Best Hyrda-Shock ammo for Glock 27 .40

GT500Shlby

Armed Fireman
Hi. I am new to handguns and will me purchasing my first handgun, a Glock 27 tomorrow.

I have one quote for $508. Which may or may not be the best deal. I am not Law Enforcement - I'm just a Firefighter. However I have heard mixed answers on if I am eligible for the LEO discount. I am still pricing and I have a few LE friends tracking down numbers. However from what I read, what I was quoted seems to be a decent PA price. I would rather take the certainty of having the gun tomorrow over waiting just to save like $20.

Anyway, back to the point. I'm looking for ammo and handguns are a different animal from my normal 12 gauge shot-gun which will just about shoot anything that shoots! :wink:

I'm looking on Buds, and they have Federals (which I use in my Shotgun) but with 4 different grains.

135 to 180 grains. With shotguns I am used to high brass and low brass - but with the Glock I am more worried for what the gun is rated for and what will fire without damaging the gun. I'm assuming the lighter 135 grain would provide less recoil and more accurate rapid firing with the caveat being that its effective distance would be diminished. Which is acceptable to me, I'm getting a sub compact for self defense. I'm not using it for 100 yard take downs. There will be two times I will be using this weapon. First is at the Gun range, the second would be to protect my well being and my home. Normally I lead off with less-than lethal 12-gauge rounds to scare off the perpetrator, the .40 is for when I really need to use lethal force to protect myself. I'm not going for a tactical arm shot, if I have to use this gun, I'm going for 3 shots center mass to kill.

So. being new to hand guns. I need some advice to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited:
The Glock 27 is a difficult shooting handgun for "newbies". Due to the light weight and compact size, it takes some practice to become proficient. With that said, be sure that you're able to have adequate time on the range and have a good supply of ammo.

We have discussed the ammo issue on several threads. The common load for LE and SD use is 165gr. Some argue that a heavier bullet will be better, but in my shooting experience (have 2 Glock 27 pistols), the 165 grain has been the most consistant in performance. It's a good balance in bullet weight and energy transfer into the target. Many LE agencies use Speer Gold Dot, Winchester Ranger T, Remington Golden Sabre, or Federal Tactical HST ammunition. There are many choices out there. Shoot all of 'um and see which one you like best. I like the Speer Gold Dot ammuniton. It's more important to be sure that your ammo will consistantly feed when you need it to.

Spend a lot of time on the range shooting target ammo. Once you're confident in your skills with the target ammo, shoot a couple boxes of your SD ammo. You need to do this to ensure that the ammo will perform as expected when it counts the most.

Welcome to USA Carry. Happy shooting, and be safe!

gf

Thanks Glock Fan! I have spent the better part of the night reading up on ammo. What I have read seems to fall right in line with your post. I have shot a few of my friends compacts and sub compacts and I do O.K. However, and I won't admit this to my LE friends, I'm going to get instruction on how to best handle and fire a handgun. Mainly because I am a newbie to handguns. We have a saying in the Fire service, "Can't tie a knot, tie a lot." Going to adapt that to shooting a handgun. Ammo is cheap. I just want to make sure I am not getting anything that is going to damage the weapon.

Well congratulations on the Glock 27. I purchased one recently and have been very happy with it as I know you will. I just wish I could find some SD ammo for it. I guess I should be happy that I am still able to find target ammo.

Max

Hi. I am new to handguns and will me purchasing my first handgun, a Glock 27 tomorrow.

I have one quote for $508. Which may or may not be the best deal. I am not Law Enforcement - I'm just a Firefighter. However I have heard mixed answers on if I am eligible for the LEO discount. I am still pricing and I have a few LE friends tracking down numbers. However from what I read, what I was quoted seems to be a decent PA price. I would rather take the certainty of having the gun tomorrow over waiting just to save like $20.

Anyway, back to the point. I'm looking for ammo and handguns are a different animal from my normal 12 gauge shot-gun which will just about shoot anything that shoots! :wink:

I'm looking on Buds, and they have Federals (which I use in my Shotgun) but with 4 different grains.

135 to 180 grains. With shotguns I am used to high brass and low brass - but with the Glock I am more worried for what the gun is rated for and what will fire without damaging the gun. I'm assuming the lighter 135 grain would provide less recoil and more accurate rapid firing with the caveat being that its effective distance would be diminished. Which is acceptable to me, I'm getting a sub compact for self defense. I'm not using it for 100 yard take downs. There will be two times I will be using this weapon. First is at the Gun range, the second would be to protect my well being and my home. Normally I lead off with less-than lethal 12-gauge rounds to scare off the perpetrator, the .40 is for when I really need to use lethal force to protect myself. I'm not going for a tactical arm shot, if I have to use this gun, I'm going for 3 shots center mass to kill.

So. being new to hand guns. I need some advice to make sure I'm on the right track.

Thanks,
Mike

I have one quote for $508. Which may or may not be the best deal. I am not Law Enforcement - I'm just a Firefighter. However I have heard mixed answers on if I am eligible for the LEO discount.
Mike, you are eligible for the LE discount. I get it for being Retired Military. You have to find a Glock LE dealer in order to get it. Check this site for more info. Glock Law Enforcement Individual Officer Sales usglock - Home Page Prices should be in this area...

Glock 17, 19, 22, 23, 26, 27, 31, 32, 33

Fixed Sights $438.00

Trijicon Night Sights $519.00

Glock Night Sights $497.00

Last edited:
RE: to Mike

Thanks,
Mike

I use Winchester Ranger T (RA40TA) or RBCD blended metal rounds in my G22 & my wife's G27.

I am new here and this is my first post, my recomendations are below for what I use. I like the RBCD round & I will post links below for demonstrations. One of the demonstrations talks about armor piercing & limited penetration but the RBCD premium are strictly for seld defence and are not AP rounds, but they do go thru glass & car doors without issue but when they hit flesh, WOW.

I am still on the fence on just how well the RBCD ammo will perform but if it lives up to the mfr claims it would seem rank right up there with the best HP rounds.

Hope I don't open up a can of worms, but does anyone else have any experience with the RBCD blended metal loads? I would love some feedback!

Here are the links for the RBCD:

Titles to choose are: RBCD Demo Shoot & RBCD Smart ammo

YouTube - rbcd

http://www.rbcd.net/

Joey

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members