Best Portland ares handgun rage to shoot at and why?

I can't speak for all of them, but I am a member of the Johnson Creek Gun Club. It is near Clackamas Town Center.
It is a small range and allows you to bring your own ammo. It is not crowded especially during the day.
Cost is reasonable. Targets are available for sale and well priced.
All hanndgun calibers allowed except magnum. 22 rifles allowed.
The drawback is that it is a 50 foot range and they don't allow moving the target closer so you are always shooting at 50'.
Johnson Creek Gun Club - Home

We've also visited Beavercreek Armory and shot there. You have to purchase their ammo, but it is a good place. Just a bit far to travel for us.
We've visited "A Place To Shoot" and it appears to be a good range although we've not shot there.

It has been awhile but, when I was in the Portland area I used to shoot at The Place to shoot 904 N. Hayden Meadows Dr. I just looked at a couple of recent reviews and they rated them 4 out of 5 stars but, you have to purchase ammo and targets form the range.The web site states that they have 21 lanes in our main facility and a tactical training room. I worked the tankers and when we would come to ship yards for dry docking and ship ward work we would look for something to do. The shooting range was close to the hotel along with the race track and drag strip.

I've checked out "The Place to Shoot" before but I will not shoot there. It's a nice range but in my opinion they gouge the crap out of their customers. $35 range fee or $75 annual membership plus $10 range fee PLUS you have to buy their ammo which is marked up AT LEAST 50% from retail prices. When the ammo storage was at its worst they allowed you to bring your own ammo but they still charged you a $5 fee per box, to shoot YOUR OWN FACTORY AMMO. And they have some completely bizarre rules like if you come alone, you're not allowed to rent their handguns. "For safety," You must bring a friend in order to rent handguns from them. I don't get that at all. It's all total BS, when I can drive up to the hills and shoot whatever I want with whoever i want for less than $10 in gas.

I went to an indoor range in Puyallup last year that was as nice or nicer than "the place to shoot." Cost like $11 a day, you could shoot whatever handgun you wanted (or rent theirs), shoot your own ammo (factory or reloads) and they didn't care if you picked up the range brass. The only thing they required was that you take their quick 10 minute range safety presentation the first time you shot there, which was like an extra $2. It was called "The marksman" if you're ever up that way.

And they have some completely bizarre rules like if you come alone, you're not allowed to rent their handguns. "For safety," You must bring a friend in order to rent handguns from them. I don't get that at all.

Personally, I like the place. Not the cheapest, but I have seen worse over the years.

I can however tell you why the gun rental policy is like it is. According to an ex-sheriffs officer friend of mine, in a short period of time after they first opened, they had two different individuals come in alone, rent pistols, then proceed to commit suicide on the range. The thinking is, you're not going to bring a friend along if you plan on shooting yourself.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back