Beretta U.S.A. Corp. Wins Largest U.S. Military Handgun Contract Since World War II

{TEX}Hawaii((

All the Beretta reps were pumped at the Shot Show due to this contract. The press release was finally released. I am disapointed by the red tape that prevented the Army and the military from finding us a new service side arm... oh well.

Link Removed

Beretta U.S.A. Corp. Wins Largest U.S. Military Handgun Contract Since World War II
All Pistols to Be Built by U.S. Workers in Maryland

ACCOKEEK, Md., Jan. 29 /PRNewswire/ -- Beretta U.S.A. Corp. recently announced its receipt of a U.S. Army contract to provide up to 450,000 Beretta Model 92FS pistols to U.S. military customers throughout the world. The total value of the contract, if all pistol quantities and associated spare parts are ordered, is $220 million.

The contract was awarded along with a first delivery order for 20,000 pistols intended for the Iraqi military. Delivery of pistols against the contract has already begun.

"We are honored to see the quality and performance of the Beretta Model 92FS pistol continue to be acknowledged in this dramatic way," commented Cav. Ugo Gussalli Beretta, President of Beretta U.S.A. "It is clear that the Beretta 9mm pistol still sets the standard for military users throughout the world."

"This contract will help ensure jobs for hundreds of U.S. workers in the Beretta U.S.A. factory in Maryland for years to come," added Jeff Reh, General Counsel and Vice-General Manager for Beretta U.S.A. "Beretta U.S.A. was awarded the contract to provide the Beretta 9mm Model 92FS pistol as the standard sidearm for the U.S. Armed Forces back in 1985 and we have continued to do so on a constant basis ever since. About three years ago, Beretta U.S.A. received 13 separate contracts to provide Beretta 9mm pistols and associated spare parts to the U.S. Armed Forces. This new, larger contract will continue our efforts by supporting foreign military customers of the U.S. around the world."

For more information on the Beretta 92FS model, visit Link Removed.

Founded in 1977, Beretta U.S.A. currently employs about 300 employees in its production facility in Accokeek, Maryland and in its warehouse in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Beretta U.S.A. also operates two Beretta retail stores in the United States, one located at 718 Madison Avenue in New York City and the other found in the Highland Park Shopping Center in Dallas, Texas. Beretta U.S.A. imports and distributes firearms, clothing and accessories produced by the Beretta company in Italy as well as Sako and Tikka rifles manufactured by the Sako company in Finland. Beretta U.S.A. manufactures pistols and shotguns at its facility in Maryland, as well as clothing and accessories for shooting sports enthusiasts.

Beretta U.S.A. is part of the Beretta Holding group of companies, which includes Burris Optics in Colorado, Steiner International Optics located in Germany, and the firearm manufacturers Benelli, Franchi, Stoeger, Uberti, Sako and Tikka.

Jeffrey Reh
[email protected]
301-283-2191 x1223

This release was issued through eReleases(TM). For more information, visit Press Release Distribution Services and Press Release Writing.

SOURCE Beretta U.S.A.

Not AGAIN!?

Beretta did this last time too... when Sig Sauer came in with the low bid on the M11 9mm the "beauracracy" and chummy relationship the Beretta reps had earned them the highly suspect "second chance" to not only learn of Sig's lower bid, but the chance to under-cut Sig and keep us with the M9.

I really can't be surprised it has happened again - but dang! There's NO WAY Beretta provides a better, less expensive product for the Armed Services than Sig. Cheaper than H&K, but no way better.

Politics - again. Damn.

But don't get me wrong...

Not that I'm at all a Beretta-hater, because I'm not.

I'm just not a Beretta lover either. The placement of the safety/decocking lever on the slide combined with the employment of the Oscillating Locking Block (the 'weak link' in the over all design) and the relatively large frame makes the choice easily "beatable" by the smaller, tougher and simpler design of the M11 Sig, and virtually a sea of other options that just can't seem to get the attention Beretta commands from the powers that be.

I'd take a 92F if you gave me one, but when that locking block breaks (and it will in time), you can only throw a pistol at your opponent once!:rolleyes:

I am not a fan at all. When I was in Hawaii we went to a shooting competition in Austrailia. My unit brought 13 M9s and when we returned 11 were non mission capable. Of the 11, 9 of them had the same fault...the safety broke in half. Basically the safety which connects inside the gun broke and you could hold both safety levers in your hand. That being said, I have not had any problems with them in my few trips to the desert.

I don't know much about the engineering aspects of firearms, but I do know a bit about logic, and while its history is replete with success stories regarding it's performance, the 9mm round can be beat, hands-down, by better cartridges. As long as you're going to go non-American, better choices can be found with SIG and GLOCK in .40 caliber. I can't believe that the Beretta is a better firearm than EITHER of these other, proven arms. Springfield Armory has just come out with the XD(m) that provides 17 rounds of .40 . . . the GLOCK 22 can be loaded with 18 rounds!

Someone of you must know . . . just what's so special about the Beretta that makes it a better choice than any of these?

Right now it's just easier for the Army to keep what it currently uses vrs doing the work to find a new pistol. there will always be minimum criteria which a new firearm must meet. I am sure one of them will be an external safety...not common on XD and Glocks.

I am neither a Beretta hater or Beretta lover. I have the Beretta FS-92 with the stainless slide. It is accurate in my hands, and holds 15 in the mag and 1 in the pipe. However, having said that, heaven help those folks who get some dirt in their slide. This pistol does NOT like dirt in the slide, and may reward the shooter with NO shot to take. My issue would be for some non-combat carry, this arm is fine. If you are going to use it under adverse conditions, a good .45 is as good as any other firearm. They can be much more reliable with some mud on the gun than any Beretta can be. It seems a bad decision for general issue, and will likely be a disaster in the field. My sense is a well-designed newer model 1911 would be fine. There is a reason these .45 guns are still around, and a favorite of many shooters. Having 15 rounds in a magazine is pretty nice, but if you have a slide with mud on it, then those 15 rounds are useless. Just my 2 cents worth.

Right now it's just easier for the Army to keep what it currently uses vrs doing the work to find a new pistol. there will always be minimum criteria which a new firearm must meet. I am sure one of them will be an external safety...not common on XD and Glocks.

They already did the work, poured millions of dollars into the program, then suspended indefinetly a program to put the .45 back into service in the US military. The Ruger P345 was one of the entrants. Berreta is just too chummy and the army is too lazy. SOCOM and MarSOC has it right. They just special order their own .45's

Although I like the 9mm I think there are better guns than Beretta to be had in 9, 45 or what ever the choice is. It may not be a bad gun but it is not the firearm the HK or Sig is.

Beretta's design over Army logistics

I completely understand why/how the Army is slow to consider the enormous cost of replacing the M9, or the M-16/M-4 for that matter... (different subject, I know.)

But what I don't get is why Beretta just doesn't "fix" the issues born from their slide-mounted safety/decock and their oscillating locking block. The Taurus version of the same gun at least moves the safety/decock down onto the frame so you're not continually at risk of inadvertently flipping that lever down every time you conduct an emergency reload. Seems to be a relatively simple design issue that COULD be fixed... if they wanted to.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back