Best states for CC of personal defense weapons?

keiter

I've lived in states where I could only carry the specific guns listed on the CCW and where I just got a CCDW and can carry any legal weapon I can fit on my person. Is there a list that rates them in order of the most user friendly, considering all the fine print. It would be a good starting point for my search for a new job.
keiter

I've lived in states where I could only carry the specific guns listed on the CCW and where I just got a CCDW and can carry any legal weapon I can fit on my person. Is there a list that rates them in order of the most user friendly, considering all the fine print. It would be a good starting point for my search for a new job.
keiter

You could always come to Georgia.... license allows open OR concealed carry... no weapons registration... since we allow open carry, printing is not an issue.... no requirement to "qualify" with specific weapons in order to carry them... and - a SHALL ISSUE state... all in all.. not too bad

New Hampshire. The only places off limits there are courthouses and any place not legal under federal law. Open carry outside of a vehicle with no permit is also legal. A resident permit is cheap ($10 I think) and there are no magazine capacity restrictions or limits on the numbrr or type of guns that may be carried.

Oklahoma has a few restrictions. You have to qualify with the type of weapon you want to carry. If you qualify with a revolver, that is all you are allowed to carry. If you qualify with a semi-auto, you can carry basically anything up to a .45. Anything larger is prohibited.

Obviously, the "concealed carry without a permit" states would be considered "best". But even those states have some regulations on when/where you can carry.

Oregon (as a whole) is very liberal: No gun registration of any kind, no permits needed for gun purchase or ownership. No-permit open carry unloaded ANYWHERE except where forbidden by federal law and courtrooms. No-permit open carry loaded in all but a few cities (generally the larger cities: Portland, Salem, a few of Portland's suburbs.) Shall-issue concealed carry, where even the county that includes Portland is good about doing it in a timely manner. Concealed Handgun License holders can concealed or open carry anywhere except where forbidden by federal law and courtrooms; even in cities that otherwise prohibit open loaded carry. (AKA: A CHL means you only have to obey state law, not local law, as it pertains to gun rights.)

The only downside is lack of reciprocity. Oregon only recognizes Oregon CHL, and while it is shall-issue to Oregon residents, it is may-issue to out-of state residents; and only residents of border states can even apply. (Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California.) As an out-of-state resident, you may apply to any county sheriff, but some are better than others for out-of-state residents. (Grant County's sheriff is widely known as the best for out-of-staters.) And some county sheriffs are *VERY* restrictive to out-of-state residents. (For example, only accepting applications from directly adjacent border counties, and only granting under very limited circumstances.)

Real estate appraiser. I bought my first handgun in Phoenix, when Glock came out with the new 19, still have it. Thanks everyone for the info.
keiter

Last edited:
Try Washington. A CPL(concealed pistol license) is less than $60 and good for 5 years. There is no classes to take or qualifying or restrictions on what you can carry. The permit is recognized in about 24 states. Look at the USA CARRY reciprocity map. There is a few restrictions on where you cant carry, such as a courtroom, jail or prison, bar or in a school but thats fairly common in other states. You apply at your local cop-shop and in less than a month youre good to go. Also open carry is legal here WITHOUT a permit.

Some states have restrictions on carrying in public areas, but may define that term differently. Generally speaking, the "May issue" states in the northeast will have the most restrictions. Don't let the cheap $25 price of a New Jersey carry permit fool you!

Obviously, the "concealed carry without a permit" states would be considered "best". But even those states have some regulations on when/where you can carry.

Oregon (as a whole) is very liberal: No gun registration of any kind, no permits needed for gun purchase or ownership. No-permit open carry unloaded ANYWHERE except.........

Whats the sense of having a weapon if it's unloaded? By the time ya lock and load you'll be down for the count. Sounds pretty Liberal to me.

fla...all cities must adhere to state law and cannot be more strict than state law....also no restriction on carry weapon

I have to second the Fl vote. FL started the shall issue wave. Laws tend to be gun friendly and it continues to get better. Also, my CCW only took 11 days to from application to my mailbox.

RemuvB4Flt:225682 said:
I have to second the Fl vote. FL started the shall issue wave. Laws tend to be gun friendly and it continues to get better. Also, my CCW only took 11 days to from application to my mailbox.

And I'll third this...FL has become very CC friendly. Now we need campus CC.

NC has done a good job at "Shall Issue", IMHO. The recent passage of their version of the "Castle Doctrine" just about makes life beautiful "all the time"! (Took a voter repulsion of the Lib dominated State Congress in '10 to get it done! Finally!)

GG

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back