Best option for a first time buyer/low-mid budget?

For one on a budget, 9mm or .357
For centerfire marksmanship, at least a 4" 357. Fire the .38 WC's all day long. Find yourself a lee loader. I hope they still make them for .38. Enjoy.

mpls,

YEP, they still do.

a local gunshop has a PILE of 38/357mag Lee Loaders for 13.99+ tax.

also the "single stage press" with a reloading book for 29.95 + tax.

either is FINE, for a beginner and/or occasional reloaders. ====> i still use my "single stage" to load .401WSL. shells.

yours, TN46

xzeler8,

the shop that i'm talking about had a BUNCH at that price, just a few days ago. = we picked the one with the BEST trigger for Richard = works as good as it LOOKS & shoots GREAT now.

the owner swears that he will also have some 2", model 65 S&W at that same price soon - he will call me when there are IN!

yours, TN46

i would love to live in texas...hopefully in the not too distant future that will be the case

After trying out numerous different models and searching around a bit, I decided on a Smith and Wesson Sigma .40VE. I picked it up brand new for $325 at the local gun shop/range. I also attended the gun show this weekend and picked up an inside-the-pants holster, a bore snake, and a box of Winchester 185 grain hollowpoints (only cost 25 bucks for the box!)

Thanks for all the input it really did help!

John

I also carried for the first time last night in downtown Seattle. I was actually really comfortable in part because my holster works and conceals great, and because my dad was also packing his 19.

I also carried for the first time last night in downtown Seattle. I was actually really comfortable in part because my holster works and conceals great, and because my dad was also packing his 19.

Did you fire the gun yet with the carry ammo? Any issues with feeding the ammo you chose? No functional issues with the firearm?

Make sure it works before you carry it. Especially with the ammo you will load it with for defense. It would be bad to find out it doesn't like the ammo your trying to feed it when and if you need it most.

Just things to think about.

Welcome to the site and enjoy the freedom..

Peace...

I myself prefer the Springfield XD line of handguns. The XD45C is the best of both worlds. It conceals well in a Crossbred Supertuck IWB and is a pleasure to shoot on the range. They shoot so well I have the whole family now 45,40 and 9mm. Check them out you will not be dissapointed.

I wouldn't carry anything less than a 38 Special +P for self defense. Anything around that size would be optimal for the forces you would want to stop an attacker. 9mm, 40 S&W, all good choices for a self defense caliber, and don't forget to get a quality bonded jacketed hollow point. I rely on Speer Gold Dots for my self defense rounds and i could not be happier with them so far.

If i would have had the cash at the time i bought my S&W i would have got the Spingfield XD, but for $299 for my S&W SW40VE, with the 2 free magazines, all i paid was sales tax and i was out the door. It has not jammed on me in 200 rounds so far and is looking to be a good carry piece too.

exactly...i would love a springfield xd too, but being in college has me on a low budget.

$299 is a ridiculously good price. I saw a used .40VE at the gun show for $320 and i though i got a good deal getting mine new for $325 with the two free mags.

i have 135 grain hyrda shoks in my clip right now, and i have another box of 50 winchester 185 grain hollow points.

6shooter: I haven't had the time to shoot either brand yet. I probably should get on that soon.

exactly...i would love a springfield xd too, but being in college has me on a low budget.

$299 is a ridiculously good price. I saw a used .40VE at the gun show for $320 and i though i got a good deal getting mine new for $325 with the two free mags.

i have 135 grain hyrda shoks in my clip right now, and i have another box of 50 winchester 185 grain hollow points.

6shooter: I haven't had the time to shoot either brand yet. I probably should get on that soon.

Yes... Finding out that the gun will not feed the ammo you have loaded it with in the middle of a fight for life situation, less than appealing.

I acquired a used Colt Officer's ACP and was putting it through the paces. The ejector was worn and not tuned well. It was not pulling the empty cartridge out consistently without slipping off the rim. The jam that it produced was difficult to clear quickly with the cartridge being almost pushed back into the chamber. In a gun fight that would be a game ending flaw. Always test the firearm with good factory ammo to verify initial quality and reliability. Next test with the carry or defensive ammo to be used. It gives you a feel for the gun with the ammo and provides a benchmark for accuracy and perceived recoil.

Just advice. Free of course.:biggrin:

Peace...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back