Best answer when asked why I carry?

xdmowner615

Ok so here's what I always say to the people who ask me why I carry. It's simple and straight forward feel free to use this response. This works for CCW or open carry. The scenerio starts with me at the mini golf course OC because it was more comfortable when a woman and her son come up behind me. To add insult to injury the mother told the son to move behind her, I asked why she made that action, and she responded it was because of the gun, the conversation then went like this:

Woman: "why do you carry a gun?"

Me: "can I answer the question with a question?"

Woman: "sure I guess that's ok."

Me: "If wearing a seatbelt wasn't a law would you still where one?"

Woman: "Yes I would"

Me: "why?"

Woman: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Me: "You just answered why I carry"

Woman: "Really what's the reason?"

Me: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Also you can ask if they have a fire extinguisher this works also.

I like that.

I always say, "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. But I pray every day I never need it."

I also build on that sometimes with, "I think it would be easier to live with the knowledge that I was justified in shooting someone rather than to live the rest if my life wondering 'what if?'"

Ok so here's what I always say to the people who ask me why I carry. It's simple and straight forward feel free to use this response. This works for CCW or open carry. The scenerio starts with me at the mini golf course OC because it was more comfortable when a woman and her son come up behind me. To add insult to injury the mother told the son to move behind her, I asked why she made that action, and she responded it was because of the gun, the conversation then went like this:

Woman: "why do you carry a gun?"

Me: "can I answer the question with a question?"

Woman: "sure I guess that's ok."

Me: "If wearing a seatbelt wasn't a law would you still where one?"

Woman: "Yes I would"

Me: "why?"

Woman: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Me: "You just answered why I carry"

Woman: "Really what's the reason?"

Me: "Because you don't know what could happen, and it could save your life"

Also you can ask if they have a fire extinguisher this works also.
Makes sense to me!!!

Why I Don't Carry.

"Why I Don't Carry" is a post I saw, and liked. I will paste a copy of it here when I get home. It started " I don't carry, because its cool.
I liked it because it is a fresh way to say why you DO carry.

Mike

The Socratic method is great for questions like these. I often use the "fire extinguisher" version, emphasizing the fact that I never, ever want to *have* to use either

A quaint little ditty you may have heard before. It goes like this.... "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of happiness." In today's world of thug to police ratio it just makes sense.

To expand on olspsparky's response, that period of saying "what if" might just be minutes. I also pray I never have to use my weapon, but I would rather use my weapon than have my loving wife mourn the fact that I was not able to defend her and myself. In Arizona, when I first got a Concealed Weapon Permit, many businesses posted "No Weapons" signs. Every time I encountered one, I put the business owner on notice that if I was injured or killed because I had been stripped of my ability to defend myself, they would be hit with a huge lawsuit for allowing as situation that deprives a law-abiding citizen protection from a criminal who would disregard their silly little sign. Oh, and by the way, say good-bye to my money, as well.

@wuzfuz - The "what if" I was talking about is if a situation did occur that necessitated using my gun and I had decided not to carry that day. I think it would be difficult wondering how things might have been different if I had been prepared. But you are right, it might be a short time if I am among the victims. Good thing I always have it where I am allowed to carry.

Because those that protect the many are few, over worked, under paid and generally respond to crime instead of prevent it. I trust my safety to one man, me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back