"Best Defense" Idea

Austin

I was watching "Best Defense" today and they mentioned that you should have a cell phone charging in your safe room, go-to room (or whatever you want to call it) to call 9-1-1 in the event of a home invasion. Definitely a cell phone and not a regular land line cell phone, as a home invader might cut the line before invading.

This is something that I had not thought of and thought I might pass it along to you all.

I also am fairly sure that cell phones will dial 9-1-1 whether they have service or not. Some FCC regulation supposedly makes this happen.

My question is this: if I go to wal-mart and get a "trac phone" or another kind of pay-as-you-go phone, should it work for this even though it will have never been set up?

I know it sounds like I answered my own question but think about it. An ATT phone will only work with ATT service Etc... And will contact ATT automatically when you try to use it before you have service set up. Is this how it contacts 9-1-1 (through a "network" like that)? Or is it built into the phone?

I am sure that the easiest thing to do is go buy one and try it but I dont really care to call 9-1-1 and tell them that I was just testing something. Or worse, need it in an emergency and it not work (not an option).

So hopefully someone has some knowledge that they will lend.........

The "pre-paid" variety of phone is notoriously "cheap" in construction. Signal strength isn't as good as phones that you would buy with a "regular" plan. With that said, here are a couple of suggestions. First one would be to save your old cell phone and charger when you upgrade to a new plan. Another option would be to check out the local pawn shops. I find some excellent deals there. The lowest cost "pre-paid" phone I've seen on the market runs around $15. Pawn shops sell cell phones starting at $5.

From what I understand, Federal law requires cell phones to be capable of connecting to 911 as long as there is power to the phone and it's in a "good" signal area. The phone does not have to be activated and if it's TDMA, GSM or iDEN, smart card does not need to be installed. There are many groups that distribute donated cell phones to senior citizens and domestic violence victims to use as a "hotline" to 911. If you check your cell phone bill, there's a charge for the "Universal Service Fee". This fee is what telecommunications companies use to ensure that 911 from a payphone or unactivated cell phone will work.

If you're in dire need of a phone, I have many that I'm willing to part with. I do think that you'll have better luck checking out the sources in your local area though.

gf

:girl_wink:
I was watching "Best Defense" today and they mentioned that you should have a cell phone charging in your safe room, go-to room (or whatever you want to call it) to call 9-1-1 in the event of a home invasion. Definitely a cell phone and not a regular land line cell phone, as a home invader might cut the line before invading.

This is something that I had not thought of and thought I might pass it along to you all.

I also am fairly sure that cell phones will dial 9-1-1 whether they have service or not. Some FCC regulation supposedly makes this happen.

My question is this: if I go to wal-mart and get a "trac phone" or another kind of pay-as-you-go phone, should it work for this even though it will have never been set up?

I know it sounds like I answered my own question but think about it. An ATT phone will only work with ATT service Etc... And will contact ATT automatically when you try to use it before you have service set up. Is this how it contacts 9-1-1 (through a "network" like that)? Or is it built into the phone?

I am sure that the easiest thing to do is go buy one and try it but I dont really care to call 9-1-1 and tell them that I was just testing something. Or worse, need it in an emergency and it not work (not an option).

So hopefully someone has some knowledge that they will lend.........

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back