Best method/product for cleaning the action of a polymer auto...

mkneipp

Second try, not sure why this didn't post......maybe it didn't make it to the moderators, but here goes again, lol.

Hi,
Forgive me if this is a repeat question, but I have yet to find an answer that isn't just general frame cleaning. It almost seems like most people don't bother much with the trigger levers, spring and other components. :help:

So, specifically for polymer-framed auto pistols, such as my M&P, what is the best way to clean all the moving parts in the frame and trigger area? I currently use cotton swabs and nylon brushes, but there are so many joints and nooks and crannies and moving parts with hard to reach places that it takes quite a while and I never really feel like I got it all. Is there a polymer-safe penetrating foam cleaner that would do a good job? Or a better method? (and heck, might that also work well for hard-to-strip .22 rifles like the Rem 597 or the Ruger 10-22? I tend to think that you can never to be too anal about cleaning your guns, especially your carry gun, but I suppose its possible.....:no:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased the Hornady Hot Tub ultrasonic cleaner and loving it! I can fit multiple guns as well as spent brass (in different bins) at the same time and have everything spotless in 20 minutes. I can then run everything through a 2nd lube cycle but havent tried that yet (still waiting, it was on back order). Just to add one of the guns I clean in it is a M&P9c

But to answer your question in addition to swabs, qtips, bruses etc I would use dental picks to get to those tight spots

Thanks Philly.....Thats an expensive way to go, methinks! I would love to get one at some point, but thats not today. I will get the CLP aerosol with the spray tube and see if that is a little bit labour saving.

I do keep hearing/seeing how those parts are not that big of deal to let get dirty, but I guess I am just anal. LOL

As an old infantry veteran I completely understand being anal bout cleaning my guns. I typically go 1-2 times per week to the range and using 2 guns, would spend an hour on each gun cleaning afterwards. If I wasnt planning on firing again the same week I would come back and give it a 2nd cleaning (although a faster one) a few days later. I was already getting a bit fed up with spending 4-6 hours per week cleaning guns and was considering the ultrasonic was still scared of them. I recently bout a desert eagle 50. It only took me cleaning that once... to go out the next day and actually buy the cleaner. Now im kicking myself for not having done it years ago.

It is a bit pricey specially for the larger sized one I just got but for $400 plus it comes with a 500 free bullet rebate which is bout $150 in ammo. Either way though saving me that much time per week is awesome and its cleaner then I would manage without a full disassembly. Im already finding myself shooting more guns with each range trip now that im not worried about hand cleaning them all afterwards :)

I havent tried cleaning rifles in it yet but its has like a 20" tank. From what Ive seen in the videos if the whole upper doesnt fit in it you put the one side in clean it, then flip it over and run it again

I really like Hornady's One Shot Cleaner/Lube Spray. It is also scentless once it dries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I really like Hornady's One Shot Cleaner/Lube Spray. It is also scentless once it dries.

Perhaps just simply a bad naming convention but it does not fail to surprise me how many I keep seeing messing up guns w the One Shot, whether thats use in a ultrasonic cleaner or manually. Hornady One Shot has two versions, one for brass cleaning, the other for guns - wouldnt believe how many I see mixing them up.

Since im bumping the thread anyway I'll throw a small update about the ultrasonic cleaner since Ive been using it often the last couple of months. This thing is a little bit of an investment but so great and easy to use I now find myself not only going to the range more often as well as increasing the amount of guns I shoot at a time since Im no longer worried about having to hand cleaning everything. I even have my cop neighbor who now stops by and hands off his duty weapon asking for me to clean it when Im running a cycle

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back