolver.

I have a Ruger SP-101 and Taurus 357 revolver. Both have exposed hammers. If I would like to carry one concealed, what are your recommended methods to do so (ie ITWB, Pocket, etc)?

I have a sp101 also and i have a uncle mikes cheap iwb,,works great..good luck trying them :)

What trouser or pant are you wearing. When I have my jeans on (I am older and so I buy "comfort or relaxed fit), my S&W .38 snub nose airweight simply disappears in my front pocket. I carry it inside a heavy fabric (nylon?) pocket holster ... Uncle Mikes I think.

Best way to carry a snubnose revolver

I go IWB and use Fist holsters with an extreme forward cant which eliminates printing.I have bought so many holsters from Fist over the years for different handguns that I get their 20% off deal.

What trouser or pant are you wearing. When I have my jeans on (I am older and so I buy "comfort or relaxed fit), my S&W .38 snub nose airweight simply disappears in my front pocket. I carry it inside a heavy fabric (nylon?) pocket holster ... Uncle Mikes I think.

+1. My son carries a hammerless Smith & Wesson in a front pocket as his primary carry weapon. I have at times in the past also carried like this. It has been my experience that if you have a good inside the pocket holster and do not wear pants that are to tight fitting it is not detectable at all.

How to carry a snubby

I have a mdl 640-1 and a mdl 10 2" and they are carried in Fist IWB holsters with a lot of fwd cant,I find them very comfortable.

What is the best way? The answer is it depends. What part of the country do you live in and what season is it. Where are you going? i.e. church, or the beach etc. What will you be doing? Sitting in a vehicle, running, lifting weights or perhaps sitting in a movie theater. The point I am trying to make is no one can give you a one size fits all answer. What the best way to carry is will change during different times of the year, as the temperature changes, your activity changes and your wardrobe requirements change.

I carry a S&W 66- Stainless Steel 357 snubnose. I have a custom Galco OWB paddle (no strap) that holds pretty snug strong side or cross draw and a Galco IWB with a retention strap. I also have a belly band holster that holds my wheel gun in deep conceal quite nicely.

But to each their own.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back