Best small light pocket carry?

anon231

I'm looking for a small light handgun that I could easily carry in my pocket, and we aren't talking large pockets here, we're talking a suit pant pocket. And yeah, that's going to be a requirement.

I have a Glock 27 .40 but it isn't practical to carry so I end up just leaving it under my pillow at night and never take it anywhere. I figure that the first rule is probably to have a gun before anything else, regardless of what kind it is. So if I won't carry it then it doesn't matter how amazing it is, it's worthless to me. So I think I'll probably try to get rid of it to get the smaller type of gun that I'm talking about, so probably around a $400 range.

I've seen something like the Bond Arms Texas Defender .40 before in person and it's small and could easily be carried in a pocket and .40 has some kick to it but I'm not sure how I'd feel about only having 2 shots.

Small is good but I just wouldn't feel safe with a whimpy little .22 so something that low caliber is out of the question. About as small as I'd even consider reasonable is probably a .380 since it's shortened 9mm but even then I'd probably prefer 9mm.

As far as size goes the .380 micro desert eagle looks pretty good but it's also pretty heavy. It doesn't have a safety though, and to be honest I'd kinda like to have a safety. That's something I really dislike about the Glock. I know most people don't like them but I like the idea of a safety personally.

Something like the 9mm Kimber Solo looks very nice. Great sights, has a safety, and it's small. But, it looks a lot more expensive than I'd really want it to be. Something like the 9mm Ruger LC9 might be an option since the description would be similar to the Kimber Solo but a hell of a lot cheaper. The .380 Ruger LCP is also an option and it's a hell of a lot smaller and lighter, but no safety. Still, it's worth consideration.

Right, so... Thoughts?

The best safety is to keep the finger out of the trigger. Usually, pistols with no external safety have a long and heavy trigger pull in order to avoid accidental discharges, just like revolvers. People carried revolvers for decades without any problems. If you feel unsafe without an external safety, probably you'll need to get some training to improve your gun handling skills. Keep in mind that in duch a small pistol, releasing the safety would be a very difficult operation.

I'm not worried about my finger in the trigger. I'm worried about keys or a knife or something getting in there in my pocket and moving around when I sit down and causing it to discharge in some bizarre freak accident. I just don't trust something like that and it'd be more convenient to just have a safety than needing a holster in my pocket as well.

Also, I've had USMC marksmanship training so gun handling skills isn't the issue.

When you carry a gun in your pocket, you don't carry coins, keys, or anything that can interfere with your gun in the same pocket. Wearing a pocket holster is always a good idea. Obviously in boot camp they don't teach how to carry safely concealed weapons, do they? What I can see, is that you feel unsecure with most of the guns available for pocket carry. In that case, the best advice is not to carry. Safety starts in your mind.

With all due respect, I'm not really interested in your opinion of whether or not I should carry. That's my decision, and frankly what you're insinuating is more than a little insulting.

You might look at the S&W bodyguard 380. I love mine! With summer coming up wearing lighter and less clothing it was a perfect addition for me. It does have a safety on it even though I don't use it. For the small frame it does pack quite a punch. Even though it's not important to me, it also has an integrated laser model if you care for that for around $420.
When I'm going untucked I usually have my XDS 9 but other times the 380 is perfect and in my pocket.
Also you might look into just a pocket holster where you will have the peace of mind that the pistol is safe from all other things in your pocket if you choose. But most of all for safety reasons.. it will keep the correct position in your pocket for drawing. Hope this helps. JB

There were just recently a number of 380 Auto and pocket gun threads on this forum, such as http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/43626-what-s-best-380-a.html and http://www.usacarry.com/forums/concealed-carry-discussion/43706-pocket-guns.html.

Considering that you carry a Glock 27, I recommend to stay with double action only and no safety for consistency. You don't want to think about "Do I carry the gun with the safety today?" when you need to draw in a self defense situation.

I personally have the Taurus TCP 738, see http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/43834-selecting-pocket-pistol-comfort-safety-protection.html#post512528. Other 380 Auto options in that category are: Kel-Tec P-3AT, Ruger LCP, Kahr P380. For 9 mm in that category, look at the Kahr CM9 (or PM9) and the Ruger LC9 (although it is half an inch longer and higher than the Kahr CM9).

In any case, you should not have anything other than the gun and potentially a pocket holster in that particular pocket. This applies to guns with and without safety. When you practice drawing from a pocket with an empty gun and with something else in the same pocket, such as a key chain or a spare magazine, you will see that having anything else in that pocket is not only unsafe, but also slows you down as you need more time to get a proper grip on the gun.

If you still want a safety, the S&W Bodyguard 380 is an option. I personally don't like it as the safety switch is very small. Go to a gun store and try it out. Note that while the Sig Sauer P238 has a safety as well, it is a single action only gun. Although, I understand that the trigger pull is heavier than your typical 1911.

About that safety discussion, if you really feel uncomfortable without safety on the Glock, you can get a heavier trigger for it that makes it more like a double action pull on a revolver. Although it will likely reduce your accuracy to the level of a NYC LEO, i.e., you are more likely to hit others with shrapnel than your attacker with bullets.

small concealed

I'm looking for a small light handgun that I could easily carry in my pocket, and we aren't talking large pockets here, we're talking a suit pant pocket. And yeah, that's going to be a requirement.

I have a Glock 27 .40 but it isn't practical to carry so I end up just leaving it under my pillow at night and never take it anywhere. I figure that the first rule is probably to have a gun before anything else, regardless of what kind it is. So if I won't carry it then it doesn't matter how amazing it is, it's worthless to me. So I think I'll probably try to get rid of it to get the smaller type of gun that I'm talking about, so probably around a $400 range.

I've seen something like the Bond Arms Texas Defender .40 before in person and it's small and could easily be carried in a pocket and .40 has some kick to it but I'm not sure how I'd feel about only having 2 shots.

Small is good but I just wouldn't feel safe with a whimpy little .22 so something that low caliber is out of the question. About as small as I'd even consider reasonable is probably a .380 since it's shortened 9mm but even then I'd probably prefer 9mm.

As far as size goes the .380 micro desert eagle looks pretty good but it's also pretty heavy. It doesn't have a safety though, and to be honest I'd kinda like to have a safety. That's something I really dislike about the Glock. I know most people don't like them but I like the idea of a safety personally.

Something like the 9mm Kimber Solo looks very nice. Great sights, has a safety, and it's small. But, it looks a lot more expensive than I'd really want it to be. Something like the 9mm Ruger LC9 might be an option since the description would be similar to the Kimber Solo but a hell of a lot cheaper. The .380 Ruger LCP is also an option and it's a hell of a lot smaller and lighter, but no safety. Still, it's worth consideration.

Right, so... Thoughts?
I like my ruger 380

I have a Ruger LCP that I carry every day in the front pocket of my jeans, in my briefcase, or in my car since my employer will not allow weapons on site. I love the gun and enjoy shooting it. If you want to shoot all day then the LCP is not the gun for that as the small size can make it uncomfortable after awhile but for shooting enough to maintain accuracy it does fine. My LCP seems to want to jam if I use cheaper ammo and my father-in-law recommend PMC rounds to cut down on that problem. So far it is working.

The LCP does not have a safety, as I'm sure you know, but it has a looooong trigger pull to compensate for that lack. All in all I enjoy the gun. I like Ruger pistols and would like to get a LC9 for me and give the .380 to my wife. She might want the Ruger LCR but that is a discussion for another thread.

Ruger LC9 (9 mm) or LCP (.380) depending on your pocket size. Both conceal well in my suit pants pocket. long trigger pull. Be sure to use a pocket holster to cover the trigger.

I would suggest a j frame sized revolver in a pocket holster for pocket carry. It works well for me. Oh yeah, always use a pocket holster when pocket carrying, and do not put anything else in that pocket. That's why it's called a negligent discharge; if you neglect basic safety, you will eventually pay for it.

S&W Airweight Revolver

Right, so... Thoughts?

For carry in the pocket - a fairly dusty, dirt prone environment - a S&W Airweight Revolver would be my recommendation.

I love my LC9. Gave around 350.00 for it here in NC. Like everyone else is saying it does have a long trigger pull, but it's something you get accustomed to with practice. Very easily to conceal also.

Kahr CW.380 Best pocket in the world IMHO. 7 rds of .380 VERY accurate , double action with long trigger pull, you won't be dissapointed. and $319 on gunbroker.

Try a Kel tec 380, a great little pocket gun and really inexpensive, not something I would want to go to the range and shoot everyday but a great little pocket or backup gun, my wife and I have both carried one for years and never had a minutes problem with them

I have a Taurus 380 acp that i carry any where i go. It fits perfectly in my purse and works great all the time. Its comfortable and accurate.

After reading through all the comments I think the S&W Bodyguard 380 sounds about right on the money. I'll have to check into having a look at one in person - I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

My Micro Desert Eagle has won out over every single .380 I've tried, which is most of them. It's not light at 14oz but those extra two ounces make all the world in its ability to manage recoil and make you able to keep it on target for follow up shots. Get a quality pocket holster that covers the trigger and it isn't going to go off. The trigger is long enough and heavy enough (yet amazingly smooth) that it's not going to get inadvertently pulled like you're describing if carried in a pocket holster. Most of the safeties on small .380s are also micro safeties. You're going to have to practice, practice to get the safety to be automatic and even then they're often so small and difficult to manipulate that I wouldn't want to have to depend on drawing and flicking it off in a critical stress-filled situation. Go with the MDE. You won't regret it.

When it comes to presenting a small/tiny pistol from a suit pocket, the Marines didn't teach you jack, Jack. No disrespect intended but it's a very different skill set. As others have noted, a good pocket holster is a necessity. Not only does it keep "stuff" (finger included) away from the trigger (nothing else SHOULD go in that pocket but sometimes it happens) but, more importantly, it holds the handgun in a consistent position. Whatever gun you choose, dry practice a LOT until your presentation is as smooth, safe and accurate as the Marines taught you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back