Best 9mm for Concealed Carry?

I carry a Bersa Thunder .45 whenever possible. I have had too many friends who have complained about failures and the inabilities of a 9mm to stop an attacker to wish to put my stock in one of those firearms.

Wow...how many of your friends have been attacked and had these failures and inabilities to stop the attackers? Sounds like you have a good number who have had these situations - did they make it out OK? Seems like they have since they were still, apparently, able to replay the attacks to you. With all of these failures and inabilities to stop the attackers, how did they eventually get out of these obviously precarious situations?

Just wonderin...

Ultimately settled on Springfield handguns. They pointed right for me, gripped well, and had all the features I was looking for (I didn't want a thumb safety, and like the grip/trigger combo). I have both the XD(M) or XD-S in 9mm and 45ACP versions. If you want compact size and capacity, the XD(M) compact with hold 13+1 9mm with a standard mag (although the pinky can feel a little left out). Voila! Pearce grip extension. And, you have a 19rd extended mag. They are a little more heavy than the G19, but after holding and shooting both, I just preferred how the Soringfields felt over the Glocks.

The XD-S will take you down in size and disappear when you carry them, but the capacity definitely takes a hit... 7+1 standard mag (again, pinky extension), and 9rd extended mag. Shorter barrel, much slimmer grip, same safety features.

As others have said... go out, hold, shoot, take down, and find what fits you best. The best carry gun is the one you'll carry and become intimately familiar with.

I would go with the Sig P-938 since you like the 1911 platform. I have a Sig P-238 Equinox (.380) same gun, smaller cartridge. This is my EDC in a Remora clipless holster. I purchased a Kimber Solo CDP LG that I have wanted since they were introduced a few years ago. It's a totaly unreliable gun. I and several other people get 10% FTE with this gun. I plan on selling it and getting the Sig 938 Equinox...............

A 9mm 1911 for concealed carry. Answer is...Colt New Agent. I've had one for about two years. The trench/gutter sight takes a bit of getting used to. But once that's done, you'll find the sight is extremely fast. With the exception of Hornady Critical Defense, this gun has eaten everything I've fed it.

The only other malfunction was a failure to feed when I purposely tried to determine how many rounds the recoil spring assembly could handle before failing. Mine failed around 1,450 rounds. Since then, I've replaced the recoil assembly every 1,000 rounds. No failures other than what I've already mentioned.

This gun is a soft shooter which enables quick follow-up shots. Also, I like that Colt's 8-round 9mm mags allow the same mental round counts as the 8-round .45 mags for my government model. Loaded with 8+1, I believe the New Agent weighs about 25 ounces.

Go with a pistol designed for Concealed Carry. M&P Shield, Ruger LC9, Kahr CM9 etc. Don't rule out Airweight .38's either. Awesome little guns. Consider thickness and weight with a CC gun purchase, It's more important that length and height.

Ruger makes a line of several 9MM concealed carry pistols, in both revolvers and auto-loaders. I have a SR9 that I bought before the SR9C came out. The real difference is the SR9C is smalle, lighter and holds less ammo. In any case I would recommend having at least 2 magazines when carrying. If you choosed a revolver, consider one that you can get load with pre-packed ammo, so all you have to do is open the gun, pop the old casings out and pop the one piece pack of ammo in, and your fully loaded and ready. As for myselfe, I perfer a Semi-automatic.

Handle a Springfield Armory XD-S 9mm (shoot one, if you may rent). They disappear in an IWB or OWB holster. As in my XD-S .45, you suffer reduced round count in a single stack, but it makes all the difference in the world how the sidearm carries, because it is thin.

Try 'em all, if you can. There is no single "right" choice. Bottom line, please yourself. The 9mm gives adequate stopping power, with modern ammo, as does the .40 or .45. The differences are minimal, in the real world.

Let us know what you get!

Stopping power has been debated since the rock, a well placed rock or bullet 22 thru 50 will stop you, how well is the problem. My choice of 9mm carry is a 45. Peace, Love, Colt 45.

The best choice is the one the works for you. What do I find important? Comfort in the hand, ability to shoot accurately, ease of operation and maintenance, ability to carry without hindrance in a variety of manners (IWB, Ankle, Jacket Pocket), if it can do all those, it is also capable of being carried in a belt or shoulder holster as well. If you go solely for lightweight, you may not enjoy shooting it much and then you will not be accurate with it. I personally prefer stainless steel or steel and alloy models. My latest is a Sig P938 SAS. Through 200 rounds it has been flawless shooting 115 & 124 gr FMJ ammo. It has carry melt treatment on the slide (rounded edges) night sights and I've added a Hogue Tamer Grip and Extended 7 round mag with finger extension base pad. If you like the Colt New Agent or the Springfield EMP in 9m, this a lighter, less massive version. I have mostly been a 45ACP and 40S&W shooter till I picked up this. It's the first 9mm I really enjoy carrying daily and it works well in my Blackhawk Ankle rig too. These are available in many versions and can be had starting about $550. If you shop around you can get the top of the line model for about $700 out the door including tax. An S&W M&P Shield 9 has more mass, carries 1 more round and will save you about $150 to $300, similar with the Ruger LC9; the New Agent & EMP will cost you about $350 to $550 more than the P938. Best thing you can do, weigh all the important aspects, hold them a lot, shoot them if possible. I have a Shield, I don't carry it very often due to the size. I would sooner carry my 4" barrel 1911 in 45. If you want a solid compact 9mm, I highly recommend the P938 lineup. I have not been a Sig fan at all, I had another model that was a problem child (a P290), but this one seems to live up to the Sig reputation I keep hearing about. Before I acquired the P938, I usually carried a Kahr MK40.

Look at a Sig. P938 it's a nine small,compact, and has night sights I carry one in A Remora IWB. Or check out the Sig. P238 thats in .380 a little smaller.
How does it shoot? I bought a Kel-Tec PF-9, but it's not great fun to shoot because it bites your palm, and the trigger will eat up your finger after just a few rounds.

How does it shoot? I bought a Kel-Tec PF-9, but it's not great fun to shoot because it bites your palm, and the trigger will eat up your finger after just a few rounds.

Put a Hogue Handall Jr on it, like $10 doesn't really add any size and makes the PF9 VERY comfortable in the hand.

SIG p229. It works everytime. Thats why it is used by Secret Service etc. No safety and decocked one in the chamber it is ready to shoot upon pulling from holster.

Look at a Sig. P938 it's a nine small,compact, and has night sights I carry one in A Remora IWB. Or check out the Sig. P238 thats in .380 a little smaller.

Have read of ejection problems with the P938. What has been your experience?

I carry a Glock 26 in a Galco stow& Go

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back