Best 9mm Home Defense/Conceal Carry Round

I still like the federal HST 147 grain that I found about a year ago after doing some research just like you. they have a specially designed hollow point that does not plug up after going through things like glass or clothes or stuff like that so they expand very reliably. they are reasonably priced at around 24 dollars a box for 50 rounds. what made me choose the federal HST for my 9mm, .40 and .45 was this link right here. at the bottom of the page you can see a fired bullet completely covering a nickle... now that is impressive expansion for a 9mm! check it out here: http://www.btfh.net/shoot/bullet-test-2.html

Last edited:
I thought SXTs were 147 gr, in 9mm so I checked before posting. I also found out they changed the name to T-Series

The more I see what is going on at the shelves in the stores I hope the answer to the question "What is the best round" soon is not ... THE ONE YOU CAN GET!

I still have Black Talon round's and will still use them in my S&W 469
Bill

I still have a few too. SXT and now T-Series are the Politically Correct replacements for Black Talon. Same bullet just different name and different color. Go figure.:hang3:

hot hand loads mostly in 9mm first one is a 158 grain 3/4 jacket hollow point after that its a mixed load of jacked hollow points and solids last couple of rounds is tracers,have a 20 rd mag in my pistol.

hot hand loads mostly in 9mm first one is a 158 grain 3/4 jacket hollow point after that its a mixed load of jacked hollow points and solids last couple of rounds is tracers,have a 20 rd mag in my pistol.

Best be careful. Most "Experts" will tell you it's legally not a good idea to carry handloads in your personal defense weapon.

try some hand loads in 38 special with hollowbase wad cutters turned unside down for a huge hollow point that really expands ,never seen anything about not useing your own special loads for defence rounds befor.i thought the whole object is to stop them befor they get you .

try some hand loads in 38 special with hollowbase wad cutters turned upside down for a huge hollow point that really expands ,never seen anything about not using your own special loads for defense rounds before.i thought the whole object is to stop them be for they get you .

It's pretty common knowledge that "Firearm Experts" advise against using reloads for 2 main reasons. First is reliability. It's too easy to contaminate a primer, undercharge, or have an over or under length case or some other unforeseen problem with reloads. Second is liability. If you are actually involved in a shooting and even if you are cleared by the police there is a good chance you will still get sued by the bad guy or his next of kin. An unscrupulous lawyer can try to say that you are really a vicious killer that cooked his own special killer load with intent to inflict maximum harm to my "Poor Client". Take a jury that don't understand firearms and you could have a very costly problem even if you wind up winning. This is the main reason that People like Massad Ayoob and other "Big Gun" firearm trainers advise against handloads in you self defense gun. They're great for practice, but not for carry. A good rule of thumb is find out what your local police use and use the same.

It's pretty common knowledge that "Firearm Experts" advise against using reloads for 2 main reasons. First is reliability. It's too easy to contaminate a primer, undercharge, or have an over or under length case or some other unforeseen problem with reloads. Second is liability. If you are actually involved in a shooting and even if you are cleared by the police there is a good chance you will still get sued by the bad guy or his next of kin. An unscrupulous lawyer can try to say that you are really a vicious killer that cooked his own special killer load with intent to inflict maximum harm to my "Poor Client". Take a jury that don't understand firearms and you could have a very costly problem even if you wind up winning. This is the main reason that People like Massad Ayoob and other "Big Gun" firearm trainers advise against handloads in you self defense gun. They're great for practice, but not for carry. A good rule of thumb is find out what your local police use and use the same.

That is some great advice. I never looked at reloads in that light before.

I will have to check with my local PDs to see what they shoot in their duty pistols. Awesome advice!:thank_you2:

You joined the board this month. I see you have approx. 11 posts. Rather than ask a question that has likely been asked by numerous others before you, why not use the "search" feature and see if you can find an answer there?

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handgun-discussion/5980-9mm-ammo.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/general-firearm-discussion/5369-what-grain-go-2.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handgun-ammunition-reloading/4868-personal-protection-ammo-help.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handgun-ammunition-reloading/3710-winchester-ammo.html

http://www.usacarry.com/forums/handgun-discussion/2017-conceder-caliber-you-carry-2.html

These are a few threads that I found that had some very useful information after searching a few minutes. What's wrong with the opinion of the sales staff? They're working the ammo counter because they're the most knowledgeable people in the store, right? :wink:

gf

LOL! Are you serious? :sarcastic:

Ah, so many friendly people on the internet and so little time.

To the OP. I use the Speer Gold dot 124 gr +p and the Remington 147 Golden Saber standard pressure rounds in both my 9mms as well as my G36 .45. Either of um will do the job quite nicely. :pleasantry:

i would find out what local law enforcement uses and carry that. because that way if you are involved in a shooting incident, some over eager prosecuter can't claim you intended to do excess damage by carrying a hot load. if the police use it, it should be good enough for citizens. imho

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back