Best shotgun defense ammo?

toreskha

Titles are un-American.
If you use a shotgun as your primary home defense, what type of shells do you use? 00 buckshot, slugs, etc? Is there anything better than a conventional round to use or is that pretty much all there is?

I just got a Mossberg 500 and put a pistol grip on it, and after I get some practice in and it feeds reliably, I'll be using it as my home defense/primary SHTF gun. I'm waiting for some accessories to come in to really outfit it well.

Last edited:
I would use slugs, simply you don't have to worry about them spreading apart and diminishing their stopping power like you would with pellets.

I've been looking to pick up a nice Mossberg 500 or Remington 870 here soon. I'll probably run 00 buck in mine. At close distance you’re not going to have to worry about loss of velocity and its nice knowing that each shoot is going to land multiple hits creating multiple wound cavities. Also with the 00 buck it will shoot a pattern so even if you're a little wide with you shot you still have a chance at landing hits.

But I have known people that run slugs and I know of people that alternate slug, 00 buck, slug, ect.

I guess it more what you feel comfortable with.

I have OOO in mine. I went into the local wally world last year to pick up some OOO. When the girl rang it up it showed 50 cents. I told her that was wrong and that I did not want to get her in trouble to try again. The second time it rang up 50 cents for a box of five I smiled and asked how many box's she had. Yes... I bought all 26 box's that were behind the counter.

Thank long and hard about using slugs as the primary ammunition in a HD shotgun. One of the best reasons for a shotgun for HD is the ability to feed it a variety of ammunition.

A shotgun slug penetrates. If you ever had the occasion to fire this in your home, do you want a slug to go clear through your house, possibly even after connecting with your intended target? 00 buck or even 6's, 7's, or 8's will all be perfectly "functional" as HD ammo. Carry a couple of slugs on the buttstock saddle of your gun so taht they are an option, but not your primary ammunition. deciding to change ammo only takes seconds if you know how to run your gun.

If you think that shot will make for innefective hits, take your gun to a range with a variety of ammo. Shoot on lean carboard from a couple different distances with each of it and see for yourself how the shot patterns from each. There is not a "spraying" pattern that everyone thinks. With the right load, 00 buck can make for a precision shot.

Since slugs have so much size to work with, it shouldn't be too hard to make HPs. Make the right cuts and it wouldn't go flying through the wall; all of the force would be transmitted to the target.

This might be an academic discussion though. If you hit someone square with a 00 buck load, they'll most likely be thrown back on their ass dead even if they're on drugs. Even with a level IV vest on, it would probably knock them down.

I don't know what a slug would do, but getting popped once with even a slow-moving .50 cal would probably cause a nonrecoverable error.

Slugs simply have way too much energy behind them to expect them to stop inside of a human, IMO. I live out in the boonies so believe me, I have played with many a shotgun round.

After seeing standard 2.75" 12 gauge Federal slugs go through a car door, washing machine, old couch, and then proceed to bust through a cinderblock in one shot, I will stick with steel turkey shot for home defense. Overpenetration is NOT your, or your neighbor's, or fellow house dweller's friend!!

Slugs simply have way too much energy behind them to expect them to stop inside of a human, IMO. I live out in the boonies so believe me, I have played with many a shotgun round.

After seeing standard 2.75" 12 gauge Federal slugs go through a car door, washing machine, old couch, and then proceed to bust through a cinderblock in one shot, I will stick with steel turkey shot for home defense. Overpenetration is NOT your, or your neighbor's, or fellow house dweller's friend!!

Wouldn't lead be better than steel for HD?

gf

For home defense or any defense #1 buck shot is the smallest diameter shot you would want to use. Anything smaller lacks the penetrating power to reach vital organs unless you fire point blank. Also you are looking at 16 projectiles hitting the BG vs 9 in 00 buck. In a home situation normal shot distance will be within 15', about the distance that the wad travels, and all 16 projectiles will hit where you aim. 00 buck has 9 projectiles and will over penetrate a BG's body. It has a higher chance of penetrating walls putting others at risk. In all shot shell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body. Personally I use 00 buck in my shotguns. I don't have to worry about others in my home since it's only my wife and I here. Also after the smoke clears the BG will have a lot more than 9 entry wounds in their body.

http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Last edited:
winchester ranger 00buck seems a good choice to me...

that tactical brief on shotgun HD ammo is a good read... i've had it bookmarked for quite a while now...

Since slugs have so much size to work with, it shouldn't be too hard to make HPs. Make the right cuts and it wouldn't go flying through the wall; all of the force would be transmitted to the target.

Be alot easier to just buy hollow point shotgun ammo. Ammunition To Go has Link Removed. In fact they have huge range of self defense, specialty and exotic shot gun ammo. Including Low Recoil , Hollow Points, Double Slug, Dual Buckshot & Slug, Flame Thrower, Armor Piercing, Flash Bang , Flechette Ammo, Tear Gas, Less Than Lethal. Some of it obviously completely over the top would never shoot it in my house ammo though interesting and fun to shoot.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back