Best coating for a boat gun.

Davidm

Have a buddy in Florida who wants to keep a shotgun on his boat and asked me what the best coating is for that and where to get it done, and I have no idea.
Not sure if this is something cerakote would be good for, or if there is something else out there.
Thanks.

How is it going to be stowed on the boat? In an airtight container or exposed to the elements?

How is it going to be stowed on the boat? In an airtight container or exposed to the elements?
Since I would assume it will not be exposed to the environment except when in use, I highly recommend a Pelican case. They are pricey but are injection moulded to take a beating and have a highly water resistant o-ring design. They can also serve as a PFD. I highly recommend storing it in a case under conditions like it will likely be subject to on the water. Pelican are unbeatable.

The Place To Be

Since I would assume it will not be exposed to the environment except when in use, I highly recommend a Pelican case. They are pricey but are injection moulded to take a beating and have a highly water resistant o-ring design. They can also serve as a PFD. I highly recommend storing it in a case under conditions like it will likely be subject to on the water. Pelican are unbeatable.

The Place To Be

+1. Absolutely the right choice. The case would also protect extra ammo. As for the price tag, it is in the same range as a cerakote job.

Have a buddy in Florida who wants to keep a shotgun on his boat and asked me what the best coating is for that and where to get it done, and I have no idea.
Not sure if this is something cerakote would be good for, or if there is something else out there.
Thanks.
Buy a shotgun with marine grade chrome plate. Then clean it regularly.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I'd go parkerizing over cerakote on ferrous metal. If aluminum just rough up the anodizing and spray and bake cerakote. On my 590a1 I had the receiver since it is aluminum alodined and then cerakoted. I just had them degrease the barrel and magazine tube well and spray cerakote over the park. No rust issues thus far.

The park will act as a primer and give an extra layer of rust protection.

Or kg kphos all the metal including aluminum and then kg gunkote the metal over that. You won't have any rust issues probably if you do these two types of finishes.

Kphos is basically a spray on phosphate coating. You can actually use it on aluminum as well. It acts as both a primer and another layer of rust protection.

Ive included a pic of my Mossberg 500 20 gauge that was kphos on all metal inside the receiver and out and then kg gunkoted in milspec od green as an example.

Also ive included a pic of my magpul fde cerakoted 590a1 mentioned above.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
1e8e6f2a939c5c9a1ce7fed744e5c02f.jpg
4a78d697aae1bc99767b8df9af10fdb0.jpg

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back