Best and Worst

RDW

I travel quite a bit for both business and pleasure. I am on a plane at least three time a month for business and try to make at least one major hunting trip a year. Two if my wife will let me get away with it.

Best airline so far:

This would be a tossup between Southwest Airline and Alaska Air.

I fly out of Lubbock Texas on Southwest to Dallas, Austin, Houston, Harligen and points east. I have always been met with a smile when I walked up to the counter and declared that I was traveling with a handgun. Never a fuss, just sign the card and put it in the hard case, put the case in checking luggage and have a nice day. It has always been the same thing on the return trip.

Alaska Air, I cant say enough good things about Alaska Air. I have traveled with both handguns and long guns. This is an airline that caters to the outdoors-man. The last time that I flew into Anchorage the flight attendant made an announcement as we were taxiing in that there was a hunting party that was running late to meet an outfitter and catch a float plane, could everyone stay seated until the hunting party was off the plane. As we departed she told us that a baggage handler was bringing up our gun case and good luck.

Airline that will never get another penny from me:

American Airline

Flying out of Phoenix with a long gun on my way to Seattle. Got to the counter, declared that I had a fire arm. The counter attendant called a supervisor. After a 15 minute hassle the end of the conversation went something like this.

Supervisor: So...on a hunting trip?

Self: Yes.

Supervisor: HMMM..well I guess there is no law against it.

Self: No

As I was walking away one of them mumbled " Piece of s**t"
I turned and said "WHAT DID YOU SAY"
Neither would say anything.

When I got to Seattle my gun case looked like it had been thrown out of the back of a moving pickup. Wheels were torn off, deep scratches and a large dent in one side (looked like a boot print)

After getting back home I filed a claim and even sent pictures with it. In the end I was told I could not verify what the case looked like before the trip. I informed them I would get a lawyer. They asked how much the case was worth. I told them that I payed 300 dollars for it. He laughed and said that he guaranteed it would be cheaper in the long run for me to just buy another case.

Good post. I haven't flown with any firearms yet but will be next time I go home to New Orleans. I guess it is a good idea to snap some pictures before they take it.

Thanks for the post. American has always been one of my favorite airlines, I may have to rethink that.

My disappointment was with Amtrak. I hate flying & really don't trust the airlines with my luggage what more my guns, but Amtrak offers no way to travel with a weapon. It is forbidden unless you are law enforcement & have special permission from them to carry. This includes weapons for hunting also;absolutely NO guns allowed.

Well I can see why I do not like trains.They can haul all kinds of nasty stuff through little towns and make big messes with it but no hunting guns. Come on people.

....When I got to Seattle my gun case looked like it had been thrown out of the back of a moving pickup. Wheels were torn off, deep scratches and a large dent in one side (looked like a boot print)

After getting back home I filed a claim and even sent pictures with it. In the end I was told I could not verify what the case looked like before the trip. I informed them I would get a lawyer. They asked how much the case was worth. I told them that I payed 300 dollars for it. He laughed and said that he guaranteed it would be cheaper in the long run for me to just buy another case.

Having used airline services for most of my life (travel options off of these rocks in the middle of the Pacific are limited) I've gotten fairly familiar with airline policies and rules. Most airlines won't compensate you if your luggage is damaged. The general policy is that the luggage is supposed to protect the contents. should the contents become damaged or missing, then it's covered. Broken straps, wheels, handles, etc on luggage isn't covered. Due to this policy, some folks take it upon themselves to treat your luggage badly. If I know I may be dealing with "hostile" personnel, I'll photograph the inside and outside of my luggage. I'll place the color photos from my inkjet printer in the luggage. When TSA checks it out, they'll see the way things are packed and most have been smart enough to figure out that I've documented what's in there. When they get "tempted", (hence They'll Steal Anything) hopefully they think twice. :wink:

gf

I have to agree with RDW. Southwest is by far the most gun friendly airline. Having traveled on Southwest for 15 years now and several trips with my Glock 26 and 1 with my Ar-15 M4, they just smile and say sign here and your done. No "is it loaded" qestions or anything. Which is why Southwest gets all my money when I need to hop on a bird.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back